Aquaman

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Aquaman
« on: 11 May 2019, 10:42 pm »
What a waste of a mega budget full of special effects.  I'm sure that 15 year olds everywhere were riveted to the screen, but if you've seen the Matrix, know the King Arthur legend, saw Star Wars- Lord of the Rings- Godzilla-Pirates of the Caribbean- Gladiator..... you've already seen Aquaman. 
But I did manage to stay awake after the first 15 minutes.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Re: Aquaman
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2019, 01:27 am »
Agreed...🙄🙄

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2019, 01:23 pm »
My 13 year old daughter is a huge Marvel movie fan.  She panned this one. 

ctviggen

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2019, 02:56 pm »
My 9 and 11 year olds loved it.  My wife and I only saw about half of it (the last half), and I thought that part was OK.  It does not have good reviews at Rotten Tomatoes, though.  My kids might be biased, too, as they've just recently been allowed to watch PG-13 movies (only after we read reviews and provide consent). So, they are psyched every time they get to do so.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2019, 07:22 pm »
Jason Momoa had a blast making Aquaman and it shows. Yes almost every action scene borrowed (stole) bits from every other action movie since 1977's Star Wars, which borrowed bits from previous western films. The special effects were well done, vibrant cartoon colors, snappily edited, and totally over the top. Aquaman was exactly what I expected and I wasn't disappointed, it made the 11 year old in me happy.

Actually, I rented the Aquaman Blu-ray from Redbox for the DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 48kHz, 24-bit sound to try out my new REL Gibraltar G2 sub and it was a resounding success, the G2 does everything a state-of-the-art theater does but better, Aquaman has a lot of 30 Hz bass. We watched Dunkirk directed by Christopher Nolan last night, Hans Zimmer's score reaches 20 Hz, I had to use the G2's remote to lower the bass volume so it wasn't overwhelming.

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2019, 07:38 pm »
The blueray has an Atmos mix. It was way overdone. Basically they used the height channels like a sledgehammer during fight sequences and explosions. They didn't rally much for ambience to draw you into the mix otherwise.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2019, 09:08 pm »
I saw it with my daughter and thought it was a lot of fun.  I'm glad that DC is starting to put out movies that don't take themselves quite so seriously. 

S Clark

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2019, 10:07 pm »
I saw it with my daughter and thought it was a lot of fun.  I'm glad that DC is starting to put out movies that don't take themselves quite so seriously.
Like I said, 15 year olds would have been riveted.  Now about DC not taking it seriously... I have to agree, perhaps not quite as you meant it, however.   
But I can see how it would be a fun time for a dad and his kids, and I'm glad you guys had a good time.  Doubt if my daughter would enjoy it, but she's further down the road.   

mr_bill

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2019, 12:14 am »
I loved it and I’m older.

S Clark

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2019, 12:18 am »
I loved it and I’m older.
Some like blonds, some like brunettes.   
Thank goodness for variety. 

stlrman

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2019, 12:27 am »
My 12 year old and I loved it as well !!!
I thought it was visually stunning, tons of action . Thought Jason was great !!
But , I’m very easy to please . I like blondes and brunettes!! Even my wife’s grey hair! ;-)

S Clark

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2019, 12:31 am »
My 12 year old and I loved it as well !!!
I thought it was visually stunning, tons of action . Thought Jason was great !!
But , I’m very easy to please . I like blondes and brunettes!! Even my wife’s grey hair! ;-)

A man after my own heart.  Even Cowboy and Steeler fans can find common ground!

Actually, I did enjoy Jason's performance... just thought the story line was a tired retread.