OPPO 105D PROBLEMS

dreamtheatervn

OPPO 105D PROBLEMS
« on: 14 Dec 2015, 02:58 am »
Hi All,
My music library is stored in 2x 2T HDDs portable (FAT 32) via USB rear ports of Oppo105D.

1. Sometimes when I turn on the 105D but see nothing in folder that I store music files (FLAC, WAV, DSF, etc). I meant I saw folder names only, not the files inside.

2. Another problem: when changing playing from FLAC to DSD (DFF) I hear nothing but the player still running.

All gone when I restart the 105D, especially I had to restart many times for no.1

Anyone knows how to solve them please share.  :)

Sorry for my English which is not my native language.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
Re: OPPO 105D PROBLEMS
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2015, 03:03 am »
Can't help you with the 105 issues, but your English is fine!   :thumb:

RDavidson

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2015, 03:16 am »
Maybe you're having a problem with a recent firmware update too?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139397.msg1484676#new

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2015, 03:47 am »
Maybe you're having a problem with a recent firmware update too?
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139397.msg1484676#new

Thanks for your reply.
I don't update latest firmware because some playboys in local 4rum in my area said it would make the 105D not stable?
I am ok with the old firmware only feel a bit worries for the 02 above mentioned issues, I also have a USB j.break firmware (by seller in my area) that sometimes I hook it to my Oppo for DVDa playing purpose.
FYI, my 105d was tweaked & schottky diode modded (a light mod by Philip Rastocny http://audiophile-musings.blogspot.com/2014/09/an-easy-oppo-bdp-105-modification.html). Light modded on the DAC board so I don't think it will effect to the operation of 105D.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 14 Dec 2015, 05:35 am »
I just tried a 103D but had no problem (just wanted to see if the problems extended to the 103D).

ACHiPo

« Reply #5 on: 14 Dec 2015, 01:19 pm »
Hi All,
My music library is stored in 2x 2T HDDs portable (FAT 32) via USB rear ports of Oppo105D.

1. Sometimes when I turn on the 105D but see nothing in folder that I store music files (FLAC, WAV, DSF, etc). I meant I saw folder names only, not the files inside.

2. Another problem: when changing playing from FLAC to DSD (DFF) I hear nothing but the player still running.

All gone when I restart the 105D, especially I had to restart many times for no.1

Anyone knows how to solve them please share.  :)

Sorry for my English which is not my native language.
I can't help you with your first issue, but I had the same issue with DSD files.  The Oppo 105D can't deal with iso or dff files (I don't think).  I switched to a music server and JRiver, and once I got the output sampling figured out (176400) things worked great.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 14 Dec 2015, 02:36 pm »
I can't help you with your first issue, but I had the same issue with DSD files.  The Oppo 105D can't deal with iso or dff files (I don't think).  I switched to a music server and JRiver, and once I got the output sampling figured out (176400) things worked great.
The 105D does handle DSD files via USB. It's the 105 that can't handle them

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2015, 02:39 pm »
The prior post speaks to the DAC input. Either player can do DSD via an attached hard drive

ACHiPo

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2015, 06:00 pm »
The 105D does handle DSD files via USB. It's the 105 that can't handle them
Sorry, I stand corrected--I have the 105, not the 105D. :oops:

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2015, 11:09 pm »
Sorry, I stand corrected--I have the 105, not the 105D. :oops:

I thought Oppo 103,105,103D,105D,..are computers. The D is stand for Darbee , a video function only. And they just turn on /off Dsd, iso capable by giving us firmware to update. Right?
If so, the  Oppo 105 can play Dsd files as well as the 105D? The matter is when Oppo will enable this function, though.

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2015, 12:10 am »
I thought Oppo 103,105,103D,105D,..are computers. The D is stand for Darbee , a video function only. And they just turn on /off Dsd, iso capable by giving us firmware to update. Right?
If so, the  Oppo 105 can play Dsd files as well as the 105D? The matter is when Oppo will enable this function, though.

All those models can play DSD files via an attached hard drives.  The 105 and the 105D can also function as DACs and they have digital inputs. The USB input of the 105 DAC can only handle 24/192. The 105D can do DSD over the USB DAC input

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2015, 03:07 am »
I have an OPPO 105D and my understanding when I bought it is that you are correct, the only difference between the 105 and the 105D is the Darbee video processing which has no effect on audio through either the USB A inputs or the DAC.  However, I don't have the specs on the 105's file format compatibility on hand so I cannot confirm it can play DSD files like the 105D so that may be another difference.

