***X-Otica Main & Sub Build***

Guy 13

Re: ***X-Otica Main & Sub Build***
« Reply #160 on: 25 Jul 2016, 06:59 am »
WOW Peter thanks a lot for the well documented built.
Lots of good pictures tell everything about your talent and work of art.
I admire people that can do special things.
Thanks again.

Guy 13

TrungT

« Reply #161 on: 25 Jul 2016, 07:00 am »
Wow  :thumb:

mirekti

« Reply #162 on: 26 Jul 2016, 12:40 am »
When I see someone capable of making such a masterpiece and I start thinking about doing it myself, I just want to cry.
Fabulous work and ideas!!!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #163 on: 1 Aug 2016, 02:25 am »
When I see someone capable of making such a masterpiece and I start thinking about doing it myself, I just want to cry.
Fabulous work and ideas!!!

Oh man, don't cry, I'll start feeling responsible  :wink:

It's supposed to be inspirational!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #164 on: 1 Aug 2016, 03:03 am »
This week's installment is about the age old dilemma of designers vs. builders. But I'm both in this case, so I'll go stare in the mirror and swear at the designer for his apparent callousness in not considering how this will get built. Problem is, I liked the looks so I didn't bring it up to him earlier and just pressed on...

Amp boxes went as planned mostly...

Then came the grills. I wrestled with how to do this and even started down one path only to stop midstream and hatch another game plan.
Dados...,many dados. Easier to cut them in bigger blanks and cut down later. Look closely at miter gauge fence and you'll spot my jig for getting consistent spacing

Was gonna do the whole thing in MDF. Thought I'd make a pattern and rout all eighty :o, yes, 80 bars/slats. Then the winds of change blew in and I nixed the MDF in favor of Poplar. At least I had the setup figured out so not too bad in the overall scope of the forever build.

Glued up some blanks

To end up with these

Then trimmed to dimension

To end up with these...is there an echo in here?

Then lots of slicing to finish with these. Well over 100 figuring some would be wonky...and they were

Then comes the tedium, but I gotta say I'm jazzed with the result, even did a little dance. Is that TMI?

TrungT

« Reply #165 on: 1 Aug 2016, 03:24 am »
Wow cool  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #166 on: 1 Aug 2016, 03:46 am »
Just incredible Peter, wow.

Best,
Ed

Guy 13

« Reply #167 on: 1 Aug 2016, 05:19 am »
Peter that's a lot of glueing and work,
but the result will worth the work.
More pictures please.

Guy 13

Captainhemo

« Reply #168 on: 1 Aug 2016, 02:59 pm »
Wow cool  :thumb:

ditto !
Very impressive as always Peter  :beer:

jay

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #169 on: 12 Aug 2016, 04:34 am »
Inching closer to the finish line. If I were competing in a speaker build-off, I think I can safely say I'd win the DLBF award. (Dead Last But Finished)

Got the amp cage grills finished

Magnets retain them, gotta love those Neo magnets

Moving on to amp bases. Want to get all the mahogany stuff done so I can finish at same time

My initial idea

Changed things just a little. I Heatlocked some veneer onto Baltic birch for perimeter frame.

Gluing up

Installed threaded inserts for balls

Now for the inserts. I laminated 1/4" Baltic Birch to 1/2" MDF so it's like the rest of the madness. But then I thought " hmmm, needs some fairy dust to give it that high-end cachet".

Glued up fairy dust boxes to attach to bottom of inserts

After gluing onto bottom of insert, I dumped two different sizes of lead shot into them. This will provide differential spherical damping effect

Then a careful dose of potent white sand collected from the beaches of western New Zealand. This stuff is spendy but worth it. It will drain away the stresses of the lamination and enhance spatial perception

Look closely at the above photo. See that brown fluffy looking stuff? That's the actual fairy dust. It's a special plant that I grow and dry right here in the basement and crush with a magic mortar and pestle. This is what it looks like before drying

Once filled with the special ingredients, I entombed it with the vacuum press

Flushed trimmed and sanded the "dust box". The inserts will be finished like the grills and be supported on silicone rubber glazing tape attached to ledge on frame. Amps will be happy.

« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2016, 05:55 am by Peter J »

Guy 13

« Reply #170 on: 12 Aug 2016, 04:49 am »
Peter,
one more time, you have impressed me !
Your work in pictures is captivating me
and I'm always surprised with what you come up with.

Guy 13

THROWBACK

« Reply #171 on: 12 Aug 2016, 12:29 pm »
I'm with you, Peter. A system should be beautiful looking as well as beautiful sounding. Great work!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #172 on: 12 Aug 2016, 04:55 pm »
Really sharp Peter, as always though your fairy dust plant looks suspiciously like Swiss Chard  :thumb:

Mike

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #173 on: 12 Aug 2016, 06:25 pm »
The slats look really cool.

It looks like somethings been eating your fairy dust plant, is that what fairies eat?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #174 on: 12 Aug 2016, 06:38 pm »
Really sharp Peter, as always though your fairy dust plant looks suspiciously like Swiss Chard  :thumb:

Mike

No way that's Swiss Chard, Mike. The fairy that sold me the seeds assures me I have the only FD plants above the equator. Chard just doesn't have the magical sonic punch this stuff does. Turns out genuine FD plants like the climate in Idaho and particularly our flower bed....don't tell anyone...

It's the Duke's Mixture of all three elements in the Dust Box that makes it all come together and sonically integrate and enhance the surroundings. I'm told it radiates in about a four foot radius, so I'm hoping it spills over on speakers as well. I didn't say so in original post, but I also included a 1928* penny in each box. My amps won't settle for anything but the good stuff...they're fussy that way.

*Mickey Mouse's birth year.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #175 on: 12 Aug 2016, 06:41 pm »
The slats look really cool.

It looks like somethings been eating your fairy dust plant, is that what fairies eat?

Oh no, Greg, it's poisonous to fairies. Might have been a Sonic Slug or a confused leaf cutter bee.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #176 on: 12 Aug 2016, 07:53 pm »
Oh no, Greg, it's poisonous to fairies. Might have been a Sonic Slug or a confused leaf cutter bee.

Well, Obviously I'm confused, I thought fairies distributed fairy dust? If the plant is poisonous where do they get their dust?

Ummm, I'm starting to get suspicious. Are you really who you say you are, or does your last name really start with a P?

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #177 on: 12 Aug 2016, 09:34 pm »
Well, Obviously I'm confused, I thought fairies distributed fairy dust? If the plant is poisonous where do they get their dust?

Ummm, I'm starting to get suspicious. Are you really who you say you are, or does your last name really start with a P?

My understanding is that they can handle it, but not ingest it. Like food one's allergic too, you know? It's one of the odd and little known facts about FD.

An imposter? Might be a possibility but for one thing. Who in their right mind would want to impersonate me? I would think it would be to their detriment.

But that assumes one is indeed of right mind... hmmm

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #178 on: 13 Aug 2016, 11:48 pm »
I ignored work I should have been doing today, and did this 'cuz I was excited about it. Probably my favorite part of the build, although listening will be pretty cool, too.

I'll pay my penance tomorrow.

I sprayed the amp base inserts

And then the chemist in me got to come out and play

Made yet more samples.  I suppose I've been all over with this part, but landed on something that would stand out.

Cheesecloth first

Then tissue

Wet down with Sodium Sulfate solution

Four minutes go by

Comes out looking a little different, no? Before and after

After the sub frames I did the mains baffle

I use shellac as a barrier coat. The gilding size doesn't always play well with solvent based stuff I'll be finishing with

Added some Transtint

Tone coat in cup. It looks like a lot, but when sprayed out, the effect is subtle

Here's where they stand now. The overall effect will be toned down somewhat by drivers, grills and subsequent finishing steps. All in good time...

« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2016, 12:50 am by Peter J »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #179 on: 14 Aug 2016, 12:39 am »
Peter,

Not sure how to respond, WOW!!! doesn't seem to cover it.

It's the fairy dust isn't it? Must have drifted over from the amp boxes. That's it, yeah.

Mike