silver in cables

unfairlane

Re: silver in cables
« Reply #20 on: 21 Feb 2023, 01:36 pm »
With RCA unbalanced, single-ended analog interconnects, it's all about the shield.  The central conductor sees a 10,000 Ohm load, so it could be extremely small (but it might break) and it can be gold, silver, OFC copper or copper, it won't matter. What does matter is the shield (outer conductor) it needs to be heavy and effective.
Note that phono cartridge to pre-amp input, some mic and musical instrument cables have other requirements.

This is cable theories at it`s worst. Any serious diy`er knows that a thicker print is worth the mony in sound quality. Same with interconnects, thinner conductors will sound like what they are; thin.

Another big mistake most cablemanufacturers do is to neglect the quality of the negative conductor. The negative signal-half is a reflection of the positive, just as important to keep clean an undistorted.

The only way to make a perfect interconnect is to use two complete coaxes, one for each phase. Not too thin conductors and single/solid conductors. That`s the only configuration that will deliver the exsignal in/out

Edit: f added in reflection

« Last Edit: 21 Feb 2023, 08:40 pm by unfairlane »

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #21 on: 21 Feb 2023, 02:04 pm »
Oh dear.

unfairlane

« Reply #22 on: 21 Feb 2023, 04:58 pm »
Oh dear.

You don`t know too much about how to make interconnects do you?

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #23 on: 21 Feb 2023, 06:14 pm »

Don't worry about it, ignore him. He posts the same stuff year after year after year and clearly has never done any actual experimentation beyond the misguided theories he learned decades ago in school.  :duh:

Delta77

« Reply #24 on: 21 Feb 2023, 07:34 pm »
Don't worry about it, ignore him. He posts the same stuff year after year after year and clearly has never done any actual experimentation beyond the misguided theories he learned decades ago in school.  :duh:

Yea, I want to agree with Dave.
I don't want to offend Speedskater, but I've also noticed that he responds negatively to most cable topics.
Solely in the Cables don't matter camp.

In the 5-6 years I've been upgrading my system, I have come to the conclusion that Cables do make a difference.

Started out with Groneberg, from Klause. Then moved to Military spec Silver coated Copper, from Patrick at Cullencable (RCA/Power/Speaker). Then moved to some Zenwave from Dave (RCA/Speaker). Then moved to some TWL from Pete (Power) . Now Jason from Hapa audio has got my attention (USB/RCA) so far. Also have some stuff from P.I. audio (UberBuss/Ethernet).
All of which made a "Difference" to the way the music is presented. Couln't tell what spacific change each one made, my music memory is not that great, nor is my perception to each individual change in Trimbre.

Now I don't know why Speedskater can't tell a difference in his system..
Is it his system, room , or has he not tryed other "Better" cables , because of his belief that cables don't matter.??

Delta

whydontumarryit

• Restricted
« Reply #25 on: 21 Feb 2023, 07:40 pm »
Whatever happens to be right I hope these arguments are never settled considering the entertainment value. On both sides.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #26 on: 21 Feb 2023, 07:51 pm »
  Of course they make a difference. IMHO it is pricing by some manufacturers that ignites the debate.

charles

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #27 on: 21 Feb 2023, 09:48 pm »
  Of course they make a difference. IMHO it is pricing by some manufacturers that ignites the debate.

charles

It does, but otoh many folks believe anything over $25/pair for IC cables is a rip off.

At the high end I've seen $40k/pair IC cables. You can now spend around $1M on a "full loom" of top-end cables sold via dealers. Yet it's usually the high-value direct sale companies that get the most hate.

IME, the "debate" is based on fantasies of what people believe to be true combined with emotional reactions to things that don't fit their fantasies.

In a low-scale luxury market the costs of selling via distributors and dealers make up around 80% of the retail price. Then the company also has to have a huge marketing budget on top of that, along with the traditional costs of manufacturing.

artur9

« Reply #28 on: 21 Feb 2023, 11:06 pm »
I'm cable agnostic.  I am willing to spend more on cables than 25 bucks because many factors play in the enjoyment of my hobby.

plnow1

« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2023, 06:58 pm »
I’ve heard of guys buying silver cables from military surplus to improve sound

2wo

« Reply #30 on: 27 May 2023, 03:17 am »
I do think cables can make a difference, I also don't think you need to spend a lot of money to find something that sounds good.

If you are willing to spend a ton of money chasing an elusive and ever changing goal, knock yourself out. 

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #31 on: 27 May 2023, 03:53 pm »
You're correct, I don't know much about cables.
In over a half century of broadcast, recording and industrial R&D engineering, I never learned much about cables.
Nor do the experts that I read know much about cables.
Experts like:
Keith Armstrong
Jim Brown
Stephen Lampen
Neil Muncy (RIP)
Henry Ott (RIP)
Ralph Morrison
Bill Whitlock