Valvet or First Watt

BarrelAged

Valvet or First Watt
« on: 28 Nov 2021, 06:37 pm »
Has anyone out there done a side by side comparison of the First Watt SIT 3 and the Vavlet E3?

thetakeout

Re: Valvet or First Watt
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2022, 10:02 pm »
I would love to know this also!

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2022, 10:14 pm »
Definitely depends on your speakers but member joeinid has had both.

Calling Mr. Joe. @tdinut
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2022, 04:18 am by Tomy2Tone »

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2022, 10:55 pm »
If you can DIY or have a tech guy there is the MoFo, also Single Ended Mosfet Follower with notebook supply.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=179626.0

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2022, 03:55 am »
The SIT 3 is truly a special amp IF you have the right speakers to pair with it. The Valvet seems more versatile in that regard (based on output specs).

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #5 on: 3 Aug 2022, 06:25 pm »
SIT-3 is a special amplifier.  I have not heard the other, but it is also SE SS. 18w vrs 12 (not much difference).

Which amplifer has the lowest Rout is probably the more verstaile one.

But it looks like you can actually buy a Valvet, you would have to pry a SIT-3 from someone’s system.

But i might sell mine (a PASS VFET sitting in the wings, even more exotic).

dave

Aercool

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2022, 01:46 pm »
I can confirm that the SIT-3 is a special amplifier.  It took a while for me to find the right one, and in the interim I was using a FW F-8.  It's pretty special too, but just in different ways.  I'd say it had a little more punch and power, but didn't box your ears with it.  I took a single-ended 300B based amp off line when tubes were getting hard to find back in the winter, and haven't looked back.  The 300B was glorious, but the First Watt amps control my speakers better and I don't miss a much with the SIT-3.  I am turning my pre up a bit more with the SIT-3, but not maxing it out.  Valvet amps were always a consideration, but never found one to buy when I was looking.  Would still like to try one.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 17 Oct 2022, 04:46 pm »
The general prob with FW amps are they are expensives, SIT amps build by Nelson sells at $4,000 for the power amp alone no pre-amp, per chance if you had listen the Michael Rothacher MoFo amp kit do you could compare both?
Thanks
https://diyaudiostore.com/products/mofo?variant=5111698849826
« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2022, 10:47 am by FullRangeMan »