Tube Integrateds Made In America

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
Re: Tube Integrateds Made In America
« Reply #20 on: 28 Feb 2023, 11:45 pm »
Great string. Although aware of Rogers, I have never investigated their products or had a chance to hear them. They look solid. Thank you Doorman for the Transcendent recommendation, this company has escaped me yet I love to dwell in the kit world.

I recently discovered Ampsandsound at the Florida Expo. They focus mostly on mono's but do offer a integrated called the Kenzie. I think they're California based.

-Dieter

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #21 on: 1 Mar 2023, 02:10 am »
Thank you.  I just sent him a message
Nice, keep us posted on this.
The multi tube amp was named Inspire Fire Bottle.

Kw6

« Reply #22 on: 4 Mar 2023, 03:18 pm »
If you build it yourself then it is "Made in America."

ANK Audio Kits (Audio Note Kits)
https://ankaudiokits.com/

300B integrated; EL34 integrated; EL84 integrated
Kasaii electrolytics, nonmagnetic and tantalum resistors, copper film and Mundorf capacitors, white  teflon valve bases and Quad C core transformers
I would guess that all the integrated amps mentioned source their parts worldwide just like ANK.

A friend built the ANK EL34 stereo amp and it sounds great driving the Falcon LS3/5a, now I understand why audiophiles love the different variations of the LS3/5a's.

The source for the ANK EL34 was the ANK 5.1 Signature DAC. The sound was sublime.

How would you describe the ANK house sound. Recent review of AN Meishu Tonemeister said it doesn't do air. Would you agree?

Jarbs

« Reply #23 on: 4 Mar 2023, 04:22 pm »
I’ll second the VAC recommendation. We have a 170iq Signature with phono in a second system. It can drive speakers of normal load well with 85watts/ch. The SQ is good enough for very expensive systems. The phono section is pretty good too. The VAC 200iq Signature does well as a stand alone amp. The 170iq Sig. is almost as good. It’s a great all-a rounder. The Signature has upgraded signal capacitors compared to the standard version. I think this is a special order. Lively, dynamic, detailed, and rich with harmonics. It’s not inexpensive, but compared to its $150k big brother I suppose it is.

newzooreview

« Reply #24 on: 4 Mar 2023, 04:52 pm »
Just an aside, and I'm sure VAC makes excellent amps, but when I go to their website I hit a dead end. A lot of US audio manufacturer's sites are like this.

A simple website with lists of products in a few categories. Each product has a description, typically missing key technical specifications. There is a blog or news section that was last updated in 2017. And there is no pricing information. In the case of VAC, the "Purchase" button at the top leads to a sprawling list of US dealers. The nearest one to me is a day's drive away, and when I go to their website they list the brands that they carry. They do not list VAC. And when you click on a brand that the dealer carries you go back to the manufacturer's website.

Sure, I can e-mail or call someone begging for information, but why be so hostile to potential customers?

I know this is tangential, but it applies to more than one of the US manufacturers in the list here.

Don_S

« Reply #25 on: 4 Mar 2023, 05:41 pm »
Just an aside, and I'm sure VAC makes excellent amps, but when I go to their website I hit a dead end. A lot of US audio manufacturer's sites are like this.

A simple website with lists of products in a few categories. Each product has a description, typically missing key technical specifications. There is a blog or news section that was last updated in 2017. And there is no pricing information. In the case of VAC, the "Purchase" button at the top leads to a sprawling list of US dealers. The nearest one to me is a day's drive away, and when I go to their website they list the brands that they carry. They do not list VAC. And when you click on a brand that the dealer carries you go back to the manufacturer's website.

Sure, I can e-mail or call someone begging for information, but why be so hostile to potential customers?

I know this is tangential, but it applies to more than one of the US manufacturers in the list here.

Do not dismiss a brand because you do not like the website or there is no local dealer. I doubt most of the brands listed above have a dealer local to many of us. I know it is frustrating trying to make the right decision on an expensive product.

I do not purchase based on listed specifications. There is a lot of other information available on the internet like what products work well together. Some brands are consistently in rooms rated "best of show". The best products become widely known, others, not so much.