Related to your first problem: I have also used external hard drives (both standard and solid state) as well as USB flash drives. I have found the flash drives to be the most reliable about being discovered and properly read by the player. Larger hard drives really need an external power supply, even SSD's. The OPPO does not supply enough power to reliably operate 1TB and 2TB SSD drives, even though it says it is supposed to. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. I have had it working just fine with a 1TB SSD USB powered drive, switched to a different track and lost access to the drive. Restarting the OPPO would reload the drive. This is less likely to happen with an external drive that has it's own power source.

Also, I use NTFS instead of FAT32.

I have eliminated all these annoying problems by buying a refurbished computer with a clean install of Windows 7 Professional (none of the junk programs slowing things down) with JRiver MC and using it as a server to the 105's USB DAC. I had it configured with a small SSD which holds the operating system and programs ans a second 2TB hard drive which only holds my music files.

If you shelled out the money for the 105 over the 103 you owe it to yourself to use the 105's USB DAC and dedicated stereo outputs rather than the USB A inputs and 7.1 or HDMI outputs for music playback. The 105 is more than twice as expensive as the 103 and the only difference between them is the 105's USB DAC and dedicated stereo outputs. The only drawback is that (on the 105D at least) the USB A inputs can play DSD128 while the USB DAC is limited to DSD64. At least with my version of the firmware that is still true.

Mike

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #12 on: 16 Dec 2015, 05:58 am »
All those models can play DSD files via an attached hard drives.  The 105 and the 105D can also function as DACs and they have digital inputs. The USB input of the 105 DAC can only handle 24/192. The 105D can do DSD over the USB DAC input

Thanks Phil A.
I tried Oppo as USB DAC but sound worse than playing via attached hard drives. This was mentioned all around forums such as CA, AC. Open the lid of Oppo 105D we will see how big of the USB board, bottle neck is there so please forget it. :green:

dreamtheatervn

« Reply #13 on: 16 Dec 2015, 06:41 am »
Mike,
Thanks for sharing.
I have tried USB thumbdrives, HDD with external PSU, HDD portables (no PSU), not yet SDD, and I found HDD portables (no PSU) is the best for playing with Oppo. USB thumb drives can be accessed faster but sounds thin & dry while HDD with external PSU has better sound but still a lot of harsh & sibilance. Maybe I have to copy the j.break firmware to one of my HDD portables (2TB) that always connecting to Oppo to avoid the 1st problem.

How about a computer to push data to Oppo via DLNA (Lan port)? It will sound better than use Oppo as USB DAC for sure.  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 16 Dec 2015, 03:09 pm »
If I had to go with an all in one solution (e.g. Disc spinner, DAC), the 105D is great at its price point. In the main system, my 103D is just used for video and if I have a get together of the Space Coast Audio Society at my place once or twice a year someone might bring a CD which goes from the 103D to my Meitner DAC.

The 103D in a secondary system has files on a hard drive but doesn't get used tons for music. When Oppo does a 4K player, it will likely go in that system and the 103D will likely be rotated to the bedroom system. The bedroom system feeds the outdoor speakers and I can use the Oppo media control App to play files outside from my phone.

DAC technology is changing. I still have a BDP-93 and a modded BDP-83 which still look great for video. The 93 is in the bedroom system and I'll eventually rotate it to a guest room. For me for the price difference between the 103D and 105D I can buy a DAC (e.g. iFi) and a small PC for around the same price point. I realize that will be 3 boxes vs. just the 105D.

tuleggi

« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2023, 06:23 pm »
Thanks for your reply.
I don't update latest firmware because some playboys in local 4rum in my area said it would make the 105D not stable?
I am ok with the old firmware only feel a bit worries for the 02 above mentioned issues, I also have a USB j.break firmware (by seller in my area) that sometimes I hook it to my Oppo for DVDa playing purpose.
FYI, my 105d was tweaked & schottky diode modded (a light mod by Philip Rastocny http://audiophile-musings.blogspot.com/2014/09/an-easy-oppo-bdp-105-modification.html). Light modded on the DAC board so I don't think it will effect to the operation of 105D.

Hi dreamtheatervn, I do realise this post is quite hold, but any chances you can explain me about your usb j.break? As I would be interested to use something like that, thanks