Tube Integrateds Made In America

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Tube Integrateds Made In America
« Reply #40 on: 5 Mar 2023, 08:06 am »
So to get something really good you have to get out of this Made in USA patriotage and look elsewhere.

After 10 minutes of googleing I see clearly your best option are this Australian amp with the famous SAC-Thailand transformers and yet have Single Ended sound quality, hand made by Mr.McChanson 100% positive feedback since 2004 on Ebay, 4.6K items sold.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/115706009241?hash=item1af09d9699:g:BY0AAOSwV69j6tB0
The Sale is for ONE (1) * Super silkE Amp KT170 Single Ended, Class A, Stereo, Ultra Linear ( UL about 15W)/ SET ( Single End Triode) switchable, with 2-stage driving, integrated, point to point soldering, hand made by Me? in Australia, Silver or Black (without print) front panel available. Me? Me Who, Me Eric Mcchanson, I built Hi Fi amp from the 60s – rich experience both in audio valve circuit and amp making - read more on mcchanson Web Page.

This Amp uses a high capacity power transformer to cope with the big output and KT170 delivering higher power. BEST for those power hungry speakers.

* silkE Amp is a new series using customized big Super Silk output using quality Z11 core with transformer cover ( to replace the timE & pEar output assembly) made by SAC from Thailand.

The amp is compatible in using all other 6L6GC family tubes : 6L6GC, KT66, KT77, KT88... KT150, also EL34. The amp enables you to have tubes rolling fun.

For upgrade in hardware : CMC style tube sockets, RCA and Speaker posts, etc. add $200. Upgrade to use I  T (Interstage Transformer) to replace coupling cap so the amp is NO cap in the signal path - add $350. Interested? please enquire.
This is a made to order sale, expect to delivery from 2 to 5 weeks after settlement & when Silk output arrives.

Specifications : for those who are interested to read:

Circuit : The circuit used in this Super silkE amp designed by me is simple and effective, making full complementary use of the components. It is a ONE single input / driver stage, then follows the Power stage of KT150, 6L6GC family, also EL34 compatiable, Ultra Linear / Triode (SET) switchable with adjustable fixed bias. No negative feedback, 3 sets of input, two output - 4 & 8 ohm standard.

Components : Only necessary and essential components relevant to re-production of music are used. - reasonable good quality components : Silver coated teflon wires in the signal path, Alpha or ALPS volume control, Electro-caps are bypassed with small quality caps. high quality coupling capacitors, Ceramic tube sockets, Gold plated RCA inputs & speaker posts. Over sized power transformer.

Workmanship : professionally point to point solderng, using the leads of the components as far as possible to minimize using connecting wires. The layout, the routing, the grounding, the shielding are all adhered to professional standard. All metal work has be done with my best precision.

The output power and performance : KT150 here can deliver about 16W power ( in UL mode). Inputs are from DVD / CD / Tune. To play phono (turn-table), it requires a phone pre-amp to handle the RIAA equalization.

Hum Lever : Never been an issue.
    Tubes provided :
        2 x Tung-Sol KT170
        2 x 6EM7
        1 x 5Z4P rectifier

Support: Life-time ( my life ) support for all amps made by me. Should the amp has problem, let me know, send it back to base for a fixing. I

Postage : with Tracking : $70 Australia wide, Pick up OK from Burwood.
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2023, 09:17 am by FullRangeMan »

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #41 on: 11 Mar 2023, 04:00 pm »
Thanks for all the responses.  I ordered a Cary SLI-80HS.  it was delivered yesterday.

JP78

« Reply #42 on: 11 Mar 2023, 09:22 pm »
Just want to throw a couple unconventional tube amplifiers into the mix:

modWright Instruments - and an amazing company to work with and get help from
https://www.modwright.com/products/kwh-225i-integrated.php

Atma-Sphere - on my bucket list for when I'm no longer limited to headphones for two channel
http://atma-sphere.com/en/index.html

Good luck!

Denton J

« Reply #43 on: 19 May 2023, 12:53 am »
Thank you.  I just sent him a message

Same. Just sent a message.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #44 on: 19 May 2023, 02:00 am »
Congratulations on the new amplifier.

Just noticed this thread. I'm a little surprised Linear Tube Audio didn't get mentioned sooner.

https://www.lineartubeaudio.com/integrated-amplifiers
« Last Edit: 19 May 2023, 04:02 am by Rusty Jefferson »

Denton J

« Reply #45 on: 22 May 2023, 08:12 pm »
I'm new to tubes.  I'm considering a 6 watt SET. If my speakers are rated at 90 (probably generously) should I be concerned about performance and volume issues in a medium size room?

