Just ordered a Piccolo, my first DIY project.....

JimK

Just ordered a Piccolo, my first DIY project.....
« on: 13 Oct 2009, 06:52 pm »
And I'm pretty excited!

Question: Any hints, tips, or things to avoid before I get started? Also, any known "upgrades" I should know about before I place an order for the parts? I'd hate to install something, only to learn I should have installed something else after the fact.

I also have a Weller WESD51 coming....but no solder yet.

Jim

analog97

Re: Just ordered a Piccolo, my first DIY project.....
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2009, 11:55 pm »
Jim,

I don't know your experience.  If a first-timer, I suggest practicing a few solder joints first.  If you are OK with soldering, just make sure you get the correct resistors placed before soldering.  Follow the instructions to a "T" and you will be golden.  I built mine stock and it is dead quiet.  Others on this board have used more exotic, hence expensive parts, especially the Black gate capacitors.  Those specialty options also require a few mods, so, again depending on your experience, make a solid judgement before "the plunge".  The PICCOLO is an excellent product.  Good luck.

JimK

« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2009, 01:47 pm »
Thanks for the response!

And I may have misstated, or misrepresented, my intentions earlier. I guess what I'm really interested in is advice on what not do, and to learn from other people's mistakes so that I don't make the same. Sure, I may get some advice from "tubesforever" regarding substituting this or that resistor or cap, but since this will be my first project I'm not looking at reinventing the wheel!  :wink:

"Slow and easy", that's going to be my motto.

And my plan on soldering is to grab an old PC board out of something/anything and "play" with it a little before ever touching the Piccolo board.

Jim

JimK

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2009, 08:46 pm »
Kit just arrived, and my first thought was, "Oh my God! All the small printing..."

But seriously, I didn't expect the "tags" on the PC board- I thought they were labeled in the instructions "For Illustrative Purpose Only", and that's going to make things much easier for me.

Can't wait to get started!

Jim

MusicMtnMonkey

« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2009, 09:27 pm »
Good Luck!

It's good fun.  Been tied up for a year (and missing tinkering), but getting close to where I could get back to work on my Bugle, Power Supply, and CASTANET.

Share pictures  :D