Welcome to the Forum - Introduce Yourself

Night_Train

Re: Welcome to the Forum - Introduce Yourself
« Reply #60 on: 2 Jun 2006, 12:18 pm »
Goodday' matey......been hangin' round awhile and thought I'd register a first post.

I'm gonna snatch a Maestro off the curb sometime today.

In preparation for the event, I've been vigilantly in-training ala practicing the clean and jerk. (holy schnike....grunt.....argh.....oh, my back......
son of a......)

Anyway.......

Eric

Welcome to the Forum - Introduce Yourself
« Reply #61 on: 2 Jun 2006, 04:31 pm »
Welcome Night-Train. Let us know your impressions once you get it hooked up

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #62 on: 2 Jun 2006, 09:14 pm »
Quote from: Night_Train
Goodday' matey......been hangin' round awhile and thought I'd register a first post.

I'm gonna snatch a Maestro off the curb sometime today.

In preparation for the event, I've been vigilantly in-training ala practicing the clean and jerk. (holy schnike....grunt.....argh.....oh, my back......
son of a......)

Anyway.......

I'd make sure you got some help with that package, a thrown back is no fun  . . .  although you could recover by listening to music and watching movies for a couple of weeks :mrgreen:

Night_Train

Welcome to the Forums
« Reply #63 on: 2 Jun 2006, 09:38 pm »
Quote from: Eric
Welcome Night-Train. Let us know your impressions once you get it hooked up

Thanks for the greeting Eric and concern Mike!

I'll let you know when I "unpack the judge!" (i.e. Maestro)

UPS driver looked kinda relieved as I approached the door.

abbeyemily

« Reply #64 on: 13 Jul 2006, 11:29 am »
Hello All.

I just joined AC yesterday and have already been contacted on my first post "best amps to match with Sapphire XL's".  I have owned a few ACI speakers over the years and just recently purchased a pair of Sapphire XL's.  I compared them directly with JM Labs Electra, Red Rose, Spendor, etc. and the XL's came out ahead in all the most significant areas of imaging, soundstage, bass and absence of any listener fatigue...even after several hours.  While some speakers are slightly better in some areas mentioned above, none are as good as the XL's in every area overall.  In addition, I have always felt that buying directly from the manufacturer (ACI) allows you to actually own more expensive speakers by skipping the middle man!  The XL's at ACI's price of $1500 would list for $3000 at the local audio boutique and you may pick them up for $2500-$2700!  I don't know about you but I work hard for my money and giving it away to some audio salesman is not on my list of smart business decisions! 

I listen to jazz, classical, female voice and mellow rock.  I use an "incredible sounding" Jungson JA-88D, 80 wpc pure class A integrated, a Music Hall Maverick SACD player and Audioquest King Cobra interconnects / Bedrock speaker cables.  Please feel free to contact me anytime!

Marc

Eric

« Reply #65 on: 13 Jul 2006, 03:53 pm »
Welcome to the Forums!!!

ong

« Reply #66 on: 14 Jul 2006, 02:41 am »
I am new to this forum and a new owner of the Force XL! Although the Sub has yet to burn-in and I still have much to learn about Subs in general and this Sub in particular, I wanted to say what a pleasure it has been to deal with Mike and his team. You don't often get the combination of a great product and great customer service, from my experience, but you get BOTH with ACI! It has only been a couple of days and still early days for a firm view of the Sub and how it has worked in my system. Just listening to my system with the new addition brings awe at how a device that is simply supposed to bring more bass into the musical presentation, is also enabling all the higher frequency details to suddenly spring to life! I cannot explain why or how this is so but it is happening and I am in awe. Listening to Chris Spheeris' "Essentials" was a whole new musical experience that moved me physically and emotionally. Treble textures were filigreed within an enormous soundscape, while the bass gave the presentation a visceral heft and presence that made my musical listening more real and absolutely believable. My system consists of Channel Island D200 Monos, Thiel CS2.4 speakers, an el cheapo Panasonic S47 DVD player (used as transport) feeding an Altmann Attraction battery DAC. Just for fun, I watched cable TV with the sound feeding my system and the sound simply enthralled and engaged me throughout. When the show ended in the early hours of the morning, I sat back and mused askance at how the question of whether to buy the Force XL or not - which I wrestled with and consumed me so much - was now not only the right but the ONLY decision that I should have made much earlier. It would have answered my ceaseless doubt and fulfilled my restlessness of why my Thiels (and system) sounded so anaemic and thin in comparison. Over the decades and the needless money mis-spent on audio upgrades, I have come to appreciate that there are audio gems at a bargain that have been waiting to be "discovered" and enjoyed if only one had the opportunity. Mike's Force XL is one of the audio gems that stands very high in my list of stereophile "must have" components. When time permits, and discipline allows, I hope to be able to post my final thoughts of the Force XL and how it has synergised with my system.

