Question about HT2-TL Speakers

joelmilr

Question about HT2-TL Speakers
« on: 16 Aug 2018, 06:25 pm »
Hi.
I more or less know the answer to my question but I have to make sure. I have a pair of HT2-TL speakers - I think the second pair ever made. Have been loving them all these years.
Me and the wife are about to do a renovation to the apartment and the architect and interior designer took one look at the speakers and almost fell off her chair. I explained to them that the speakers are nonnegotiable as far as  fitting into the new apartment design.
She asked if it is possible to enclose the speakers within a dry wall cabinet with a book cabinet built around it.
Is this going to kill the speakers sound, clarity, soundstage, sound in general? I imagine that it will but I promised her to check it out anyway.
Thanks in advance.
Joel

jsalk

Re: Question about HT2-TL Speakers
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2018, 06:32 pm »
Joel -

If the HT2-Tl's are not front ported, this would be a very bad idea.  Even if they are, it is still a bad idea.

For one thing, think about the front baffle.  It is 9" wide and the crossover was designed for this cabinet width.  If you mount them in a wall with the front of the cabinet even with the wall, the front baffle becomes as wide as the wall.  The crossover would need to be re-worked to accommodate this. Imaging would also be compromised.

I don't know why designers always want the speakers to be invisible in that they have no problem with other furniture.  But no designer knows what he/she is talking about when it comes to good sound. 

Of course, they will still make sound.  But it won't be good.  This is a bad idea all around.

Sorry.

- Jim

joelmilr

« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2018, 06:39 pm »
Thanks so much for your personal input Jim. I'm not surprised by your answer, but now I will have the professional backup to fight this issue.  :)
All the best
Joel

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2018, 07:15 pm »
I have been designing, building and replacing custom doors in high end homes for 38 years and in all that time I have seen just one stereo set up correctly. I could believe your designer has never seen a real stereo or heard great music. Make your next meeting non-confrontational. Invite him/her over for dinner, have a drink, ask what music they like (very important) and play something. Relax, tell your designer she is great, love what she is doing and looking forward to see what she comes up with that includes the HT2-TL's.

I also have HT2-TL's in my living room, the speakers are 24" from the rear of the speaker to the front wall which is perfect for a couple of round planters with a big Dracaena Marginata in each one. My local nursery has 5'-6' tall, full multi-stemed plants for $90 each, a nice planter will cost you though - your designer will pick the most expensive just to be passive aggressive, go with it.

R Swerdlow

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2018, 09:39 pm »
Using your best Marlon Brando Godfather voice, ask that interior designer what part of "nonnegotiable" she doesn't understand.

joelmilr

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2018, 08:08 pm »
Hi Again
So here are the rennovation plans. I am just showiwng the living room so as not to confuse anyone. This is the room for the new speakers. You can see two armchairs in the upperleft part of the diagram - behind that is a window along the whole room. The dark line in the middle of the room right across from the sofa is a support  pillar which runs through the building and cannot be removed without having the upstairs neighbors fall on my head.
So the big question is - where do I place my HT2 TL speakers?
The bottom left and center is a kitchen -
From sofa to opposite wall is 5.36 meters with support post stuck in the middle
Basically one big open space - from top to bottom is open space.
Feel creative - all suggestions welcome
And a big thank you for any thoughts.
All the best
Joel

JDoyle

« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2018, 09:39 pm »
A few questions first... where is your TV?
Is that location flexible?
Also explain the double rectangle shapes in front of your sofa/couch... is that the shape of your  coffee table?

JD

joelmilr

« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2018, 04:49 am »
Hi jd and thanks for the questions.
A TV will not be in this room. We keep it in a separate room.
The squares in front of the sofa are coffee tables. The round table to the right near the wall is a dining room table.
The furniture is placed in the drawing for illustrative purposes only.
Thanks

mick wolfe

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2018, 04:48 pm »
The round dining room table is definitely the stick in the mud. Maybe a narrow rectangular dining table roughly adjacent to the kitchen
/island with bench seating on the wall side.....small but comfy dining chairs on the kitchen side of the dining table.

WGH

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2018, 05:42 pm »
I agree, the round table just doesn't work in your new room anymore.

I put the couch facing the window for the view, the chairs will take care of some of the glass reflections and the pillar location allows the Salk's to be placed away from the front wall, they should sound great!
All wiring is under the floor of course.

abd1

• DailyFrenchie
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2018, 08:01 pm »
I agree, the round table just doesn't work in your new room anymore.

I put the couch facing the window for the view, the chairs will take care of some of the glass reflections and the pillar location allows the Salk's to be placed away from the front wall, they should sound great!
All wiring is under the floor of course.

Like it. I'd move the chairs to the corner behind the column and make a headphone area! Then you have room for your components behind the speakers, under the window wall, for neater cable run and you can sit on the couch and listen to music and look out the window. And have a headphone area.

JCarney

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2018, 08:26 pm »
I'd look for a new designer and architect. You are paying them to realize your dream. You are the boss, period. They do what you want or kick them to the curb. I owned and operated a painting business for 17 years, I DO NOT like designers or architects. Mostly a stuck up bunch.

Best of luck,
JCarney 

JDoyle

« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2018, 08:28 pm »
Yes, I’m along with the same idea, but I’m a little wider... and my sketch is crude!  :lol:

But the important key to this is a sofa table placed behind the sofa...  Not only great to place pictures and other tchotchkes on, but will act as a visual room divider/separator.

Here’s a modern table

Or a traditional style if that’s what you want

You can easily pull the chairs up beside your couch for critical listening too.

JD

joelmilr

« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2018, 04:59 am »
You people are great. I really appreciate your ideas and will definitely make it work.
Thanks so much for taking the time to sketch out these plans graphically.
When I first purchased these speakers years ago I knew I was receiving a great pair of speakers and a wonderful person (Jim Salk) standing behind them whenver I needed advice, but  I didn't realize what a great group of people came along with the deal.
 :notworthy:
I'll let you know how it turns out.
All the best
Joel