New owner of Daedalus Audio Ulysses speakers

Ulisse60

New owner of Daedalus Audio Ulysses speakers
« on: 4 Mar 2023, 10:26 am »
Hello everyone, my name is Dario, i live in Milan, Italy, I have owned for about 18 months a pair of Uliysses speakers, bought used by the only audiophile in Italy who had ordered them to Lou some years ago. They play wonderfully, although I'm still working around them, and the small dedicated music venue, which should be larger, but for now I'm content with the musical results . . .
I'm working a lot on the room and on the audio system to make the Ulysses better, which have enormous sonic potential. I come from speakers of the English school, ProAc, Harbeth, Graham, which have given me great satisfaction and have allowed me to grow a lot as an audiophile and to make me understand what I am looking for in musical reproduction, but today I have a great opportunity with full range speakers and with margins for improvement in many aspects of music triproduction, I hope that many of you can give me good advice and suggestions on how to exploit them in my system and environment.
Thank you for your patience in reading me and I wish you all excellent listening to music, Dario
P.S. I apologize for my poor English, I hope it doesn't represent an important limitation to communication on this Forum

dpatters

Re: New owner of Daedalus Audio Ulysses speakers
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2023, 11:05 am »
Welcome!

Don P.

rbbert

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2023, 01:26 pm »
Welcome!  What comprises the rest of your system?

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2023, 01:36 pm »
Welcome!

rbbert

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2023, 02:08 pm »
In addition to owning a pair of Ulysses (upgraded to v.2) and Apollo 11's, I recently became an Italian citizen by descent.  Unfortunately I don't yet speak Italian, although one of my brothers has had a townhouse in Castelmuzio for about 20 years and does speak some Italian; it's not really necessary in that area with all the other English, Canadian and American expats living there part or full time.

Ulisse60

« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2023, 02:55 pm »
Thank you all for the welcome, I read various International Forums but write very little, in Italy I participated in some of them, but today I want to dedicate myself to my system according to the loudspeakers, which for me are definitive, so I will try to be active here.
I post a photo of my system, which includes an Esoteric CD and SACD player, an Emmlabs preamp and a Gamut power amp, I don't have vinyl and maybe I'll approach liquid, even if my CD collection, about 6500 pieces, occupies me a lot of listening , especially of Jazz, acoustic music, prog rock and other genres, I'm starting to approach classical on tiptoe
greetings, Dario

rbbert

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2023, 03:21 pm »
Fantastic system!  I'll bet it sounds great and I doubt you would gain anything (except perhaps a headache and a much emptier bank account) if you added LP playback.

Coincidentally I am listening to Enrico Pieranunzi Trio - Live in Japan (CD) as I write this.

Ulisse60

« Reply #7 on: 5 Mar 2023, 07:59 am »
Fantastic system!  I'll bet it sounds great and I doubt you would gain anything (except perhaps a headache and a much emptier bank account) if you added LP playback.

Coincidentally I am listening to Enrico Pieranunzi Trio - Live in Japan (CD) as I write this.

Thank you, I have been listening to music in this small room for 15 years, and for about 2 years I have redone the whole room, turned the speakers to the other side, moved the rack to the right side of the listening point and done an adequate treatment to accommodate more complete speakers of my previous ones. The latest addition was the Esoteric K01x player which replaced an Emmlabs XDS1 , with evident improvements in bass range and control, focus and general dynamics. Since I don't have a large stage due to the small size of the room, I have focused a lot on timbre, realism, focus and silence of the audio system, results that I consider valid.
Everything can be improved, now perhaps the element to evaluate for a change is the power amp, where 200 watts could be excessive for Ulysses speakers, and a more refined power amp could be the right conclusion of a sound path I've been working on for some time.
greetings, Darius

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2023, 08:22 am »
deleted.
« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2023, 11:54 pm by FullRangeMan »

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #9 on: 5 Mar 2023, 10:09 am »
Darius (Dario?),

Congratulations on becoming a Daedalus speakers owner!  :thumb: :popcorn:

I've got a pair of Lou's Apollo speakers, so I understand your joy. Welcome to Audio Circle!