denjo

« Reply #67 on: 18 Jul 2006, 01:02 am »
Don't I get a welcome?

:(

didymus

Need help matching center channel speaker with mains
« Reply #68 on: 22 Jul 2006, 12:42 am »
Hello Eric!  Hello all!

I'm a newbie so please bear with me. I'm not sure if this is the right circle for my questions. Here goes...

I have two sets of mains (Optimus Pro LX-10 and ACI Sapphire IIti) each of which, I believe, has 7" woofers. Now I wouldn't know the size of these woofers if I hadn't read a reference to them on the Internet.  And I'm not sure if I can believe what I read on the Internet.  The outside measurement of the surrounds on all woofers from both sets measure 6.25".  But let's assume both sets have 7" woofers.

Question 1: How do you measure the size of a woofer?
                    Outside diameter of the frame which I can't see?
                    Center-to-center of the frame mounting holes which I also can't see?
                    Outside diameter of the surround which I can see?
                    Outside diameter of the cone which I can see?

Is there a standard for woofer measurement, and, if so, what is it?

The Optimus Pro LX-10 set has two 7" woofers per speaker. The ACI Sapphire IIti set has a single 7" woofer per speaker.  I would like to use a single center speaker which will be used with either set of mains.
I listen mainly to classical music via audio CDs and over FM stereo but am starting to get involved with  home theater and movie DVDs.  Obviously, a late bloomer.  The Optimus mains seem to sound much fuller with the classical music than the Sapphires.  However, I'm only listening to the music through the mains with no center channel speaker and no subwoofer.

Question 2: What criteria do I use in choosing a center speaker which can be used for both sets of mains?
                    Do I use the size of the woofers?
                    Do I match on brand names? This is probably not viable since the two sets of mains are
                       different brands.
                    Is center channel speaker matching different when the mains have two woofers per
                       speaker vs one woofer per speaker?
                    Must the center speaker have the same size woofer(s) as the mains or can it be slightly
                       smaller?
                    Is it possible for the Optimus mains to drown out a center speaker if the center speaker
                       only has one woofer? And let's reverse that scenario. Is it possible for a center speaker 
                       with two woofers to drown out the Sapphires which have only one woofer per speaker?
                    Do I use some other criteria which might be difficult for me to ascertain?

There must be an intelligent way of choosing an appropriate center speaker to be used with two sets of mains with different brand names.  Surely, my situation is not unique.  I do have budget restrictions.

I've read statements regarding the matching of certain brand name speakers to certain receiver brands.
(Ex. Don't use Klipsch with Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha, etc. receivers. Rather use a Paradigm or Polk Audio.)
I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-V1200 receiver.

Question 3: Is there any validity in statements like this?

Many thanks for your replies.

Duke

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.audiokinesis.com
« Reply #69 on: 10 Oct 2006, 11:16 pm »
Hello Mike,

I doubt that you remember me but I was a happy customer of Audio Concepts for many years during the 80's.  I built many a system with drivers from Strathearn, Dynaudio and Focal that I bought from you.   

Great to find you still thriving as a manufacturer! 

