2010 Mac Mini mods and power supply

Wayne1

2010 Mac Mini mods and power supply
« on: 19 Aug 2010, 04:36 pm »
The stock 2010 Mac Mini uses an internal switching power supply that is not able to reap the benefits of changing to a linear power supply.

After some research, I think it might be possible to bypass the internal switcher, add an external DC jack to the Mini's case and use an external linear power supply.

The big drawback is this mod will completely void the Mac Mini's warranty.

If there is anyone out there that has a 2010 Mac Mini that would like to get it modded to use an external linear supply, please contact me. I would be very willing to work out a deal for the mod and an external PS. You must understand that once I open the case, the warranty is void.

mchuckp

Re: 2010 Mac Mini mods and power supply
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2010, 07:23 pm »
This is GREAT news Wayne.  Wish I had one for you to try.  Not in the position financially at the moment to buy a new one AND get the mod.  Probably gonna hold off a few months before going the dedicated computer route.  Definitely glad to know this option is available.

Looking forward to someone's impressions.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2010, 08:54 pm »
I hope to pull the trigger and try computer audio again in 2011 and no doubt it will be with a Mini and hopefully a EE DAC.  It'd be super sweet to have them both Bolderized.

But don't you need two, so you'd have a stock one to compare with?  (Same with any modded product, and it'd make for a nice demo at RMAF or at least at a local audiophile gathering.)

Wayne1

« Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2010, 10:18 pm »
If you want to send me two, I'm fine with that  :lol:

Quite honestly, I have heard the difference between switching power supplies and my linear supplies in enough gear to know it will improve imaging, lower the noise level, increase dynamics, etc.

The main thing I need to do is to work out the dis-assembly of the Mac Mini and putting it back together.

But if some manufacturer who uses a Mac Mini for a music server wants to send me one, we can work something out if they use it for demo at RMAF.

TONEPUB

« Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2010, 10:27 pm »
Why not just get the last generation mac mini (with external supply) and go from there?

Wayne1

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2010, 10:41 pm »
I believe there are some advantages to the latest gen MacMini. I also have received some requests for a mod for the 2010 model to use a linear PS.

I do make a linear PS for the previous generation that all who have tried it seem to like very much. The demo just arrived back here and will go out again on tour early next week.

tunedin

« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2010, 10:08 pm »
Have you been able to obtain a donor 2010 Mini yet?

Wayne1

« Reply #7 on: 3 Sep 2010, 11:55 pm »
No one has stepped up to send me a Mac Mini as of yet.

It might take some time to complete the mod. in fact it might not be until after RMAF so we can field test the the mods.  :wink: