BDA-1 Resolution

HifiDan

BDA-1 Resolution
« on: 23 May 2023, 08:33 pm »
Hi James, I have the BDA-1 dac, which i love, I read somewhere that if i use the -3 db feature, i make sure not to overload the digital filter which could cause
distortion. My question is will i loose resolution when selecting the -3 db feature, since i am in the digital domain.
Thanks in advance. :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BDA-1 Resolution
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2023, 12:05 am »
Yes with any digital control you lo(o)se BIT's

james

HifiDan

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2023, 01:15 am »
Is there a chance to overload the digital filter at full volume?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2023, 11:39 am »
Sorry - digital filter?

james

HifiDan

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2023, 01:07 pm »
I have a hard time explaining. Watch this video and see if it applies to the BDA-1 -3 db feature.
Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXYCrvUPJY4

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2023, 04:28 pm »
The commonly used term is intersample overs. HiFiDan is asking if the BDA-1's DAC is subject to this or not.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2023, 06:34 pm »
From engineering.

Hi James

it's not possible to overload the digital filter.

james

HifiDan

« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2023, 07:58 pm »
Thank you.
Have a good day

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2023, 03:04 pm »
Hi James, I have the BDA-1 dac, which i love, I read somewhere that if i use the -3 db feature, i make sure not to overload the digital filter which could cause
distortion. My question is will i loose resolution when selecting the -3 db feature, since i am in the digital domain.
Thanks in advance. :D

Hi!

The answer is both yes and no. The variable output is an intrinsic feature of the CS4398 DAC chip used in the BDA-1. This feature was enabled because the chip has a somewhat higher voltage output level, 2.4 V if I remember correctly, so decreasing the output somewhat can bring it closer to a more typical 2.0 V.

Theoretically, any volume manipulation done through bit truncation leads to loss of resolution. That being said, because we are talking only but a few dB, it is seriously unlikely it will cause any loss, either in terms of measurements or subjective. Here’s why:

If one bit equals approximately 6 dB, decreasing the output level by 6 dB would reduce the resolution from the native 24 bit to 23 bit. If you think that’s serious, keep in mind that a vast majority of DACs have a measured dynamic range of less than 120 dB. In other words, 20 bits. So, with 23 bits of available resolution, there is simply no way it can affect the performance in any way. This is, of course, presuming you are using a high-res 24 bit file. If you are using CD-format files of 16 bits, then you can truncate all the bits you want!

Cheers,
Antun

HifiDan

« Reply #9 on: 28 May 2023, 04:23 pm »
Thanks Antun for the clarification
Dan

R. Daneel

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2023, 04:43 pm »
Thanks Antun for the clarification
Dan

Cheers, Dan!

Don’t forget, the BDA-1 is a superb DAC. If you don’t need DSD, there is really very little benefit, if any, to upgrade to the more recent BDA-3 DAC. The analogue output circuit is essentially the same and it is what makes for the majority of ‘sound’ we hear. As long as you’re using an external USB-S/PDIF interface or a dedicated digital player with an S/PDIF output, your digital music is in good hands.

Cheers,
Antun

HifiDan

« Reply #11 on: 29 May 2023, 11:51 am »
I know, i bought a Topping DX3 Pro+ and the sound was really bare.
I kept it for the headphone amp
Cheers
Dan

R. Daneel

« Reply #12 on: 29 May 2023, 02:48 pm »
I know, i bought a Topping DX3 Pro+ and the sound was really bare.
I kept it for the headphone amp
Cheers
Dan

Hi Dan!

That’s an interesting comment because those Topping devices measure well, don’t they? Better than most, I’d say. Still, subjective listening can turn up some rather interesting results.

Cheers,
Antun

HifiDan

« Reply #13 on: 29 May 2023, 04:13 pm »
Hi Antun, the DX3-Pro+ does not have any distortion.
They lack mainly in midrange warmth and the sound stage is also not the best.
The Bryston DAC just outdoes the Topping even thou it is almost 15 yo.
It is also quite a lot more expansive I paid 2,000CDN$ back in the day.
Cheers
Dan

R. Daneel

« Reply #14 on: 29 May 2023, 08:37 pm »
Hi Antun, the DX3-Pro+ does not have any distortion.
They lack mainly in midrange warmth and the sound stage is also not the best.
The Bryston DAC just outdoes the Topping even thou it is almost 15 yo.
It is also quite a lot more expansive I paid 2,000CDN$ back in the day.
Cheers
Dan

Hey Dan, it’s what I say to my colleagues – fellas, we can design a bridge that people will drive over every day and won’t even notice or we can design a bridge everyone in the car will want to be looking at through the windows. Both bridges will be safe and equally functional but only one is worth designing. It is the same in any field of engineering, including audio. One can design a perfect or almost perfect measuring device but ultimately, if your subjective feeling is one of blandness and the device doesn’t inspire you, well, it’s like the first bridge and you can’t wait to get across it.

Cheers,
Antun