I'm a dealer now and will have a couple of rooms going at the Denver show, but I'll try to make it by your room and finally meet you. 

Very best wishes,

Duke LeJeune
« Last Edit: 3 Nov 2006, 06:03 pm by Duke »

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #70 on: 11 Oct 2006, 10:33 pm »
Duke:

I DO remember you . . .  good to hear from you again! We'll have to bump into each other in Denver next week. Here's to a great show for all :)

accentstryping

« Reply #71 on: 21 Oct 2006, 12:23 am »

"I'm Bill B. and I hate ACI!  I'm what you call a troll, which by surprise, looks like I'm a first for the crap company of ACI"

We are very sorry to hear you look like a troll... :lol: 
  Obviously audio is the least of your troubles...

regards

Ross @ ACI

« Reply #72 on: 3 Nov 2006, 03:56 am »
Hey everyone, I'm Ross.  Thought I'd jump in and help Mike and Eric out with the forum.

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #73 on: 3 Nov 2006, 05:59 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm Ross.  Thought I'd jump in and help Mike and Eric out with the forum.

Ross:

Glad for the help! Please keep an eye on this place for the weekend as I'll be away until Sunday . . .

ScottyWatty

« Reply #74 on: 14 Dec 2006, 05:07 pm »
Hi!
I am relatively new on this forum, and am enjoying it immensely.  I will be purchasing the following shortly:

Prima Luna Two or Three/Five combo
     XL's
     DH Labs T-14
     DH LABS  interconnects
     Ah! New Tube 4000 CD player, the Jolida 100A or the Rotel RCD-1072.
     Sound Anchor speaker stands.

I've enjoyed your questions and comments.  Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Eric

« Reply #75 on: 15 Dec 2006, 06:18 pm »
Welcome to the forums!!

shep

« Reply #76 on: 15 Dec 2006, 06:34 pm »
I'm Shep, poor white (old) trash, a few months on-board. Live in rural France. Love this Forum..except when nobody replies to me. Then I feel like an idiot! Swore off hi-fi...this is where I'm at at present.
Seriously modded MArantz 67
Denon UD-m31 SOLD! (get one while you still can)
waiting for my Trend amp to get here from M.MArdis
TL Azumi's from Crafty NL.
solid core occ spkr. wires
DH labs silver sonic ic's

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #77 on: 17 Dec 2006, 08:16 pm »
I'm Shep, poor white (old) trash, a few months on-board. Live in rural France. Love this Forum..except when nobody replies to me. Then I feel like an idiot! Swore off hi-fi...this is where I'm at at present.
Seriously modded MArantz 67
Denon UD-m31 SOLD! (get one while you still can)
waiting for my Trend amp to get here from M.MArdis
TL Azumi's from Crafty NL.
solid core occ spkr. wires
DH labs silver sonic ic's
Shep:

Welcome! Pretty hard to swear off on hi-fi and not come back . . . Rural France, sounds relaxing . . .  a great place for music.

shep

« Reply #78 on: 17 Dec 2006, 09:55 pm »
I'm welcome except when I get annoyed, then I open my mouth and someone tells me I'm out of line.
Forget it. I'm having bad hi-karma at present. That's partly why I quit. Yeah rural france would be a nice place for music if it were not for chronic voltage sags. 190-200volts makes the cdp spit and give up and the amp go grey-coloured. Speaking of which, bet Nobody, but nobody on this forum has a modded 1979 Hitachi 30lb integrated. Thought so. Want to hear about it? thought not. Your loss :violin:

Mark B

« Reply #79 on: 18 Dec 2006, 10:31 pm »
I have just joined and have owned nothing but ACI speakers for about 25 years. I just built a HT room and am extremely satisfied with the sound, like i didn't know that already. My speaker system consists of Main - Sapphire XL, Center Sapphire XLC, SUB Maestro XL and 4 Emerald on Wall. The sound is exceptional. I have never had but exceptional service from ACI.  :icon_lol: