Constant Current Source for Cornet.

Doc Jr 8156

« on: 10 Nov 2003, 08:24 pm »
Hello,

Can anyone please explain in lay man's term how to implement this upgrade.  I tried studying the schematic Jim provided in the tips page but no luck.  I' d like to know what extra parts are needed and where to connect them.  I'm sorry, I really am a DIY beginner.  Thanks for the help. : :notworthy:

GRD

« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2003, 02:22 am »
How far along are you in the construction of the Cornet?  You could install  the resistors and do the CCS upgrade later if you wanted.  When I bought the kit, I purchased the 30k 5W resistors along with the components for the current source (also from Mauser) so I could just plug in the resistor if installing the current source seemed too difficult.  Installing the hum fix will give you a taste of what the CCS will entail.  I'm also new to DIY and it was a bit tricky for me to do all of that soldering above the board.  I studied the CCS schematic and the pictures on this web site for a couple of days and played with the layout of the components.  I eventually decided to try the CCS, but I had the resistors as a back-up.    And I've gotten pretty good at de-soldering.

In the meantime, here's the parts list I ordered from Mauser except I used a different heatsink.  I think this is the heatsink others are using.  I also used thermal paste with the heatsink, which I think you can find at Radioshack.

Qty
2 - 511-MJE340  NPN FASTSW PW ST Power Bipolar Transistors (print out spec sheet on Mauser catalog for future reference)
4 - 281-1.0K  Xicon 1W 5% Small Metal Oxide Resistors
2 - 140-XRL16V100 16V 100uF 20% Xicon Radial Electrolytic Capacitors
2 - 532-577500B00  BLACK ANODIZE TO-126 Heatsink

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2003, 04:29 pm »
Thanks GRD.  I'm almost done with my Cornet.  I'm just waiting for my upgrade (Multicap) capacitors for C-6 and C-5.  I'll install feet for the chassis today and wire the jacks and that's it.  I'll order the parts for the upgrade today, however, could you please tell me how to do this. I can't really understand the schematic no matter how hard I tried.  Thanks again.

GRD

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2003, 06:17 pm »
Glad to help.  I've sent you an e-mail with further explanation.

Doc Jr 8156

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2003, 08:38 pm »
Many many thanks GRD.

Frank McCrea

Cornet CCS information
« Reply #5 on: 28 Dec 2003, 01:53 am »
Hello,

Could anyone tell me how to access the (tips page)  that has the CCS information.

Thanks, Frank

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 28 Dec 2003, 04:58 am »
Frank,

For some reason Jim doesn't seem to have it linked on his site. At least not that I saw. The URL is: http://www.hagtech.com/tips.html

Mike G.

hagtech

« Reply #7 on: 28 Dec 2003, 07:21 am »
Most of the information was moved to this post:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=2904

Hope this helps!

jh :)

Frank McCrea

« Reply #8 on: 28 Dec 2003, 06:38 pm »
Thanks Jim and Mike,