Early Adopter dspNexus 2x8 has arrived!

HAL

Early Adopter dspNexus 2x8 has arrived!
« on: 28 Apr 2023, 11:15 am »
Talked to Danville Signal yesterday and the Early Adopter units are being built now.  I have one coming with the latest firmware installed for use with the Magnetar II speakers for LSAF 2023 June 2-4 in Dallas, TX. 

The speaker baffles are going to paint finishing today and the new A370XLR3 boxes from captainhemo are getting the Hot Rod semigloss black paint is in work.

The measurement microphone input is operational with the latest firmware and being used for testing.  There are two modes, one is the more extensive funtions for design and build of speakers called Measurement, the other is Room EQ, where the setting that are not needed for room measurements are preset to parameters for use.  This reduces setup time to use it with Room EQ Wizard and other measurement software that can use a USB2Audio ADC and DAC for acoustic measurements.

Will be here next week for a special project in work. :)
« Last Edit: 1 May 2023, 05:42 pm by HAL »

HAL

Re: Early Adopter dspNexus 2x8 on the way!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2023, 02:52 am »
Just got an update that the EA dspNexus 2x8 will be here on Monday to begin use with the Magnetar II speakers for LSAF 2023.

An updated DSP XO is ready to try and measure with the front mic input and my Behringer ECM8000 with calibration data.  If that looks good will get out the Earthworks M30 mic and calibration data.  That worked better with my old DEQX 2.6P processor than the ECM8000.  Both work with 48V phantom power on the mic input.

Will post pictures once it arrives.

HAL

Re: Early Adopter dspNexus 2x8 has arrived!
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2023, 05:41 pm »
The first Early Adopter unit dspNexus 2x8 has arrived from Danville Signal.  The accessories are the remote, S/PDIF cable and AC power cord.  The battery is separate from the remote since it is always on.  Nice and fresh with the 30 second battery install. 

Will be getting the Magnetar II baffles back from rework for the new Radian planar driver as it is longer than the original mounting recesses.  Any future units have the CAD drawing updated for the new planar.

Looking forward to giving it a try as soon as parts are ready.

HAL

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2023, 11:27 pm »
Report back from a customer I just help setup a dspNexus 2x8 with his Eminent Tech LFT-8b speakers, "This thing is freakin awesome!".  Good enough for me!  🙂

Also, he is not using his ROON Nucleus, just streaming Qobuz with his laptop.  🙂

HAL

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jul 2023, 01:26 pm »
Getting ready to setup an EA dspNexus 2x8 with the Magnepan MG10/QR speakers that are now modified for biamp wiring.  The internal crossover has been disconnected and new 5-way binding posts have been installed directly to the woofer panel and with the original fuse to the quasi-ribbon tweeter.

The Audio Weaver DSP crossover design is prototyped for speaker measurements.   Will use the phantom powered XLR mic connection on the front with a Behringer ECM8000 with calibration data to make the frequency and phase response measurements.

Jaytor

« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2023, 11:13 pm »
I'm thinking of trying one of these with my GR Line Forces. Any further comments and listening impressions? Are you doing volume adjustments in the digital domain?

HAL

« Reply #6 on: 11 Aug 2023, 02:38 am »
The listening impressions from folks other than me are in this thread on page 3, with folks and reviewers that attended LSAF2023. The unit they listened to had the prototype of an AKM AK4499 DAC that is a possible purchasable upgrade to the system.  The stock DAC's are AKM AK4493's.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=185895.40

The volume control is done in the 32bit DAC, the AKM AK4493 or the AK4499.  This is not done in the DSP.

Jaytor

« Reply #7 on: 20 Aug 2023, 08:09 pm »
Well, I decided to go ahead and order one. I spent about 40 minutes on the phone with Al Clark to get more info.

He does not have the AK4499 available, but is working on a new DAC module using the new two-chip 4499EX which the dspNexus can be retrofitted with.

I have a UMIK-1 USB microphone that I was going to use with Room EQ Wizard, but it sounds from reading some of your threads that using a calibration mic plugged directly into the dspNexus might be preferred?

You mention both the Behringer ECM8000 and the Earthworks M30. There is a huge difference in price between these two. Have you found calibrations with the M30 to be that much better?

HAL

« Reply #8 on: 21 Aug 2023, 12:44 am »
The Earthworks M30 is a significantly flatter response measurement mic than the Beheringer ECM8000.  I prefer the M30 over the ECM8000 for measurements since there is less mic correction needed.

As an example the Beheringer ECM8000 is the stock mic used with the DEQX system software and the Earthworks M30 was the upgrade mic for the system.

The UMIK-1 USB mic is not compatible with the dspNexus 2x8 as it is designed to work with phantom powered mic.  The dspNexus 2x8 serves as mic power, mic preamp and ADC to USB with higher resolution.  You can use the UMIK-1 with a PC for REW measurements if you already have one.   

Jaytor

« Reply #9 on: 21 Aug 2023, 12:55 am »
Yeah, I had been planning to use the Umik-1 with REW on a PC, but I don't think it's possible to do time delay measurements that way.

