Audio Nirvana Super 10 Ferrite on Open Baffle...

NavyDoc

• Virabus mari victoria
Re: Audio Nirvana Super 10 Ferrite on Open Baffle...
« Reply #20 on: 31 May 2018, 02:11 pm »
Okay, so this thread isn't really taking off at all. But anyway, here's the current plan on what I'll probably be starting on this weekend as I finally have all four pairs of woofers finally. Throwing around a couple of ideas for the fullrange baffle design.

This looks like the PAP Quintet 15, a pretty nice design i may use for inspiration for future open baffle build.

I use a dbx Venu360 for my current speakers, I think this is a really awesome piece of equipment. More PEQ available than any person could ever need.

Very interested in how you like the AN driver.

Chops

« Reply #21 on: 1 Jun 2018, 03:17 am »
Chops,

I'm lurking and not participating because I have no experience with what you're doing. I'm interested, but I can't offer much more than some oohs and ahhs, and "Hey. That must sound awesome!"

Picture me as.... :popcorn:

Michael

As long as you're enjoying the posts, that's all that matters, right?!  :thumb:

Chops

« Reply #22 on: 1 Jun 2018, 03:24 am »
I think this can be fun if you know what you're doing and you've got a sense of adventure.

Of those two proposed designs as illustrated above, the first one looks like the better bet as far as WAF goes. 

BTW, your X-Statik's look very nice! :thumb:

The first one is definitely the much better design as far as WAF is concerned. Good thing is, I don't have to worry one bit about the WAF. And if I had a wife, she'd know way ahead of time that she would have no influence on my system anyway.

And thanks for the kind words about my X-Statik's. I love those speakers and will never sell them. They do most everything right. The only thing is, every time I put them back in my system, they give me that taste of open baffle sound, but lack the open baffle bass which is key to a open baffle system. Probably why I only use them for a few months at a time then go on to design/build an OB system. LOL

Chops

« Reply #23 on: 1 Jun 2018, 03:36 am »
This looks like the PAP Quintet 15, a pretty nice design i may use for inspiration for future open baffle build.

I use a dbx Venu360 for my current speakers, I think this is a really awesome piece of equipment. More PEQ available than any person could ever need.

Very interested in how you like the AN driver.

You're exactly right. They are the PAP Quintet15 design, but will be built completely with wood, Baltic Birch plywood in fact. The wings will also be larger than those on the Quintet15. The baffles are going to be 15" H x 19" W with 6" deep wings on either side of the woofers, which will give me a total baffle width of 31".

My current baffles are 15" wide with a single 9" wing on one side for a total width of 24" and I'm getting plenty of deep, impressive bass from a single woofer. At 31" with four drivers, I want to make sure I have plenty of bass output and efficiency with as little power and EQ as possible. I'm pretty sure I'll achieve that with this setup.

Honestly, the performance I'm getting right now with a single driver on a smaller baffle (solid down to around 35 Hz with no EQ), I see no reason why I can't get down to 20 Hz when I get the full system up and running with EIGHT 12" woofers on larger baffles.

mkane

« Reply #24 on: 2 Jun 2018, 01:35 am »
  I'll never understand anyone needing that many woofers. I use just 2 and it seems like too much at times.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #25 on: 2 Jun 2018, 04:46 am »
  I'll never understand anyone needing that many woofers. I use just 2 and it seems like too much at times.
He will use 4 woofers why his ''enclosure'' is an OB,
when there is no enclosure the bass att around 5dB.

Chops

« Reply #26 on: 2 Jun 2018, 04:48 am »
Because I demand true fullrange sound, not just midrange and treble.

mkane

« Reply #27 on: 3 Jun 2018, 06:58 pm »
  Backside

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #28 on: 4 Jun 2018, 02:43 am »
I some lost in this photo, the woofer is facing botton?
How its sounds?

mkane

« Reply #29 on: 4 Jun 2018, 03:58 pm »
Slot Loaded Open Baffle. Sounds just fine.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #30 on: 4 Jun 2018, 04:13 pm »
Very taste speaker :thumb:

Chops

« Reply #31 on: 5 Jun 2018, 02:08 am »
This was taken at the listening position just a few moments ago. Again, no EQ or tone adjustments. Just straight signal.