Michael
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2023, 12:04 am by mresseguie »

js1955

« Reply #10 on: 5 Mar 2023, 01:08 pm »
Welcome to the board.

And no offense, but those speakers look waaaaay too big for that room.  IMO, the starting point to building a system is always to get a speaker that is appropriately sized for the room.

Randy

« Reply #11 on: 5 Mar 2023, 03:54 pm »
"Liquid" = streaming.    Don't bother.

Try this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsvX_vm-IXI

(You Tube isn't considered "streaming" by audiophiles.)

rbbert

« Reply #12 on: 5 Mar 2023, 08:16 pm »
Welcome to the board.

And no offense, but those speakers look waaaaay too big for that room.  IMO, the starting point to building a system is always to get a speaker that is appropriately sized for the room.

Tell that to Michael Fremer  :lol:

Ulisse60

« Reply #13 on: 6 Mar 2023, 11:01 pm »
Hi,
With this small room and these large funds I would look a good headphone and get rid of these hydrant speakers, as Sennheiser HD800 or HifiMan Arya or Edition X(used) with a good tube amp, unfortunately good rooms are rare and tend to be a permanent componet in the audiophile life and often survive us.  LOL
I understand your comment on room size and speaker size, but the environment has been treated, it has a decent RT60, and the Ulysses sound less intrusive than the previous Graham 5/9 and Harbeth SHL5 , especially in the bass control and in the reproduction of a coherent and correct sound.
I also have a Sennheiser 600 headphone system, but listening through headphones doesn't excite me as much as with the direct sound of the speakers, I miss the physicality and part of the gratification that the music in the room offers
greetings, Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #14 on: 6 Mar 2023, 11:07 pm »
Darius (Dario?),

Congratulations on bewcoming a Daedalus speakers owner!  :thumb: :popcorn:

I've got a pair of Lou's Apollo speakers, so I understand your joy. Welcome to Audio Circle!

Michael
Hi Michael, thank you for your words, I hope to learn and understand how to optimize my Ulysses, and maybe offer a contribution on some topics related to my experience in the audio world
Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2023, 11:12 pm »
Welcome to the board.

Hi, I understand your point of view, but I couldn't give up the Ulysses after listening to them, keep in mind that they are not distributed in Italy. . . In perspective they will be definitive speakers, and in 3 - 4 years, when I finish working, I will move to a house with a much larger dedicated room, and then I will also be able to install the 2 bows which are now in the garage  :D :D
greetings , Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2023, 11:14 pm »
"Liquid" = streaming.    Don't bother.

Try this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsvX_vm-IXI

(You Tube isn't considered "streaming" by audiophiles.)
Thanks a lot, I will listen to it with pleasure, greetings
Dario

GregC

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2023, 01:41 am »
Tell that to Michael Fremer  :lol:

Fremer's ego and attitude surpass any speaker room combo I am aware of.

Ulisse60

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2023, 08:37 am »
Fremer's ego and attitude surpass any speaker room combo I am aware of.
Hello
Apart from some reports on hi fi events around the States, I have never read any reviews of Daedalus speakers in Sterophile, and this says a lot about the choices and listening philosophies of audio products in magazines and magazines. . . Ditto for Emmlabs, another brand I've been listening to for a long time, I've had the CDSA SE and XDS1 sources, and I have the PRE, a real wire with gain in my experience, but zero reviews. . .
Dario

Ulisse60

« Reply #19 on: 7 Mar 2023, 08:41 am »
hello , an operational question, here in Italy it is now 9.40 AM , what is the time zone difference for the Daedalus Forum compared to my time ??
I ask to evaluate in which daily range it is better to write from here
thank you very much
Dario