Strange that you should dis the VAC website while recommending a particularly poor website. I did like the pictures. But otherwise it was just like what you complained about. No details and no prices or how/where to buy locally. https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/hollander

newzooreview

« Reply #26 on: 4 Mar 2023, 06:09 pm »
I don't dismiss brands based on their websites, but a lot of people do so on a regular basis. Don't shoot the messenger.

I agree, the Oswald Mill Audio site is equally guilty. Obviously I posted their URL as data when adding them to the list. I did not say "check out the best audio site on the web." But you know that.

Regarding listed specifications, it is very helpful to know whether an amp can handle a 2 Ohm load, for example. The specifications don't tell me how it will sound, but they can flag issues that might make the equipment a mismatch to my system or at least prompt me to ask the right questions so I don't buy something that wastes my time and the manufacturers time in handling a return.

In the end, a badly designed manufacturer's site is often a good indication of how they might treat you as a customer. It often indicates that they are thinking of what is convenient to them without looking to meet their customers halfway and consider their interests. Some companies make up for it, so the site doesn't suggest dismissing them outright, but it definitely starts things off on a poor footing.

Jarbs

« Reply #27 on: 4 Mar 2023, 06:25 pm »
Agreed, many manufacturer’s websites, not just in the US, do not give pricing. Can’t even tell the difference between their top of line and lower end offerings. Which is better - Elite, Signature, or Statement, lol. Hyperbole says they are all the best :roll: But if they don’t do direct sales, they defer to their dealers. Contacting dealers directly is a crap shoot. Without revealing yourself, they won’t say much. Sometimes I just don’t want to do that.

Usually I look for reviews, where the basics are revealed. List price is only part of the battle. What are the street prices? This ranges between full price for high demand items to 40% off (rare). How many buyers want to reveal they got 40% off? This can cover their loses if they decide to sell.

The Vac-Amps website does have a pull-down for technical specifications. I bought my first new VAC amp 30 years ago from a dealer. A demo verses others sold me. The other 4 were not via this route. I’m not physically near any dealers now. But I did visit VAC in Sarasota once. Met Kevin and Brent. A solid group of people. This matters.

newzooreview

« Reply #28 on: 4 Mar 2023, 06:51 pm »
I've only ever heard good things about VAC. And I apologize, this thread is about listing out options for people. Making "an aside" is really not good practice in a thread.

I don't know if Van Alstine has been suggested earlier. They do not make a tube amp at present, but they have made a large number of tube and tube hybrid amps and are still going strong (and obviously are here on Audiocircle). Their recent tube amps (even if not in the current lineup) could be a consideration for folks.

Don_S

« Reply #29 on: 4 Mar 2023, 07:30 pm »
newzooreview,

Your comments on lack of information are valid. I did not mean to dismiss them, only point out it is common. And even when specs are listed they too often do not tell how the amplifiers will work with different impedance's. That is where I rely on online audio buddies to help. You made an excellent point. Power output at 8 and 4 ohms is inadequate information.

I once had my Quads fry an NAD as soon as they were connected and turned on. :duh: A different NAD made the ribbons on my Apogees dance wildly. I cut the input signal as fast as I could. :o I wish I had known in advance. This was before there was a lot of information available via online forums. My dealer for both products did not know in advance either.

newzooreview

« Reply #30 on: 4 Mar 2023, 07:42 pm »
Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #31 on: 4 Mar 2023, 07:54 pm »
+1 on Oswald Mill they do a nice GM70 amp obviously expensive.

Jarbs

« Reply #32 on: 4 Mar 2023, 08:51 pm »
The OP’s question can only be regarded as academic as there is no context. Until you know the speakers at a minimum it’s just throwing names around.

I build systems source first. I wouldn’t want revealing speakers and amp if the source isn’t up to he task. Do you need the Liz Taylor lens or not, lol. An old Dynaco ST 70 can make a budget cd player sound pretty. An LTA Ultralinear will make a cheap cd player sound like itself. The same ST70 will make an expensive dac sound like a cheap cd player, the LTA will let the expensive dac sound like itself.

Then, will the amp drive the speakers. Sometimes an afterthought, sometimes not. The VAC 170iq has a high output impedance through either the 4 ohm or 8 ohm tap. (The 200iq is much better with low impedance). The low end response will depend on speaker interaction. It works beautifully with either of our Daedalus speakers.  If you have speakers that are a difficult, low impedance load, look elsewhere. Most SET won’t work either.