OzarkTom

« Reply #32 on: 5 Jun 2018, 02:14 am »
Any final pics Chops? Measurements looks great.

Chops

« Reply #33 on: 5 Jun 2018, 02:33 am »
Any final pics Chops? Measurements looks great.

Thanks for the kind words!

Unfortunately, everything still looks the same as in post #12 of this thread.

I never was able to build the new PAP Quintet15 style baffles this past weekend thanks to the crappy stores in my area. The Lowe's down the street had the BB plywood but their saw was dead. Home Depot had nothing but just plywood. We even went to the Lowe's in the next town over. They had the same BB plywood but they had clueless employees working there. They all said that the saw was out of square and was off an 8th inch for every 12 inches.

And I have no way of getting a sheet of 4 x 8 plywood home to cut it myself. The joys of owning a 2-seater sports car.

Chops

« Reply #34 on: 6 Jun 2018, 09:51 pm »
So I posted the RTA pic above on the Open Baffle Only page on FB which Danny Richie is also a member of. I stated that there was no EQ or tone controls used, just tweaking crossover points and gain on the woofers only, that the AN fullrange drivers were playing full out.

Anyway, a couple members there quickly questioned the flatness of the response, saying that it couldn't be because of the "extreme rise" of the Audio Nirvana Super 12. Even after reassuring them that this was an honest pic, they were still skeptical. So this after noon, about 30 minute ago, I took a series of measurements and took pics with my phone of both my laptop (displaying RTA) and my iPad Mini logged into the dbx Venu360 simultaneously. The dbx itself can also be seen in the background. This way, everyone can see all of the current settings via the iPad while seeing the results on the laptop and dbx.

These first two pics are just the left channel playing (woofer and AN), mic'ed at the listening position, with the mic facing directly at that speaker, centered on the phase plug of the AN which is exactly at my ear level...

These next three pics are close mic'ed at 1 meter on the right channel only. Again, the mic centered on the phase plug of the AN driver. Don't pay any attention on that pink lump to the far left on the iPad in that last pic. That is for the subwoofer output which is not being used. Just the teal color for the woofers and the purple for the AN drivers.

This pic shows just the AN driver by itself, still mic'ed at 1 meter centered on the phase plug.

This last one is of the full system mic'ed at the listening position.

That's a pretty healthy flat response considering the flimsy temp baffles used, and no corrections of any kind being used. I am highly impressed with this setup so far and could quite honestly live very happily with it as is. But we all know that isn't going to happen since I have 3 more pairs of these Eminence woofers sitting here boxed up, ready to go! It can only get better from here!

gils

« Reply #35 on: 7 Jun 2018, 01:42 am »
hello,

Use REW, it will be much more accurate than your soft, you may be a little less enchant ;)

cdt.Gilles

Chops

« Reply #36 on: 7 Jun 2018, 02:02 am »
hello,

Use REW, it will be much more accurate than your soft, you may be a little less enchant ;)

cdt.Gilles

Very doubtful. I've compared REW to the dbx before and the results were very similar.

Dynky

« Reply #37 on: 7 Jun 2018, 06:04 am »
Not trying to blow the bubble (and if it sounds good there's no reason it should), but keep in mind that the vertical scale divisions on the 360 are at a pretty rough 10dB, so it quickly seems surprisingly smooth :wink:

FYI; I use the Venue360 myself (for perfect sub integration) and am very happy with it, but for serious measurements I use Smaart.

gils

« Reply #38 on: 7 Jun 2018, 09:46 am »
Hello Chops,

Choose another scale and measurement accuracy (1/48 octave / +/- 5 db) so that we really see the curve of this speaker, it would be interesting to see a curve without electronic correction by the dbx.
a raw curve is a good indicator to see the real potential of this speaker.

cdt.Gilles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 7 Jun 2018, 09:52 am »

What do you have in hardwere that made this abrupt phase change at 35Hz?
Do the Fs is 35Hz?