Axpona plans...

jsalk

Axpona plans...
« on: 4 Apr 2023, 08:22 pm »
We will not be attending AXPONA this year.  Why you ask?  Well, I thought I'd tell you why...

Well, my tennis partner and I played in the USTA Midwest Sectionals a few months back and qualified for the Nationals.  It just so happens the Nationals are on the same weekend as AXPONA.  So we will be in Surprise, AZ that weekend playing in the 55+ bracket.

I'm going to miss seeing all of you at AXPONA.  But at my age, I may never have another opportunity to play in the Nationals.  So it is something I just have to do.

See you next year's AXPONA!

- Jim

rowdyrobot

Re: Axpona plans...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Apr 2023, 08:41 pm »
Congrats Jim! That is great. Tennis is a fun sport. Best of luck in the tournament!

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2023, 08:54 pm »
Congrats and Good Luck.

barnestn

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2023, 11:59 am »
Is Jim Salk a humble genious, a Renaissance man, or both?  I think both. Congratulations and best of luck in the tournament, Jim.

Woodsea

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2023, 02:42 pm »
Best of luck! Doubles is hard...an intuitive partner is indispensable...Bring home the gold!

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2023, 02:58 pm »
Congratulations!  Enjoy the tournament!  :D

ratso

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2023, 12:21 am »
jeez, and i struggle to bend over to tie my shoes  :oops:

sandbagger

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2023, 01:23 am »
Congrats and enjoy
I miss Axpona every now and then as it seems to be hitting the same weekend as French Quarter Music Festival, and while I love listening to speakers and gear, Live/Free music is always better

AllanS

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2023, 05:53 am »
Isn’t life great when you have to make those kinds of choices?  Best of luck Jim! 
I’m just learning to play - loving the game and kicking myself for not starting 50 years ago.

jd3

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2023, 01:39 pm »
Jim-
Congrats and good luck luck in the Nationals!

ddps

• Salk SS 9.5 / McIntosh MA8900 / Auralic Altair
« Reply #10 on: 18 Apr 2023, 12:27 pm »
Well, Jim, how did Nationals go? Hope they went great.... :thumb:

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2023, 06:31 pm »
Well, Jim, how did Nationals go? Hope they went great.... :thumb:

Never having played in the National Championships before, I didn't know exactly what to expect.  The only thing I knew was that the top two teams from every section of the country qualified.  So I expected the competition would be good.

In our first match, we were quickly defeated by the team that eventually won the tournament.  They were just a better team.  We ended up in the consolation round and took that to the finals where we met another great team.  So we placed sixth out of 21 teams that were registered.  Guess I'll have to train a bit more for next year!

Obviously it would have been nice to finish higher.  But I felt pretty good about the results since I was the single oldest player in the tourney and there were quite a few teams that didn't win any matches.

- Jim

rowdyrobot

« Reply #12 on: 20 Apr 2023, 12:11 am »
Extremely respectable to finish in 6th place in a national tournament! Equally important, hopefully it was a lot of fun.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #13 on: 20 Apr 2023, 02:38 am »
Congratulations on making it there to compete and playing well. You really can't ask for more than that, can you?

AllanS

« Reply #14 on: 20 Apr 2023, 10:41 am »
Congrats to you and your partner Jim!  Sounds like a blast with highs and lows and everything in between.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #15 on: 21 Apr 2023, 01:25 pm »
Congratulations!  Sounds like you made a great showing.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #16 on: 21 Apr 2023, 01:45 pm »
Congratulations Jim, to you & your partner. A fine showing, and give 'em heck next year.  8)

TerryWI

« Reply #17 on: 21 Apr 2023, 06:05 pm »
I attended Axpona for the first time this year and visited the SB Acoustics & Madisound Rooms.  SB had a number of their kit speakers featuring various Satori tweeters that sounded great.  Madisound had a raw Purifi 6.5 woofer on display.  It was interesting to see the driver "in the flesh."  I asked one guy if he knew of any rooms that had speakers using Purifi woofers.  He said he only knew of Jim Salk, but of course wasn't able to attend this year.  Another fella chimed in he knew of no other vendors displaying that used Purifi.

I didn't come across a room that did over the weekend, but we didn't get to each room either.

ddps

• Salk SS 9.5 / McIntosh MA8900 / Auralic Altair
« Reply #18 on: 24 Apr 2023, 01:13 am »
Congratulations on a good show of a different sort!