WyWires USB Cable

highfilter

WyWires USB Cable
« on: 25 Mar 2011, 03:59 am »
Weeeee! Alex sent me another one of his juicy creations and it's another winner.

Bottom line: If you are looking for an excellent USB cable to go between your source and DAC, this cable should be very high up on your list. Sonic texture, organic, extended frequencies that are not rolled-off yet have no digital edge or glare, dynamic and just overall beautiful sounding. Alex sent it to me to try out, but it's mine now! Further details below, including pictures...

Comparison shot of my dB Audio Labs Essential SE cable and the WyWires:

Quick system overview: Mac Mini (2010, 8GB ram, SSD, Music on external Oyen via FW, PI Audio PC) -> dB Audio Tranquility SE DAC -> W4S STP-SE Preamp -> DAC Cherry Jr. Amp -> Salk SoundScape 10s. Currently have all WyWires cabling except for some power cords on various equipment.

I have been using the dB Audio Labs Essential SE USB cable between the Mac Mini and DAC and it has been great. I also used to use the regular edition of the Essential USB and the SE was a step-up from that, but not a mind-blowing step-up. Little more focus and air and slightly more organic sounding. Then Alex came out with all his digital cable goodies and sent me his USB cable to try out. Within the first song, I was grinning. No break-in or anything on my part, just slapped it in and wanted to hear it right away. If you've tried any of Alex's cables in general, the USB cable carries the same general great sound as you'd expect. Very very nice step-up on the sound quality compared to the dB Audio cable. Very much like the same kind of change with switching out some ICs with WyWires, but maybe even to a greater extent. Any changes to the source or DAC usually have more impact, and this is a wonderful way to increase the transparency and musical happiness in a system. Brief comparisons below for different areas:

Physical: The dB Audio cable is thicker and has bulkier connectors (also longer) and has a lot more weight to it. It's also not as flexible. The WyWires is thinner and is very flexible and more regular sized connectors. Very nicely built, as are all the WyWires stuff. I personally prefer lighter cables if they sound amazing, and the WyWires does indeed. Another bonus is that the WyWires cable fits very tightly and securely in the DAC and Mac Mini. The dB Audio cable was kind of loose in the DAC end and even more loose in the Mac Mini end. Not sure if it is because the actual cable has more weight and pulls on the connectors more, or if it is because the connector ends are longer, but compared to the WyWires the WyWires cable offers a better fit and more secure connection.

Musical performance: I first listened for about 30 minutes to get a feel for the Essential SE cable before swapping out for the WyWires. When I put in the WyWires, I noticed some magic on the first track. I started out with A Perfect Circle's "The Noose" because it's a pretty good recording (but not perfect) and I wanted to see how the sound would be on a more alternative song that wasn't really audiophile quality. I was really surprised. Never has it sounded this good. The slight digital edge that I usually hear in the song was hugely reduced, vocals were more focused and more fleshed out, cymbals were scary good and there was overall more transparency without losing any weight in the instruments. Bass and mid-bass were not as bloomy and articulated the different tones very well (wasn't a huge change in this department, but I took notice on the first listen).

I initially didn't notice much of a change in the soundstage, but once I got to Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" I found it not as flat-sounding and very dynamic. It wasn't super flat before, but compared to newer recordings it lacked some "3D pop". Very nice.

To single-out some consistent changes across various material: Female vocals were drop dead beautiful. The WyWires cable seemed to bring more texture and human-sounding flesh to vocals and organic elements like guitar picks and vocalists breathing etc. I'd almost say there was a fuzzy thickness that was removed across the board when adding in the WyWires, but it didn't remove any weight or mid-range sexiness, it just seemed to make everything more transparent without digital edge or treble tinge. I guess it is just the WyWires effect! Love it.

I believe the cable is $349 and offers fantastic value. The dB Audio Essential SE is somewhere between $300 and $450. I'd be interested in seeing how the WyWires compares to something like the Locus Design Axis or similar.

This is the first day I got the cable and only listened to it for maybe 3 hours, but I love it and I am already set on owning it. No question it's a beautiful product and of great value. I'll let it burn-in for a few days and then come back with some updates. And then I'll swap back to the Essential SE to make sure I am not crazy in love.

- Clayton

Quiet Earth

Re: WyWires USB Cable
« Reply #1 on: 25 Mar 2011, 04:27 am »
I don't know . . . .  I'm leary of expensive cables hiding in tech flex. I just can't seem to cure my unfounded suspicions. I think I need help.  :o

Edit : Just razzin' ya highfilter. Very nice review!  :D

highfilter

« Reply #2 on: 25 Mar 2011, 05:18 am »
I don't know . . . .  I'm leary of expensive cables hiding in tech flex. I just can't seem to cure my unfounded suspicions. I think I need help.  :o

Edit : Just razzin' ya highfilter. Very nice review!  :D

Haha, no worries - the demo cures all suspicions.  :thumb:

wywires

« Reply #3 on: 25 Mar 2011, 03:33 pm »
Thanks very much Clayton for the detailed write up...Very well done.

Just so everybody is aware, the cable in the above photos is a prototype and the production version will be a little different with a spiffier build. Also, I'll be offering introductory pricing at a substantially lower price point than my original announcement in "Industry Ads". Just as soon as I work out the numbers.

Alex

Gopher

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2011, 11:42 pm »
Awesome to read your feedback.  I too am experimenting with a Wywire USB cable and I can say they are pretty darn credible.  I've had the opportunity to hear a couple of 'better than stock' usbs in the past but never really noted a difference.  Right now I have nothing special on hand to compare it to, but I can say with confidence its in another league than stock between my macbook pro and Bolder modified minimax dac.

It didn't turn my laptop into a wonder transport and I still prefer my heavily modified Squeezebox Touch, but from what I'm experiencing so far it is definitely legit.  I'm getting real tone and texture from a friggin' laptop.  I'm wanting a bit in terms of PRaT and resolution, but I can't blame the cable for it.  I'm going to look into the proper software optimizations for a macbook and give it another shot soon!

highfilter

« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2011, 01:18 am »
That's great, Gopher. The type of transport is very important for sound. In the beginning I just tried to use my standard PC and it pretty much sounded like crap compared to my dedicated Mac Mini and associated tweaks and goodies attached to it. I have never heard digital sound this great in my system. Pretty amazing that it's all coming from a computer, and at my little finger tips.  :thumb:

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:02 am »
I finally tried using my laptop as a direct source today: Laptop> DAC > Amp and even at 6 am listening to extremely low volume I could hear the potential of using the USB port on my DAC with laptop using Media Monkey so I sent Alex an email and he's making me up a USB cable and if todays listening experience is any indication my DUET may be dethroned until whenever..its just much clearer, cleaner and thats using a stock cable, I know what Alex's stuff brings to the table so I'm double pumped and watching out for the mailman. This whole cable thing I poh pohhed in the beginning has turned out to beone of the most important pieces of my system. :dance:

Gopher

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2011, 02:26 am »
I suspect you'll like it a lot, Ed.  My configuration favors my heavily modified Squeezebox Touch on several levels from the onset so its tough for me fall in love with anything else, but I can plainly hear the Wywires signature and beauty there.  In fact, to the extent that its giving me naughty thoughts of building a little bedroom system.  My music server PC is in there anyway and the wife and I wouldn't have to fight quite as hard for the den.  lol.

I know Alex was hoping for some more comparative feedback than I have been able to offer as USB isn't a frequented input for me, so if anyone with other high end USB cables to compare against cares to take mine for a spin for a week or so I'm willing to loan my prototype as long as you provide some comparitive thoughts. 

mamba315

« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:35 pm »
I'll be offering introductory pricing at a substantially lower price point than my original announcement in "Industry Ads". Just as soon as I work out the numbers.

Looking forward to this.  Will it be announced in this thread or elsewhere?

wywires

« Reply #9 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:40 pm »
I'm making a couple of improvements to the design of the USB cable as well as the S/PDIF based on comments and guidance from an AC member. Nothing spectacular, just tightening up the design a bit to add a little better PRAT.

I'll be announcing introductory pricing and a tour in about a week on "Industry Ads".

Thanks for asking.

Alex

santacore

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2011, 12:55 am »
Very nice review Clayton, my experience mirrors yours.

I'm another one of the lucky people that has been enjoying Alex's new USB cable for the last week or so. I've been lagging on doing a review because it's hard to put into words when something just sounds right. It's much easier to find shortcomings against other cables.

