Standard Songtower RT's vs Song 3's

Kinger

Standard Songtower RT's vs Song 3's
« on: 2 Feb 2021, 03:06 pm »
Hi all,

Are there any Salk owners out there that have owned both of these offerings and can comment as to what you found as better between the two in your listening space?  I've been a standard Songtower RT owner for years now and find them an amazing speaker for the price, but the upgradeitus bug has recently hit and I'm wondering if the Song 3 is a worthwhile upgrade or if I'd really need to go quite a bit further up the chain to perceive much of a difference from what I'm already enjoying with my current pair.  In some e-mails with Jim he felt the main difference was bass extension and impact in going to the Song 3.

jd3

Re: Standard Songtower RT's vs Song 3's
« Reply #1 on: 2 Feb 2021, 04:52 pm »
Kinger,

I've had SongTower RT's as well as Song 3 Encores and now, Song 3 BeAT's.  Not sure if you're looking specifically at the Song 3 specifically or are exploring all the iterations.  I can give my experience with the models I've had.  The ST RT's were in my HT system, and when I sold my Encores I moved them to my 2 channel system while awaiting the BeAT's.  When I moved them in, the first thing I noticed was the difference in bass and midrange articulation.  After a while though, I began to realize what a great speaker the ST is.   While their sound was not as room filling as the Encores, I didn't lack for anything in the treble region.  Once I replaced them with the BeAT's (left the ST's with Jim to sell for me) I regained the midrange definition though not the bottom end (which I'd expected).  The BeAT's have more bass than the ST's, and just have a fuller sound than the ST's.  I would agree with Jim there's more bass extension and impact with the 3 Series.  If there was only one of Jim's speakers I could have and cost/space was a consideration it would be the SongTowers. 

John

Kinger

« Reply #2 on: 2 Feb 2021, 05:52 pm »
Thanks jd3!  High praise indeed for the ST's.......maybe I'm looking in the wrong place for an upgrade to my system although you know what many say.........look to speakers first :)

jd3

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2021, 08:12 pm »
Yep!  I've actually owned 3 pairs of ST's over the years.  First 2 pairs were 'regular' with the dome tweeter.  Each time I sold a pair I regretted selling them.  I do prefer the BeAT's though, but for a smaller footprint floor stander the ST's are a great speaker. 

Kinger

« Reply #4 on: 2 Feb 2021, 08:37 pm »
Yeah the footprint is now not as much of an issue with my system being moved to my unfinished basement.  In fact, for the first time I've been able to put the ST's well out into the room (3' from the front wall and 4' from the side walls) and it's amazing how much more of a soundstage I have :)  I just wondered if spending more in an upgrade really was going to be worth the hassle in selling my ST's and coming up with the additional coin for the upgrade.

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 3 Feb 2021, 01:10 am »
Hi,

I have a pair of Song3's and Ht3 speakers and previously owned a pair of regular HT2's.  Apart from deeper bass in comparison to the ST's and Song 3's I think the midrange wouldn't be much of an improvement in the Song 3's.  The seas midrange in the HT3's in comparison to the Tang band midrange in the Song 3's is level better imo. I'd go to at least HT2 TL speakers or another version of the Song 3's.

Good luck with your decision.

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2021, 03:38 am by Rocket »

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 3 Feb 2021, 02:41 am »
I have the HT2-TL and have heard the Songtower's and the major difference is the bass, which is why I bought the HT2-TL's. I have heard at least a dozen high end setups at our local audio group member's homes and they are all excellent, many have $10,000 speakers and I still don't have the upgrade bug, the Salk's are that good. Your Songtower RT's are just as good as any expensive speaker except in one area: deep bass.

Listening to other systems at our audio group member's homes my brain says "Where's the bass?" You see I got a sub a few years ago and my system goes down to 18 Hz, one thing all those expensive systems don't do (not even close), the Song3 Encore's don't go down that low. It's about space, not bass. A good sub opens up the room so you hear the hall, once you hear it you realize "Oh, that is what a sub is supposed to do". I always point to the Upscale Audio review of the REL Gibraltar G1, they explain bass much better than I can (I have the smaller G2 version):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSHkpy2280Q
Notice the red Nola speakers far left and right in the video? Those are similar to my buddy's speakers, I have heard them a lot. He uses dual subs in his room.

If you have $3295 burning a hole in your pocket (the price of the Song3), a REL subwoofer would be the best way to spend your money. Get a new S/812 for $2650 and be completely gobsmacked like Ashgar:
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=170815.msg1808224#msg1808224

REL S/812: https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/serie-s/s-812/
$2650 S/812: https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa5fe9-rel-acoustics-s812-10-10-never-used-original-box-subwoofers

I suggest you call Rachel Paik at the REL factory in Berkeley, CA. (510) 990-6005
REL has great customer support and she has helped both me and A_shah with our questions.

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 3 Feb 2021, 03:40 am »
Hi WGH,

A nice suggestion. What about Jim's rhythmic subwoofer?  I have one although I don't use it at the moment. Don't ask too...

Cheers Rod

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 3 Feb 2021, 05:31 am »
Two of our audio club members have dual Rhythmik subs, both have the sub volume turned down so low I have never "heard" the subs so I don't have a complete opinion. The music they usually play doesn't have low bass, no Yello, Mickey Hart or Hans Zimmer soundtracks so no low, low bass rolling across the room and rattling dishes. Did you know "The Trinity Session", the second album by the Cowboy Junkies, has low 20 Hz bass? You should be teleported to Toronto's Church of the Holy Trinity when playing the first track "Mining for Gold", the space is huge.

REL subs teleport, the jury is out whether Rhythmik subs have that feature.

Kinger

« Reply #9 on: 3 Feb 2021, 11:56 am »
Thanks for your comments WGH and Rocket.

I guess I should point out that I have a Rythmik F12 in my system. (Well I did until I accidentally shorted the amp a month back or so.)  The shorting of the amp came right after I moved my gear so perhaps when the amp returns and I put it back in the system (hopefully Friday) I'll be back in the camp of not thinking about new main speakers again :)  In fact, now that I'm in a much larger space perhaps I'll consider getting another and running them dual.

Ace Deprave

« Reply #10 on: 5 Feb 2021, 04:18 pm »
I have dual F12s with my Verasity STs, and after living with them for 7 years, I still love their sound.

Kinger

« Reply #11 on: 5 Feb 2021, 06:08 pm »
That is one beautiful looking space sir :)

If I do go dual subs I need to figure out how I'm going to EQ each.  Right now I've just got a single SMS-1 taking care of EQ duties.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #12 on: 5 Feb 2021, 06:23 pm »

If I do go dual subs I need to figure out how I'm going to EQ each.  Right now I've just got a single SMS-1 taking care of EQ duties.

You could consider SVS SB3000 or 4000 subs.  They have a 3 band Parametric Equalizer and other adjustable functions though a cell phone app.

The Rythmik has a 1 band and no app. It has other adjustable functions as well.  If you have $3K to spend, the new Velodyne DD+ servo subs have an 8 band

Ace Deprave

« Reply #13 on: 5 Feb 2021, 07:31 pm »

Thank you! It's about to change, in the process of relocating from Louisiana to Colorado...now will need to find a home that will accommodate my hobby!