Additional RCA output for powered sub-woofer

JeffB

« on: 2 Mar 2005, 07:08 pm »
I am curious about the option for the additional RCA output that can be used for a powered sub-woofer.  I worry about the effects of splitting the low-level signal and how this might affect sound quality.  If it is a simple "Y' split would not the current be cut in half going to both the mains and the sub.

I see two possible routes for me using a sub-woofer.  
1) A battery powered DAC into the Clari-T.  Let the Clari-T split the signal to the mains and the sub.
2) A Behringer DCX2496 which will split the signal and provide the D/A conversion.  I can send 1 output of the Behringer to the Clari-T and the other Behringer output to the sub-woofer.  There could be other options for some people, but the Behringer is $250 which makes this not too expensive.

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

GHM

« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2005, 10:27 pm »
I'm still waiting on my ClariT to return.It will come with the subwoofer outputs on it. I will let you know how it turns out. I figured since I use a BvAudio SR10, the voltage output shouldn't be a problem. My subwoofer manual states a 6 db increase when using both left and right low level inputs. If I have anywhere near 2 volts going in each input I should get some teeth chattering clean bass. We will see!

marklivia

« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2005, 01:30 am »
My favorite sub setup is hooking the sub to the amp via high level speaker input ala the REL subs.
 Does anyone know of a plate amp that can be had that uses this configuration? It's said to give the sub the same signature as the main speaks, as it's using the same signal. Lots of info on the REL site about this logic.

GHM

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2005, 02:18 am »
The Adire subs have the same option. Here's the site ..just go to DIY for the plates.http://www.adireaudio.com/
I couldn't hook mine up that way.Due to the ClariT's configuration.
But there's so many adjustments on these subs. I was able to blend it with no problems. This is one of the cleanest subs I've had the pleasure of hearing or not hearing. For $399 it is a steal !
I have my crossover set around 55/60 hz . I can't localize where it's at and it's only 9 feet from me. This sub makes the big Paradigm servo 15 sound like garbage. Any sub that can keep up with Magnepans or Single driver speakers without lagging behind gets my vote.
Hopefully the ClariT will be back home tomorrow. I can't wait!

marklivia

« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2005, 02:58 am »
Why can''t it work w/ the ClariT?
I just read the manual on those amps- nice pieces. But, they don't have high level speaker inputs like the REL.  The REL actually hook directly to the speaker terminals on the amp(i.e.ClariT). That's where it gets the signal, not from low level RCA inputs.  
I think it's much better.

Zero

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2005, 05:59 am »
I really dont see room on the chasis for additional line pre out's.  I too will be running a sub in the main system - afraid its a necessary evil.  I'd love to see such a thing available on the Clari-t.

GHM

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2005, 09:21 am »
Mark you must be reading wrong. I'm looking at the manual and the back of the sub. It has high level input connections for hooking directly off the amplifiers speaker outputs. It has 1st order crossovers built in just for this.

Zero there is room for the sub outputs, my unit should be here this afternoon it has  left and a right sub outputs installed.

The ClariT cannot have the negative outputs of the speaker terminals tied together. Most active sub high level inputs have the negative leads tied together going to ground. The ClariT doesn't have it's negative terminals tied together. This would basically send the amplifier into a protect mode and probably fry it in the end.

marklivia

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2005, 11:43 am »
Hum.....Could you post a link, maybe i'm looking at the wrong unit? You are right about the wiring setup..it would work if you used 2 subs in stereo, yes?

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2005, 12:57 pm »
If those two subs had two separate amps, you should be fine - it is an issue with grounding the two negative posts, that confounds the Clari-T, and most digital amps - my Teac cannot run speaker level connections to a sub either, but it is not a concern in my setup.

Oh, and here is a link to the back of one of the Clari-T amps that HAS the extra set of RCA's already on there -

http://www.redwineaudio.com/Ordering_Info.html

Good luck,

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
Important info here...
« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2005, 01:54 pm »
Quote from: GHM
The ClariT cannot have the negative outputs of the speaker terminals tied together. Most active sub high level inputs have the negative leads tied together going to ground. The ClariT doesn't have it's negative terminals tied together. This would basically send the amplifier into a protect mode and probably fry it in the end.

All,

GHM is absolutely correct.  The Clari-T-Amp uses the Tripath TA2024 chip, which CANNOT have the negative speaker output terminals tied together.  

Most (if not all) active subs with speaker-level inputs have the Left and Right negative speaker-level inputs tied together (usually to GND).  If you connect the Clari-T-Amp (or the SI, Teac, and other Tripath chips for that matter) in such a configuration, you'll most likely get a distorted output and cause the chip to go into a protection mode!

This is why I am offering optonal volume controlled RCA outputs for the Clari-T-Amp.  You'd simply run a pair of RCAs from the output jacks to the line-leve (RCA) inputs of the sub.  When you raise and lower the volume of the Clari-T-Amp, the speakers and subwoofer volume will raise and lower together.  

Most line-level (RCA) subwoofer inputs have a high input impedance, so loading shouldn't be a problem with most sources (CD players, dacs, etc).  

NOTE: Using a Y-splitter out of your source will make your subwoofer play at one constant volume!  You need it to be volume controlled.

You can always purchase the Clari-T-Amp without the built-in volume control (power amp only), and use your own preamp that has "preamp outputs" (RCA) which would also be volume controlled.  I prefer passive over active (much less coloration) to keep things all-battery powered, but the choice is yours...

Thanks,

GHM

« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2005, 04:11 pm »

jkelly

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2005, 07:53 pm »
Does anyone know of a subwoofer plate amp that isolates either the line or speaker level grounds?  I would like to use my ole DIY NHT 1259's with the Clari-T.

Jeff

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2005, 08:44 pm »
Quote from: jkelly
Does anyone know of a subwoofer plate amp that isolates either the line or speaker level grounds?  I would like to use my ole DIY NHT 1259's with the Clari-T.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

You do not need to be concerned with isolating the line level (RCA) grounds, just the speaker level grounds.  

Regards,

jkelly

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2005, 09:57 pm »
That's good news.  Looks like I will be sending the amp back for the subwoofer mod!

Jeff

GHM

« Reply #14 on: 3 Mar 2005, 10:29 pm »
Well the ClariT has finally made it back home. I've been running it about 2 hours now. The subwoofer outputs work just fine. No problems..I have my subwoofer volume at 10 O'clock. There is more than enough gain coming through the ClariT. I'm running both subwoofer outs into the sub. My subwoofer cables are 15 ft long. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the volume of my main speakers either.

Adding the subwoofer seems to help flesh out the music more with the addition of the low end foundation .

After being without the ClariT for a week. Hooking it back up I'm reminded just how fast this amplifier is. WOW..talking about rocking out! You can do it with some FR single drivers and a sub. The music is so distortion free I didn't realize how much I was cranking it. Until I pulled the SPL meter back out. 86dB  :o ..that's loud for me! That's at 9 O'clock on the ClariT.

Relax guys!! The sub outs are the way to go!  :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 3 Mar 2005, 11:00 pm »
Quote from: GHM
Well the ClariT has finally made it back home. I've been running it about 2 hours now. The subwoofer outputs work just fine. No problems..I have my subwoofer volume at 10 O'clock. There is more than enough gain coming through the ClariT. I'm running both subwoofer outs into the sub. My subwoofer cables are 15 ft long. It doesn't seem to have any effect on the volume of my main speakers either.

Adding the subwoofer seems to help flesh out the music more with the addition of the low end foundation .

A ...

Thanks for your feedback GHM...glad you are happy with it!  :guitar: