Dynaco solid state recommendations?

Wayner

Re: Dynaco solid state recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Sep 2009, 08:42 pm »
I'll vouch for the Insight 170! It's an awesome "little" amp with an attitude! Very, very musical. If you have Dynaco speakers, it's a marriage made in heaven.

Wayner  aa

charmerci

« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2009, 09:06 pm »

We would prefer to put the SL (straight line) circuits in the Pat-4 and not use the tone controls because the tone control pots are pretty flaky.

That true!

Brett Buck

« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2009, 10:25 pm »

We would prefer to put the SL (straight line) circuits in the Pat-4 and not use the tone controls because the tone control pots are pretty flaky.

That true!

Certainly - anyone with a PAT-4, the very first thing to do is defeat the tone controls, they are hopeless to set without extensive bench testing.

Brett

moboman

« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2009, 04:17 am »
If you are still looking. For $350 I was able to put this together.

van alstine Omega III sl
flea market dyna st-120
Turtle beach Audiotron
and a pair of Sansui SP-2000 speakers
I also have a decent CD player plugged in but it was something I had extra and not something I purchased in 2009, so I will not include that in the price.

I've listened to this probably about 6 hours so far and I'm blown away with the sound for the price.
These components of course arent the greatest, but for the price....
The speakers arent really good enough to hear the deficiencies in the equipment though. Even if they were 1100 new in the '70's. Someone would have had to been foolish to buy these.

The music is able just to flow and it sounds great.

Edit: I just saw this on ebay, this is looks like a decent rebuilt 120. And at 250 bucks shipped seems like a pretty good deal on a good amp.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dynaco-120-stereo-amplifier-Completly-rebuilt_W0QQitemZ160363383226QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Electronics_R2?hash=item25566709ba&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

rlee8394

« Reply #24 on: 27 Sep 2009, 07:54 pm »
Frank,

I have two PAT-4 preamps that I've been sitting on. One has the brown cover and switches, the other has the black cover and switches. I 'd be happy to donate them both to you for your "AC Pass Around" Insight project. They're yours if you want them. Shipping is on me.

Ron

avahifi

« Reply #25 on: 27 Sep 2009, 08:37 pm »
Thanks Ron, I certainly will take you up on this and build a "pass around" unit from one of these units.

The deciding factor between them would be mechanical condition.  I would like one with a working power switch and internal neon lamp, decent jacks, and working switches and selector switch if you can check for this. I will even build it with tone controls if the existing tone control pots are working well.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

rlee8394

« Reply #26 on: 27 Sep 2009, 09:02 pm »
OK Frank,

I'll check 'em both out and make any needed changes. I'll let you know when I'm ready to ship.

Ron