Inlaid Rosewood
Inlaid Maple
Inlaid Oak
Inlaid Walnut
Rosewood (no inlay)
Maple (no inlay)
Oak (no inlay)
Walnut (no inlay)

Poll: What new wood finish option should ACI offer?

Ajax

Re: Poll: What new wood finish option should ACI offer?
« Reply #40 on: 24 Feb 2007, 12:32 am »
Another darker finish fan here who voterd for inlaid walnut.  Never have been a fan of light colored wood.

pacifico

« Reply #41 on: 24 Feb 2007, 12:54 am »
How about a ceramic or poured concrete cabinet. I know it's off the wall but so am I tonight. I have had a long day. :icon_twisted:

Rome

« Reply #42 on: 24 Feb 2007, 01:31 am »
Mike,
Trash the inlays! As one poster put it, "It cheapens the look". I, and every one who visits, absolutely love the Piano Black finish of my Sapphire XLs. I think offering other colors on a special order basis is a great idea. However, if I must choose a wood finish, it would be a Walnut or Rosewood gloss. If you want a wood finish that will knock people out, h :thumb:ow about a dark grey / charcoal burled gloss finish as seen in some Audis?   :thumb:

epiman

« Reply #43 on: 24 Feb 2007, 02:26 am »
I'm voting for the rosewood, but I'm thrilled with my cherry Emeralds.

Russ Lee

« Reply #44 on: 24 Feb 2007, 04:09 am »
I like the rosewood finish, although my oak Emeralds go nicely with most of the front room furniture.  Actually, neither my wife nor I are too concerned with matching stuff, which is a good thing when you're on a tight budget  :) 

Rosewood is appealing to me because it's generally the wood of choice for the back and sides of handmade classical guitars.  With the proper finish it can be arrestingly beautiful.

I voted for the rosewood sans inlay, but I think the inlaid would be a winner, too.

Joe_K

« Reply #45 on: 27 Feb 2007, 01:41 am »
Hi Mike,
I voted for inlaid Walnut as a new finish. Black Walnut always looks good! :D
I am a little surprised that piano gloss black will not be a stock finish? It has a beauty and richness of it's own! I could see the gloss as reflective though and some HT enthusiast not liking that in a darkened room.
The inlaid Cherry on the Titan XL looks real good!
Good luck with your decision!
Joe

Jayman

« Reply #46 on: 27 Feb 2007, 06:08 pm »
I have to give e vote for rosewood (no inlay). I love the piano black and would be remiss if someday it becomes hard to get. Cherry is always an ACI classic that ages nicely.

JimmyB

« Reply #47 on: 28 Feb 2007, 02:40 am »

I'm in for solid rosewood or a more naturl cherry.

I'd love to see a full range replacement for the Essence V, mabe an essence V-XL???
Somthing with maybe 3 7' woofers to compare/compete with the B&W 803 or the Arieal 9s would be killer and I"m sure mike can do it better and deliver it cheaper than either

Build it and we will come...

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #48 on: 5 Mar 2007, 02:30 pm »
How about a ceramic or poured concrete cabinet. I know it's off the wall but so am I tonight. I have had a long day. :icon_twisted:

Actually, I don't think it is off the wall. We've done some experimenting over the years.

About a dozen years ago we did quite a bit with Corian and Fountainhead, very similar characteristics.

griller

« Reply #49 on: 9 Mar 2007, 09:16 pm »
I voted inlayed Maple to add. I think it is a very elegant look. Strongly considering the purchase of Sapphire XL myself, all the outstanding press and personal comments are getting me close to pulling out the old Amex card to hear for myself, will probably be the cherry or possibly the gloss black. It is going to be hard to please everyone on finishes unless you offer a large number of custom choices and it sounds like you don't have the room to do that.

ScottyWatty

« Reply #50 on: 17 Mar 2007, 05:33 pm »
Mike:

I voted maple not inlayed but would also like to see a light cherry. Not sure if I'd inlay it or not at this point.  I definitely think you are on track with supplying a lighter color though.  You will help with the W.A.F. (wife approval factor=Increased Sales!

ScottyWatty

Rick P.

« Reply #51 on: 18 Mar 2007, 11:21 pm »
Will also cast a vote for light cherry.

Rick

Michael Sikorski

« Reply #52 on: 20 Mar 2007, 12:41 am »
I use to live in Hawaii and loved the look of koa wood.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #53 on: 30 May 2007, 02:05 pm »
I'm bumping this one to the top because we're still looking for additional input. Just pretend you have a blank sheet on recommendations . . .  we want as much input as possible as we start to make some ordering decisions. Thanks!

Bruce A

« Reply #54 on: 31 May 2007, 08:07 pm »
Another vote here for light cherry. Would look good on a new floor-standing model.  :)

Lindahl

« Reply #55 on: 31 May 2007, 09:16 pm »
Definitely Walnut. All of our furniture is a nice rich walnut. Because of this, my only choices are Monitor Audio (so-so) and Kef Reference (too expensive). I'm also not a fan of the inlaid look. I'd love to have more choices, especially your Sapphires.

listen

« Reply #56 on: 1 Jun 2007, 11:56 pm »
Hi Mark,
After looking at the added choices, I think I still like the inlaid maple, and of course, the koa.  I see someone else wrote in for koa as well, glad I'm not the only one!

Thanks again!

Joe_K

« Reply #57 on: 6 Jun 2007, 07:30 pm »
Mike,
One wood I always liked the natural beauty of is Coca-bola. I think it would be stunning inlay-ed!
Joe

thotfulspot

« Reply #58 on: 13 Jun 2007, 09:01 pm »
Walnut

sgbmpt

« Reply #59 on: 13 Jun 2007, 09:09 pm »
Though I have not read through all the posts on this subjuct, I think ACI should incorporate their logo on the speakers.  The logo would consist of contrasting wood veneers spelling out ACI in an eloquent design on the side of the speaker.   

Quite probably few people would want to have their beautiful wood grain interrupted by even a nicely designed logo, but it's only a thought. 

The contrasting inlays could even consist of a unique pattern, artistic enough in nature that it would enhance the look of the speaker and not possibly detract from the look as a logo might.  This would most likely drive up the cost too much and ACI would have to find an artisan (if they don't already have one) but this is only a thought.

Anyone have similar ideas?