If you use a mic plugged into the dspNexus, do you still use REW running on a PC for room measurements by connecting via USB to the dspNexus? Or os there different software used with the dspNexus for these kind of measurements?

HAL

« Reply #10 on: 21 Aug 2023, 02:18 am »
Yeah, I had been planning to use the Umik-1 with REW on a PC, but I don't think it's possible to do time delay measurements that way.

If you use a mic plugged into the dspNexus, do you still use REW running on a PC for room measurements by connecting via USB to the dspNexus? Or os there different software used with the dspNexus for these kind of measurements?
Jaytor,
REW is the program customers have been using with dspNexus 2x8 for room measurements.   

There are other software packages that work with a measurement mic via ADC and USB for room measurements.  As an example, Math Audio Room EQ is a plug-in for Foobar2000 or VST compatible DAW software.  It has built in room measurement software that works with dspNexus 2x8 as the mic measurement input. 

It is up to the customer to choose the room measurement software.

NoahH

« Reply #11 on: 21 Aug 2023, 02:29 am »
I am so anxious to hear how this goes for you, Jaytor. What are you going to use to amplify all the different channels?

Jaytor

« Reply #12 on: 21 Aug 2023, 03:35 am »
Jaytor,
REW is the program customers have been using with dspNexus 2x8 for room measurements.   

Thanks for your help Richard.

I am so anxious to hear how this goes for you, Jaytor. What are you going to use to amplify all the different channels?

I'm planning to use the Rythmik HX800 plate amps for the woofers. To start out, I'm going to use my 300b parallel SET Monoblocks for the NEO10s and my Neurochrome Modulus-286 based Monoblocks for the NEO3s.

If I'm happy with the results, I'll build something else. I haven't quite decided what yet. Perhaps another separate SET amp, I don't need anywhere near the power that I have with the modulus-286, and I don't really want two more boxes sitting next to my speakers. I may build a small solid state amp that can sit where the current passive crossover is.

HAL

« Reply #13 on: 29 Aug 2023, 12:13 pm »
For a customer, setup Parametric EQ's on each channel of his dspNexus 2x8 crossover so he can control the 4 different drivers separately.   It is setup as a 3-way crossover and subwoofer per channel.  He has 14 channels of PEQ for both right and left channels running and can modify them as needed in Audio Weaver until he is happy with the results.

He is using REW with his ACO measurement mic to measure the speakers at his position and do both EQ and time delays. 

I have been in the room before the latest measurement process and it already sounded excellent with his room treatments.  He has said it has gotten even better. 
The dspNexus 2x8 system is all about being able to customize the speaker and room for best sound quality. 

Room acoustic treatments are still a big advance in sound quality.  I do that as step one before fine tuning with the DSP processing.  Much easier and always sounds better.

After rebuilding my listening room and no treatments installed, I use it as an echo chamber and it does that well.  Would not be good for a listening environment until the new room acoustic treatments are installed.

HAL

« Reply #14 on: 4 Sep 2023, 07:03 pm »
Another EA dspNexus 2x8 will be on the way soon to run a pair of GR-Research NX-Tremes speakers and a pair of OB 3x12 servo sub.

First step will be crossover measurements to replace the passive crossover with the DSP version to tri-amp the speakers and run the existing servo amps.  :)

Kazoom

« Reply #15 on: 5 Sep 2023, 03:52 am »
Another EA dspNexus 2x8 will be on the way soon to run a pair of GR-Research NX-Tremes speakers and a pair of OB 3x12 servo sub.

First step will be crossover measurements to replace the passive crossover with the DSP version to tri-amp the speakers and run the existing servo amps.  :)

I will start a "Install" thread for those wishing to follow the journey.  Hoping it will be a useful guide for anyone else wanting to go active.  :thumb:

HAL

« Reply #16 on: 5 Sep 2023, 08:10 pm »
I will start a "Install" thread for those wishing to follow the journey.  Hoping it will be a useful guide for anyone else wanting to go active.  :thumb:

The EA dspNexus 2x8 unit was shipped to Kazoom today. 

Let the story begin! :)

Kazoom

« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2023, 10:35 pm »
New thread created.  Its a solid read.   :lol:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=186956.new#new

Jaytor

« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2023, 12:37 am »
I got my dspNexus last week, but I'm having trouble getting Audio Weaver working. I get an error when I try to "Generate Files" using one of the demo files provided by Danville. For some reason, it can't create a file, but the error message doesn't specify which file or location. I suspect it might be a write-permissions issue. I'm waiting to hear back from Al on how to proceed.

HAL

« Reply #19 on: 8 Sep 2023, 12:48 am »
Jaytor,
Sometimes that is caused by long file names or names with spaces.  It seems to only work with smaller size file names, like 11.3 format. 

I am writing a document now on how to flash the EA dspNexus 2x8.  My computer is in the middle of updates, but when it is done, I will continue the process. I have two customers that are ready, so working on it.

Danville has an older version of the document for dspMusik, but enough things have changed to really need an update.