McIntosh MC 462 vs. Bryston 14B Cubed

donpinar

McIntosh MC 462 vs. Bryston 14B Cubed
« on: 26 Jul 2019, 06:51 pm »
I have an opportunity to purchase either amplifier used at roughly the same price. Just wanted any feedback from members who might have experience with both brands. My current system consists of the following:
Bryston 4B 2
Bryston BP-17 Cubed
Bryston BCD-3 CD
ProAc D20R
Bryston BLP-1

Any experiences or suggestions appreciated. I realize the Bryston packs a bit more wallop but even the 4B 2 handles the ProAcs well.

Stu Pitt

Re: McIntosh MC 462 vs. Bryston 14B Cubed
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2019, 08:33 pm »
Macintosh makes fantastic sounding and built gear. So does Bryston. As a Bryston gear owner, my unbiased :) opinion is that they’re equals. Bryston does have the edge in the 20 year transferable warranty though.

Both companies’ house sound is very consistent across their entire respective ranges. You’ll have a great idea what to expect from the top of the line piece if you’ve only heard the lowest piece.

But both companies’ house sound is quite different. I don’t think I’d mix the two. Go out and hear a Mac demo, and you’ll know what their gear does. I really like it, but not everyone does. I also really like Bryston, but not everyone does.

donpinar

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2019, 11:17 pm »
My dilemma precisely, I'll take a trip to the local McIntosh dealer but do like my Bryston gear.

bjski

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2019, 05:35 am »
I would try the 7 cube if space allows.