Anybody audition Diptyque line of speakers?

eduke55

Anybody audition Diptyque line of speakers?
« on: 30 Mar 2023, 09:47 pm »
I have been researching this brand, out of France, and they seems very interesting. They make several models and reviews are very positive. Not inexpensive but do not need to be plugged into ac and not to difficult to drive. Like most planars they cannot play extremely loud, nor do they reproduce very deep bass. Hoping to audition their model DP-107 soon. When I do, I'll leave my impressions. 😎

Saturn94

Re: Anybody audition Diptyque line of speakers?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Apr 2023, 11:23 pm »
I’d love to hear them, though they are way above what I could pay for speakers.  It would be interesting to compare them to Magnepan.

eduke55

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2023, 12:49 am »
I have an audition scheduled for Wednesday of their DP-107 model. I will post my musing soon afterwards. I'm more curious than serious at this point but in this hobby you never know! :)

eduke55

« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2023, 01:19 am »
First audition of Diptyque 107's!
My impressions were very favorable. This model is not very big, and just one up from their smallest(and least expensive) model. Like many great panel speakers, they were free of any box colorations and very involving. Sure, they were clear and detailed but never overly bright or edgy sounding. They were driven by a Cyrus ONE Cast all in one integrated amp, dac and streamer. Even though Bluetooth was used to stream Tidal to it, I was impressed with how well this Cyrus did driving the Diptyques. I am going back to listen again with different front end and amp.
 The Diptyque 107's were in a good size room(16x19x9') and had no problem filling that room with great sound. Played mono selections to check speaker setup and a few classical selections for depth and scale. No complaints, rather these speakers had me enjoying everything I played through them. They did not make not so good recordings sound better, but they did not make them sound worse either! Vocals, both female and male were excellent, and I really enjoyed the listening experience with these speakers. I did not listen to them at very high levels(85+db), but I think they could handle high levels. I'll confirm that at the next session. These speakers did not seem difficult to set up and optimize for the best response. Not sure when the next audition will happen yet, but could be early May. Will post afterwards.

Saturn94

« Reply #4 on: 16 Apr 2023, 01:57 am »
Thanks for posting your impressions.

How was the bass response?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2023, 03:14 am »
I heard them at RMAF a few years ago and they were very good sounding speakers.

Fidel Costar

« Reply #6 on: 16 Apr 2023, 03:23 am »
Great sounding panels, better built than Magnepans. And they easily show differences between amplifiers. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #7 on: 16 Apr 2023, 07:02 pm »
That mounting system is really clever.
https://fidelityimports.com/

You have to scroll through the pictures, it's the 4th one in.

eduke55

« Reply #8 on: 16 Apr 2023, 07:43 pm »
Regarding bass response. For the size of this panel and the considerable room, I thought the bass response was very good. I do not think a subwoofer is needed unless you want more visceral impact of bass. This model(107) is one step up from their smallest panel and is the latest addition to the Diptyque line. I played a few tracks that feature piano and they sounded great through these 107's. At my next audition I will definitely test the bass(rock, organ, club/disco tracks) as well as dynamic range. I'll have my db meter with me. 8)

Saturn94

« Reply #9 on: 16 Apr 2023, 10:52 pm »
Regarding bass response. For the size of this panel and the considerable room, I thought the bass response was very good. I do not think a subwoofer is needed unless you want more visceral impact of bass. This model(107) is one step up from their smallest panel and is the latest addition to the Diptyque line. I played a few tracks that feature piano and they sounded great through these 107's. At my next audition I will definitely test the bass(rock, organ, club/disco tracks) as well as dynamic range. I'll have my db meter with me. 8)

:thumb:

josh358

« Reply #10 on: 5 May 2023, 10:52 pm »
I have been researching this brand, out of France, and they seems very interesting. They make several models and reviews are very positive. Not inexpensive but do not need to be plugged into ac and not to difficult to drive. Like most planars they cannot play extremely loud, nor do they reproduce very deep bass. Hoping to audition their model DP-107 soon. When I do, I'll leave my impressions. 😎
I've heard varying reports. Most have been positive, but one person whose ears I respect complained that they had one note bass.

eduke55

« Reply #11 on: 6 May 2023, 02:30 am »
Not sure what one note bass is, but on my audition I think the bass was impressive for the size of the speaker. I will reserve final judgement on the 107 pending next audition, hopefully later this month.

josh358

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2023, 01:18 pm »
Not sure what one note bass is, but on my audition I think the bass was impressive for the size of the speaker. I will reserve final judgement on the 107 pending next audition, hopefully later this month.
A strong peak in the frequency response that tends to emphasize one frequency (one note) at the expense of others.

eduke55

« Reply #13 on: 6 May 2023, 05:57 pm »
If that what one note bass is, the 107's did not have that quality. Imho.

Saturn94

« Reply #14 on: 6 May 2023, 06:22 pm »

The room/setup certainly plays a big role in the bass response one gets at the listening position.

josh358

« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2023, 09:57 pm »
Sorry I didn't get a chance to hear them myself. But as eduke55 says, the room plays a big role, and hotel rooms are pretty terrible. One of my disappointments at audio shows is that even great speakers sound mediocre, hard to tell what's what. Another being that they always play Diana Krall, who sounds good on anything. You never hear something really demanding like an orchestra. I leave the room not knowing what I've heard!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2023, 10:18 pm »
Put on Zappa's Apostrophe' and you'll know in 2 minutes what you've got.

josh358

« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2023, 12:34 am »
Put on Zappa's Apostrophe' and you'll know in 2 minutes what you've got.
:-)

That's a great record. At one point, the synth sounds come from outside the stereo triangle. Very cool effect -- don't know whether they just inverted the phase, or used crosstalk cancellaton.

Chops

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jul 2023, 01:39 am »
nor do they reproduce very deep bass.

Who told you that?

I listened to the DP107's for a good length of time at the Florida Audio Expo this year, and they had no issues putting out some good deep bass. They're rated to 40 Hz, the same as my Maggie 1.7's, but I swear they were digging deeper than my 1.7's, and my Maggies get down to the low to mid 30 Hz range in my room.

josh358

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2023, 11:13 am »
Who told you that?

I listened to the DP107's for a good length of time at the Florida Audio Expo this year, and they had no issues putting out some good deep bass. They're rated to 40 Hz, the same as my Maggie 1.7's, but I swear they were digging deeper than my 1.7's, and my Maggies get down to the low to mid 30 Hz range in my room.
I've heard the bass was kind of one note. You can get more bass than that way, but the response isn't smooth.