Doublej

« Reply #46 on: 22 May 2023, 08:30 pm »

Just noticed this thread. I'm a little surprised Linear Tube Audio didn't get mentioned sooner.

It did, https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=185140.msg1941844#msg1941844.

Is Black Ice Audio made in the US?

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

lazydays

« Reply #48 on: 24 May 2023, 03:29 am »
Forget this famous brands, they are expensive for what they offer and are freezed products, with minimal or none options to you choose, instead try order a Custom amp with Dennis Had, Cary Audio founder.

His amps run a plethora of power tubes with the big tone 6SN7 tube and have just a few things to modify be OK, to namely:
1) A larger chassis to facilitate maintenance and decrease self noise.
2) Hard wiring(no stranded wire) with conventional lead solder, no Euro Rohs compliant solder.
3) Bigger transformers, mainly power and OPTs.

do away with the DAC, and add a tape loop with five inputs total.
gary

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2023, 10:46 am »
What's the verdict on the Cary?

Photon46

« Reply #50 on: 24 May 2023, 12:12 pm »
Black Ice audio is mostly made in Shanghai, China in an assembly plant owned by Black Ice. They say "final assembly and quality control is done in the USA."

seikosha

« Reply #51 on: 24 May 2023, 01:12 pm »
I'm new to tubes.  I'm considering a 6 watt SET. If my speakers are rated at 90 (probably generously) should I be concerned about performance and volume issues in a medium size room?

It all depends on how loud you listen.  Some would find 6 watts more than enough, others would find it to be woefully inadequate.

pehare

« Reply #52 on: 24 May 2023, 07:18 pm »
Congrats on the Cary SLI-80HS great amp!  I owned and enjoyed a F-1 Edition for over 5 years and miss it especially in triode mode.  In those days they were all tube rectified and I'm curious to hear the difference.  Certainly is less tubes to worry about...  An amp I would definitely own again enjoy!

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #53 on: 25 May 2023, 03:35 am »

It did, https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=185140.msg1941844#msg1941844.....
Doh!  First response too!
That is likely not going to be a good combination but it will depend on the speaker compatibility. Sounds like you have maybe a 3 way speaker?  There are a lot of 3 way speakers that just won't perform well with less than 25-30 watts even though they're in the 90db sensitivity range. 6 watt SET amplifiers generally perform best with higher sensitivity and easy loads from single driver speakers and horn speakers.

Denton J

« Reply #54 on: 25 May 2023, 04:15 am »
Doh!  First response too! That is likely not going to be a good combination but it will depend on the speaker compatibility. Sounds like you have maybe a 3 way speaker?  There are a lot of 3 way speakers that just won't perform well with less than 25-30 watts even though they're in the 90db sensitivity range. 6 watt SET amplifiers generally perform best with higher sensitivity and easy loads from single driver speakers and horn speakers.

Thanks for the info.  I do have three way speakers but I also plan on putting together a reference (well, my level of reference) system around the amp I just ordered.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #55 on: 25 May 2023, 11:52 am »
Thanks for the info.  I do have three way speakers but I also plan on putting together a reference (well, my level of reference) system around the amp I just ordered.
Right on, good luck with that journey. There's plenty of threads here about amp/speaker combinations people like. With that type of amplifier, probably speakers with an 8 ohm impedance (without wild swings) and 95-ish db or higher sensitivity will work the best.

rockadanny

« Reply #56 on: 25 May 2023, 10:53 pm »
Congrats on your new amp! Just for further info, there are these two from Whammerdyne Heavy Industries:

http://whammerdyne.com/product/circuit-salad-hybrid/ - A tube hybrid

http://whammerdyne.com/product/damn-good-amp-dga-1/ - I have this amp (previous incarnation).

This is mine:

jcn3

« Reply #57 on: 1 Jun 2023, 07:18 pm »

We did listen to the Sara Bareilles - Brave Enough: Live at the Variety Playhouse cut "Come Round Soon" at live levels and nothing was missing, the systems owner said "Wow!" The sound was very close to my Salk HT2-TL speakers with Seas and RAAL drivers and 225w/channel. Get the album, the youtube video is a pale imitation of the clarity and dynamic range.

that album is absolutely fantastic -- one of my favorites.  wildly better than any of her studio work -- the recording is great and the performance is even better.  still can't say that i'm a huge sara bareilles fan, but this is an album i never get tired of listening to.

regarding tube integrated amps made in the usa, check out the quicksilver audio integrated: https://quicksilveraudio.com/products/integrated-amplifier/.  i have a pair of mid monos and a line stage -- build quality and sound quality are impressive (not necessarily what one would call beautiful though)