The Guitar Thread

Ericus Rex

Re: The Guitar Thread
« Reply #60 on: 3 Jan 2013, 01:44 am »
I appreciate it. Thanks!

OK.  So I've had a chance to look at the video.  He never does mention the names of the spaces above or below the grand staff.  This is just because they don't form a nice, memorable word like ACE.  But those notes do exist, just not in his diagram.  He certainly should have mentioned that the note names do continue above and below the staves alphabetically.  Just like the staff has lines and spaces, the ledger lines outside of the staff have spaces as well.

Does this help?

Rclark

« Reply #61 on: 3 Jan 2013, 01:47 am »
So it's not just "ACE" above or ECA below but it continues in the ABCDEFG format?

Ericus Rex

« Reply #62 on: 3 Jan 2013, 02:33 am »
So it's not just "ACE" above or ECA below but it continues in the ABCDEFG format?

Yes.  He could have been clearer in the video about that.

Rclark

« Reply #63 on: 3 Jan 2013, 02:46 am »
Thing is, it doesn't make any sense.. Why isn't it G that starts above instead of A? The ECA below makes no sense either.

medium jim

« Reply #64 on: 3 Jan 2013, 03:11 am »
Because, "G" is the next note and "A" would then be the next line above the original five lines in the Treble Clef musical notation.  Then you would have "B" between the lines with the next Line being "C" and so on.

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #65 on: 3 Jan 2013, 03:43 am »
Thank you Jim.

Would you mind drawing it on a scrap of paper?

medium jim

« Reply #66 on: 3 Jan 2013, 03:56 am »
Thank you Jim.

Would you mind drawing it on a scrap of paper?

I could but this is more illustrative:

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #67 on: 3 Jan 2013, 04:29 am »

Rclark

« Reply #68 on: 3 Jan 2013, 04:38 am »

Rclark

« Reply #69 on: 3 Jan 2013, 06:52 am »
Whew I just spent the last two hours in the riff repeater mode playing Are You Gonna Go My Way by Kravitz. This is an absolute riot.  Pretty proud of how much I've gotten done in my first week at it. Because of the software I have played an immense amount of guitar.

It's exciting as hell. Holy crap I'm looking down at my hands that are making chords and switching to notes and back and not screwing up, making different chords and they sound good... It's love.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #70 on: 3 Jan 2013, 07:01 am »
Whew I just spent the last two hours in the riff repeater mode playing Are You Gonna Go My Way by Kravitz. This is an absolute riot.  Pretty proud of how much I've gotten done in my first week at it. Because of the software I have played an immense amount of guitar.

It's exciting as hell. Holy crap I'm looking down at my hands that are making chords and switching to notes and back and not screwing up, making different chords and they sound good... It's love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqUq2Da7d5c  :thumb:

Rclark

« Reply #71 on: 3 Jan 2013, 07:11 am »
 :green:
Not yet, but some pretty chunky callous action started now that I'm doing more chords.  :thumb:

I think this guitar with 9's is gonna be very kind to me. It doesn't have super high action either.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #72 on: 3 Jan 2013, 07:20 am »
You'll be fine over time....takes awhile to build up... :wink:  :guitar:

And don't forget to follow .....the dots.... :lol:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #73 on: 3 Jan 2013, 01:11 pm »
Don't beat yourself up too much about theory and notation.  Outside of the classical and jazz world very few guitarists have a command over sight-reading.  Most play by ear.  And, as you've discovered, there are tons of tabs out there.  Learning some scales and arpeggio fingerings would help you shred.

dflee

« Reply #74 on: 3 Jan 2013, 01:24 pm »
Hey Jim. Iv'e got a 74 D35 and have noticed it to sound a little drab
compared to upper end models. What strings would you recommend (light Ga) and
I'm thinking about installing a pickup. Can you give me a couple of names
you like? I've also been a fan of the Nighthawk. Any comments on them?
An accuantance of mine plays a 61 LesPaul and man does that one look different.

Don

jackman

« Reply #75 on: 3 Jan 2013, 02:16 pm »
You'll be fine over time....takes awhile to build up... :wink:  :guitar:

And don't forget to follow .....the dots.... :lol:

Holy smokes!  David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler with hair!  Gary Moore playing a Heritage and Lemme on bass!  Amazing.   No Clapton and Beck? 

medium jim

« Reply #76 on: 3 Jan 2013, 04:14 pm »
Hey Jim. Iv'e got a 74 D35 and have noticed it to sound a little drab
compared to upper end models. What strings would you recommend (light Ga) and
I'm thinking about installing a pickup. Can you give me a couple of names
you like? I've also been a fan of the Nighthawk. Any comments on them?
An accuantance of mine plays a 61 LesPaul and man does that one look different.

Don

Hi Don:

The Martin D35 is known for being a bit dark sounding due to the 3 piece back...try Martin SP Phospor/Bronze's they tend to be on the bright side and go with 12-54's.   Martin factory installs Fishman pickups that are a under the saddle tranducer that seems to work just fine....BTW, the D35 is an upper end model, although the D-18 and D-28 are more desirable due to their tone.  The D45 is the flagship for all practical purposes...there are higher models, but are intended for show and not to actually play.

The Gibson Nighthawk is a different take on the Les Paul and has a smaller body, there is also the blueshawk if I recall correctly.  The 61 Les Paul is actually the start of the SG and it was designed for Mary Ford who needed a lighter guitar, Les Paul hated it and after 1962 no longer carried his moniker and formally became the SG....nor until 1968 did a Gibson guitar (or for that matter any company) have a Les Paul Model, when Gibson reintroduced the Les Paul, but with P-90's.  In 1972 you could order them with real humbuckers again...

Jim

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #77 on: 3 Jan 2013, 04:31 pm »
This is my Taylor 914c (pre-NT neck):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCVBq4Ilcec

This is my classical, light as air and possibly built by Vicente Carrillo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngmrvNjLFAI

Sorry about all the fumbling...I can't find those little dots anywhere. :)

~Greg

medium jim

« Reply #78 on: 3 Jan 2013, 05:36 pm »
This is my Taylor 914c (pre-NT neck):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCVBq4Ilcec

This is my classical, light as air and possibly built by Vicente Carrillo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngmrvNjLFAI

Sorry about all the fumbling...I can't find those little dots anywhere. :)

~Greg

What are you talking about, your playing is most excellent and you have the balls to put it on the internet, more than I can say for myself.  The Carillo Classical sounds very sweet indeed.

Jim

Rclark

« Reply #79 on: 3 Jan 2013, 05:44 pm »
Don't beat yourself up too much about theory and notation.  Outside of the classical and jazz world very few guitarists have a command over sight-reading.  Most play by ear.  And, as you've discovered, there are tons of tabs out there.  Learning some scales and arpeggio fingerings would help you shred.

I want to be able to write, I have riffs in my head that I'd love to be able to play. Plus I write stories, and I like what that guy in the video said, that theory is the language of music and if you wanna write you have to know the grammar, you'll do better than someone who only knows how to speak a little.

Not gonna beat myself with it, but take it hand in hand with getting my chops.