Nobody said this hobby was easy (or cheap).

Don_S

« Reply #33 on: 4 Mar 2023, 09:03 pm »
No budget was mentioned either but I am OK with academic. Threads pose value to others besides the OP.  :popcorn:

WGH

« Reply #34 on: 4 Mar 2023, 09:21 pm »
How would you describe the ANK house sound. Recent review of AN Meishu Tonemeister said it doesn't do air. Would you agree?

I don't know if the ANK does air but it does make music. One system I heard has the ANK 5.1 Signature DAC, rebuilt Quicksilver KT88 mono-block amps and Nola KO speakers. The preamp is all tube too but don't remember the brand, maybe a rebuilt conrad-johnson. Nothing in this system is known for making air but it is a system that can be enjoyed for hours.

The second system with the ANK EL34 stereo amp and ANK 5.1 Signature DAC has the Falcon LS3/5a and also Magnapan 1.7i speakers. We spent most of the afternoon using the FirstWatt amp and unfortunately we ran out of time to give the EL34 amp a good workout. We were also streaming from Tidal, which is OK but forget about air which is why I dropped it.

We did listen to the Sara Bareilles - Brave Enough: Live at the Variety Playhouse cut "Come Round Soon" at live levels and nothing was missing, the systems owner said "Wow!" The sound was very close to my Salk HT2-TL speakers with Seas and RAAL drivers and 225w/channel. Get the album, the youtube video is a pale imitation of the clarity and dynamic range.

Both systems have REL subs so bass was excellent, don't know what ANK bass is like by itself but anyone who spends for an ANK should get a REL sub too.

TKonrad.NOLA

« Reply #35 on: 5 Mar 2023, 03:37 am »

so far, no response from him.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #36 on: 5 Mar 2023, 05:28 am »
I remembered another US manufacturer:

Erhard Audio

https://www.erhard-audio.com/Basie.html

Kw6

« Reply #37 on: 5 Mar 2023, 05:51 am »
Ok thanks WGH! Thanks for sharing that story! I will check out that recording. My recommendation is try to stream the new album by Jeremy Olivier and listen to the song Message in a Bottle!

Basically I want it to sound close to the real thing! I think ANK is great value for what you get. I have been in contact with them. But I got wind of New Audio Frontiers 2a3 integrated which has peaked my interest! Haha

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #38 on: 5 Mar 2023, 05:55 am »
I remembered another US manufacturer:

Erhard Audio

https://www.erhard-audio.com/Basie.html
This is a PushPull full PCB amp + SolidState rectification>
For this cheap construction it could be more affordable than $2700.
However the OPTs are nice Lundalh C core, much better than Decware mini EI put under side chassis.
Standard  $2,695.00
+ remote volume  +$125.00
+ Tape/Source switch  +$65.00
+ Stereo/Mono switch  +$45.00
https://www.erhard-audio.com/Basie-Specs.html
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2023, 07:19 am by FullRangeMan »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #39 on: 5 Mar 2023, 07:40 am »
To my limited knowledge there is no great SE amp Made in USA today, but STM this is an interesting one at $2000 EL34 conservative 7W power.
https://wrightaudioarts.com/royale_SE6_integrated_amplifier.htm

Unfortunately there is no underside image, what is definitely suspect but they say:
All point - to - point wiring.  Non-obsolescent construction.  No circuit boards for ease of installation of upgrades or repairs. so they may be using easy to solder stranded wiring, what at least are better than PCBs.

This is an integrated amp with odd features>
1) Excess of six inputs and three records outputs problably to subwoofer (?).
2) They say ''Left and Right Channel Level Presets (eliminates the 'half-set' Balance control)'' so these two knobs may be input gain control (?).
3 I liked this feature ''4 and 8 ohms speaker output standard.  16 ohms optional at slight extra charge.'' its good to see a builder offering 16 ohms speaker outputs again.
4) Unfortunately this is a light amp Net weight: 26 lbs;  Shipping weight: 32 lbs or 11.8kg net weight, but OPTs appear to be 10 or 15Wrms.
« Last Edit: 5 Mar 2023, 10:12 am by FullRangeMan »