System:
Mac Book Pro> Sonicweld Diverter> Violectric V800 DAC> Music Reference (pre/headphone prototype)> Jim Nicholls custom 6AQ5 amp> Shengya V-218 horn speakers/ Audeze LCD-2 planar magnetic headphones.

Construction:
Clean and conservative. Lightweight, fairly thin, and easy to maneuver. The ends are nothing fancy but seem to feel secure when attached.

Sound:
Balanced sound across the spectrum, with great dynamics, and excellent detail and definition. Bass is tight and detailed, mid's are beautiful, and the high end is sweet and open. Honestly, I can't find any significant shortcomings when using this cable. It just plays music and makes me happy, that's really the highest compliment I can give. When I stop analyzing my system and just get sucked into playback, I know I've hit a winner.

Alex my friend, you definitely have a winner. I think this cable is priced extremely well and should be considered by anyone needing a USB cable. If a fast, neutral, and musical cable is what your system needs, then WyWires has the medicine.

To quote Charlie Sheen: "Winning!!"   (sorry, couldn't resist)

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #11 on: 30 Mar 2011, 01:17 am »
And what were you comparing the WyWires USB cable against or was this your 1st USB cable Santacore? Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

santacore

« Reply #12 on: 30 Mar 2011, 02:26 am »
Robin,

I've been through a handful of cables in the last few years. From generic, to Belkin Gold, to Locus Design Polestar, to Locus Design Axis.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 30 Mar 2011, 02:33 am »
Robin,

I've been through a handful of cables in the last few years. From generic, to Belkin Gold, to Locus Design Polestar, to Locus Design Axis.

So this was an actual comparison between the WyWire and the Locus Design Axis?

werd

« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2011, 02:41 am »
I don't see what the difference is here Satfrat? Its a digital cable, it can screw up like any coax rca or bnc or whatever. Its a digital cable, its not a special cable that has special ninja cable capabilities. Either it works or it doesn't or it sounds like crap. You don't need to be listening to a bunch of usb cables to know if a usb cable is  musical. Rca or xlr into your dac can be as good a reference.

highfilter

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2011, 03:29 am »
So it's been a few days and I really love the sound. Maybe it is because I have WyWires across the entire system, but everything works together so well and I've never enjoyed my digital library this much. Great stuff!

Another big thanks for Alex for sending me the cable and taking my musical enjoyment up a few big levels.  :thumb:

I'm pretty impressed at how you get all this detail, while getting rid of a lot of the digital edge and overall digital sound. It's like crystal clear and revealing, yet very natural and allows the music do its thing. Yummy. I'm on board if Alex says he is trying to improve the cable further.  :o

santacore

« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2011, 03:37 am »
Robin,

I prefer to leave cables in my system for a few weeks to get a feel for there sound and effect on my system. I never found quick A/B comparisons to offer a true representation of what a cable can do to a system. At this early stage I will say that both cables are great in their own way. Feel free to PM me in a few weeks for more impressions.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2011, 03:43 am »
Robin,

I prefer to leave cables in my system for a few weeks to get a feel for there sound and effect on my system. I never found quick A/B comparisons to offer a true representation of what a cable can do to a system. At this early stage I will say that both cables are great in their own way. Feel free to PM me in a few weeks for more impressions.

Thank you.   :thumb:

wywires

« Reply #18 on: 6 Apr 2011, 02:19 am »
Hey Ed,

I want to clarify a couple of points. The S/PDIF is not coaxial, it's twisted pair. Second, the USB and the S/PDIF are the same cable except for the 5V power in the USB. The difference is in your equipment, not the cable. In my system, I have had similar experiences using the same DAC. The PC running iTunes seems to have more detail and dynamics via the USB than the Esoteric transport with S/PDIF. This is due to the buffering of the files on the PC vs real time streaming from the Esoteric, therby reducing jitter. At any rate, both cables enable a more dynamic and transparent experience than using the Esoteric as a one box player.

Anyway, I'm glad you are enjoying the wires!

Alex

wywires

« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2011, 03:09 am »
Thanks Alex,
 I obviously did not know that and thanks for clarifying that point. Ain't this FUN!!!! :thumb: :thumb:

I'm having fun!