Ok you guitar guys

GT Audio Works

Ok you guitar guys
« on: 2 Mar 2014, 09:32 pm »
My son has been playing guitar for just over a year now,, he just picked it up himself no lessons.
One day I happened to pass by the door to his room and hear tuneful  SRV Little Wing licks coming out.
Really good...I mean he not only had the notes down but the feel and style of the tune.
I asked him where that came from...you tube was his answer.
My suspicions were confirmed by guitar players that have heard him...he needs lessons to get him down the right path, but he has it in his hands I am told.

He was originally given a cheap package deal Ibanez electric and 5 watt practice amp by a friend who lost interest in guitar playing.
What do you want for free a 59 Les Paul ??
He played that for a few months and got the bug for a good guitar...he scraped together all his birthday money from the family and got an Epiphone Les Paul and a used Marshall 12" speaker combo amp with a tube front end. For less than $700... the sounds coming from his room are fantastic. His playing has really improved by leaps and bounds.
Now he wants another guitar..he is using his own money... I can think of worse ways a 14 year old could spend it.
He has his eye on a Stratocaster, we have made the route from store to store looking for one he likes.
At first he was going to get a new Mexican made Maple Sunburst Strat for about $550...he played it and liked it fine.
Then we ran across a very good condition used American Strat for $600..2 tone alder body maple fingerboard, don't know the exact model designation I think it cost about a grand new. Anyway he picked it up and immediately liked the feel and sound, of course the Fender Twin Reverb helped a lot.
The salesman said this is the way to go, as the Mexi unit especially with a veneer of maple on the top will not sound the same as the solid body American unit. I don't doubt this but I am not that familiar with guitars to know..anybody want to comment ??   Greg

Wayner

Re: Ok you guitar guys
« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm »
The American version will sound better (better pickups) and certainly will hold its value. The Mexi version will decrease in value rapidly.

Wayner (I love Telecasters).

GT Audio Works

« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2014, 10:55 pm »
The American version will sound better (better pickups) and certainly will hold its value. The Mexi version will decrease in value rapidly.

Wayner (I love Telecasters).
I figured on resale value alone it's the better deal.
According to my son, it sounds and plays better too.
I was just confused,  Fender has so many models that range from $250 for Chinese to thousands of dollars for a top American piece.
I don't know where this one is in the model range. It looks like this  http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/60th-anniversary-1954-american-vintage-stratocaster-maple-fingerboard-2-color-sunburst/ but I am sure it is not over $3 g's.

k6davis

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2014, 11:04 pm »
It's important not to get caught up in expensive guitars, especially when you're starting out. It's easy to get it in your head that you'd be able to play better with the $2,000 model than the $300 one. The more expensive models of usually have better parts, build and quality control whereas the cheaper guitars are more random, with some being garbage, but others being just as good as anything available.

I have both expensive & inexpensive guitars and while my Gibson/American Les Paul Classic is my favorite, I have a $200 Ibanez that I bought casually and it's turned out to be fantastic as well. Of course, if the American made instrument is within reach and he likes it, that's great. It'll have the added benefit of increased pride of ownership.

There are so many variables, including whether the guitar is set up properly and the way he likes it. What really matters is that he go to a store and play the guitars until he finds one that he doesn't want to put down. The guitar will choose him.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2014, 11:45 pm »
It's important not to get caught up in expensive guitars, especially when you're starting out. It's easy to get it in your head that you'd be able to play better with the $2,000 model than the $300 one. The more expensive models of usually have better parts, build and quality control whereas the cheaper guitars are more random, with some being garbage, but others being just as good as anything available.

I have both expensive & inexpensive guitars and while my Gibson/American Les Paul Classic is my favorite, I have a $200 Ibanez that I bought casually and it's turned out to be fantastic as well. Of course, if the American made instrument is within reach and he likes it, that's great. It'll have the added benefit of increased pride of ownership.

There are so many variables, including whether the guitar is set up properly and the way he likes it. What really matters is that he go to a store and play the guitars until he finds one that he doesn't want to put down. The guitar will choose him.
No worries there, its his money and that's the last of it,, he sold a bunch of video game junk and airsoft rifles that he seems to have outgrown. From looking at the price of this stuff $600 does not seem to be a whole lot for a guitar.
As you said the guitar will choose him, he really lit up when he picked up this particular Strat.  He put $150 down on it , looks like we will be going to the music store this week.  Greg

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2014, 04:30 pm »
The guitar companies do have a lot of models out nowadays, don't they?  That's a big complaint from customers - how many different takes on one model does anybody need?
If the guitar appeals to your son and sounds and feels right, that's the one for him.

Delacroix

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2014, 05:10 pm »
That price, for a US made Strat, makes it a decent deal. The range of Strats is huge, even if you limit it to US made models but in that range, much of the variance is dwarfed by set up. If he's played it, it's set up well and feels good to him, then I'd encourage him to get it. A well made and set-up Strat can be all the guitar he'll ever need. Of course, if he's like the rest of us, it will never be enough, but once he puts some hours on a guitar that feels right, it will become part of him. And further, you can repair practically everything on a Strat over time so it just gets better with age as long as its played. I think it's great your son is so into this -- guitar playing can be a lifetime passion.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2014, 05:17 pm »
Cheap entertainment and you'll never exhaust the instrument's possibilities, too.
It's nice to see him being given the encouragement right off the bat.
Don't let him plug it into your stereo, he'll blow up your speakers!

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2014, 06:00 pm »
There are so many versions of Strats out there, US, Mex, etc.  I like US Strats in general but I'd like to make a couple suggestions:

1. Check to make sure it has not been modded.  Many people swap parts from Strats and that's not always a good thing.  If it's a US model with a US neck and stock electronics, it might be a good deal.

2. Make sure it has modern neck radius.  I had a "vintage" strat about ten years ago and it had a 7.25 radius neck.  I HATED playing that thing because new necks have larger radius (they are flatter in shape).  Vintage radius is easier for chords but I kept fretting out whenever I bent strings.

3.  Check out some good celebrity issues.  The SRV Strat is very cool but the neck is VERY thick and might not be suitable for someone with smaller hands.  Played a Jeff Beck Strat once and it was comfortable and sounded good.  It won't make you play like Jeff Beck! But that's okay because only one guy can do that anyway...  My favorite reissue (by FAR) is the Eric Johnson Strat.  He's not my favorite player but the EJ Strat is the best Strat I have ever tried.  It's lightweight and the neck is beautiful (on the models I have tried).  I've seen them on eBay for reasonable money and you can usually sell it for what you paid if you get it for a decent deal.  I've seen them go for $1000-1,500 on eBAy and that's a great deal for such a well made guitar.  The necks go for >$800 usually.  It's above your budget but if you decide to sell it in a few years, you will not lose any money, it will probably increase in value.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Artist-Signature-Eric-Johnson-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-USA-EJ-Strat-/201020867552?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ecdc703e0

4.  Avoid Hard-tail strats (no tremolo bar) because they are impossible to re-sell without taking a heavy loss.  Also, avoid Floyd Rose tremolo strats and ones with funky colors for the same reason.  Sunburst, or the colors from the 60's are cool and easy to resell if he decides to stop playing or if you ever want to sell the axe.

Lastly, make sure whatever Strat you get is lightweight and has a neck that fits your son's hands well.  I hate skinny necks and can't play overly chunky necks because my hands are average size.  If he's going to play it, it has to fit him properly.  Strats are supposed to be light and resonant.  Some of the China poly coated monstrosities are the exact opposite. 

Cheers,

Jack

jackman

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2014, 06:14 pm »
I figured on resale value alone it's the better deal.
According to my son, it sounds and plays better too.
I was just confused,  Fender has so many models that range from $250 for Chinese to thousands of dollars for a top American piece.
I don't know where this one is in the model range. It looks like this  http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/60th-anniversary-1954-american-vintage-stratocaster-maple-fingerboard-2-color-sunburst/ but I am sure it is not over $3 g's.

It's probably not the one in the picture.  Fender has several models and many look alike, but are very different.  Also, list prices are usually much higher than street prices. A sunburst with maple neck is a pretty popular configuration.  See my message below for some suggestions if this one doesn't work out. 

Your purchase appears safe but Fender high end guitars can be tricky because they are easy to counterfeit.  Guys change necks, electronics and "Made in USA" tags are easy to buy on line and swap out for inferior, cheap Asian guitars.  All Asian guitars have poly finishes and most high end US guitars have lacquer finishes.  I believe Fender uses lacquer (nitro) over poly to give a good appearance but I never liked this practice.  I should have also added, please avoid guitars with wood veneer or "photo" finishes.  You can google photo flame finishes but they are basically a sticker with a picture of wood flames.  It's a sneaky way to make a cheap guitar look like it has expensive wood but doesn't feel right to me and some say the sticker deadens the sound of the wood.  Photo flames would be cool for speakers because wood resonance is not beneficial and they would allow you to use cheap wood and make it look cool.  Not good for guitars.

Cheers,

J

TF1216

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: 3 Mar 2014, 06:54 pm »
Do any of you guitar players hang out at Jam Track Central?  Ever since discovering a talent that can be found on there it appears to be the guitar player's paradise for learning guitar.

http://www.jamtrackcentral.com/

GT Audio Works

« Reply #11 on: 3 Mar 2014, 07:28 pm »
Thanks for all the input.

We have been dealing with this music store for many years, I believe the guitar is what they say it is... he really likes it, and for $50 more than the new Mexi. it sounds like the way to go.

Matt has already made up his mind and is counting the days till we pick it up. His birthday is Thursday and I got him Guitar lessons for his new axe.
He does not read music and learns most of this stuff by ear. I think lessons will lay down a foundation and allow him go farther with his talent.

I love hearing the sound of a live guitar and piano in the house...makes you realize we have along way to go with recorded music.   Greg

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2014, 07:46 pm »
I'm not a guitar player, but I've played the drums for fifty years. Every musician that I've known will tell you the same thing. Never buy an entry level instrument and always buy the best instrument you can afford. It makes a difference. You'll play better, right off the bat and new stuff will come to you easier.

Doc

GT Audio Works

« Reply #13 on: 3 Mar 2014, 08:00 pm »
I'm not a guitar player, but I've played the drums for fifty years. Every musician that I've known will tell you the same thing. Never buy an entry level instrument and always buy the best instrument you can afford. It makes a difference. You'll play better, right off the bat and new stuff will come to you easier.

Doc
I have to agree, the minute he picked that one up he seemed to put more feeling into his licks.

I thought it might be what us trap shooters call new gun syndrome. You shoot a new and better gun and your scores improve, temporarily anyway.
Then you start back to your bad habits.
That moment of infatuation you don't have your mind on your performance and just do it, your more relaxed,yielding better results.   Greg

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 30 Mar 2014, 02:31 pm »
Did he get it?

GT Audio Works

« Reply #15 on: 30 Mar 2014, 05:31 pm »
Did he get it?
Yes he did, he loves it. He dragged that big amp over to his buddies house who plays drums the other day to jam with him.
Greg

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #16 on: 30 Mar 2014, 05:36 pm »
Lets hear him give it a rip. 

GT Audio Works

« Reply #17 on: 30 Mar 2014, 05:49 pm »
Lets hear him give it a rip.
I keep telling him to post on youtube, maybe when he develops more confidence.