300B SET for NX speakers

Jaytor

Re: 300B SET for NX speakers
« Reply #20 on: 28 Nov 2021, 04:53 am »
Thanks folks

What's your opinion on the building instructions manual and customer support with ANK? Hopefully they're a tad better than IKEA, with assembly instructions.  :lol:

To be honest, I didn't really look at the instruction manual that much. Since I made so many changes to the base design, and rearranged the position of many components, I primarily went off the schematic. But on the couple of occasions I needed clarification on something, I had no problem finding the answer in the manual.

I think if you were building the kit exactly as designed, you'd find the manual to be very good. Their manuals are available online on ANK's website so you can get an idea of how well done they are.

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 28 Nov 2021, 04:59 am »
That's the most beautiful amp I've ever seen. 

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #22 on: 28 Nov 2021, 01:32 pm »
Jay,

Great work. Actually what is most inspiring for me is the mechanical construction using FPE. The electrical changes you made (at least imho) are totally necessary to bring this amp into a more “modern” sound!

I’ve looked at the instruction manuals, and he definitely does a lot of hand holding throughout. Since the amp is so simple, all you really need is the schematic to connect the dots. Full 90% of this amp (like most tube designs) is power supply and supportive circuits. The only problem I see with ANK I see is one thing: $$$$$

Like I said in the other thread, these are $20K retail amps!

Hopefully all looks good on your scope tests…

Best,
Anand.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #23 on: 28 Nov 2021, 04:41 pm »

Danny had some old Dodd amps that looked pretty nice.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_4/show-report-rmaf-2007-page-06.html

Jaytor

« Reply #24 on: 28 Nov 2021, 05:19 pm »
Thanks!

Jay,

Great work. Actually what is most inspiring for me is the mechanical construction using FPE. The electrical changes you made (at least imho) are totally necessary to bring this amp into a more “modern” sound!

I’ve looked at the instruction manuals, and he definitely does a lot of hand holding throughout. Since the amp is so simple, all you really need is the schematic to connect the dots. Full 90% of this amp (like most tube designs) is power supply and supportive circuits. The only problem I see with ANK I see is one thing: $$$$$

Like I said in the other thread, these are $20K retail amps!

Hopefully all looks good on your scope tests…

Best,
Anand.

Thanks. There's no question that the ANK kits are pricey. Fortunately, Brian gave me a nice discount because he was putting together the same kit for another customer at the same time. He also gave me an additional discount because I didn't want the chassis.

I will say that I've been pretty impressed with the quality of components that are included in the kit (parts like the tube sockets, binding posts, RCA inputs, caps and resistors, wire, etc., are all top quality). I'm sure I could have saved a fair amount by sourcing all the parts myself, particularly since I didn't use all of them, but since this was my first tube project, I don't regret buying the kit. But then I'm not on a tight budget.

Having learned a fair amount doing this amp, I will almost certainly source the components individually for my next build. Not sure when that will be, but I'm sure there will be another one.  :)

I'm very happy with the way the enclosure came together and I'm glad I made the decision to go this route (I could have never fit all the extra circuitry in the kit enclosure), but it certainly adds to the cost. All the panels for the two enclosures cost as much as the ANK kit!  :icon_surprised:

The output looks very clean on my scope, but I don't yet have the gear to measure distortion (at least not easily). I'm waiting for the QuantAsylum QA402 to be back in stock.

Once I get the second amp complete, it will be time for some tube shopping. I see a set of Takatsuki 300Bs in my future.  :D

Those are pretty impressive!

Chewbacca

« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2021, 09:07 pm »

I brought up those Big Blues to Danny on the phone with him this past summer, and apparently he still as them. They're just tucked away somewhere... Kinda sad they're not being used.

Oh, and Jaytor, these 300b's are possibly the most ridiculous amps I have ever seen! At least for DIY, no doubt! I can't even put into words how impressive this is! :thumb:

subsonic1050

« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2021, 09:50 pm »
Jaytor - consider me thoroughly impressed.

Jaytor

« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2021, 10:07 pm »
Thanks guys. The one amp is sounding pretty sweat on my Revel F30 in my workshop. I can't wait to get the second one built so I can try them out on my NX-Oticas. Hopefully before the end of Dec.

Rock Ball

« Reply #28 on: 1 Dec 2021, 03:52 pm »
I am posting a build thread on the Steve Hoffman forum for anyone that is interested.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ank-300b-interstage-monoblocks.1112018/

That thread is really great.  It takes an enormous amount of time to put together detailed posts like yours.  Thanks for sharing all your knowledge, experiences, and great photos with us. 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2021, 04:07 pm »
If you ever decide to sell them, I would be very interested in buying them :D

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2021, 05:43 pm »
More important often than the sensitivity, with a (typically) highish Rout for an SE amplifier one is typically looking for a flat impedances curve, as this interacts with the highish Rout.

I could only find curves for the NX-Treme. Not particualrily pretty.

dave

Jaytor

« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2021, 06:35 pm »
That thread is really great.  It takes an enormous amount of time to put together detailed posts like yours.  Thanks for sharing all your knowledge, experiences, and great photos with us.

Thanks Rock Ball.

If you ever decide to sell them, I would be very interested in buying them :D

I'll keep that in mind.  :lol: Hopefully I'll never sell them since I'd end up taking a bath.

More important often than the sensitivity, with a (typically) highish Rout for an SE amplifier one is typically looking for a flat impedances curve, as this interacts with the highish Rout.

I could only find curves for the NX-Treme. Not particualrily pretty.

I'm really building these to use with my Line Forces once they are done. The impedance curve is more friendly. The below from Danny.

But even the NX-Otica/NX-Tremes have fairly easy impedance curves - only dropping down to 5-6 ohms. And since they are used with active subs to cover the bottom octave or two, I don't see this as a problem for a SET amp.

RonP

« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2021, 11:06 pm »
I'm just wating for Jaytor to go into business. He'll soon have a waiting list like Decware!  :icon_twisted:

Early B.

« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2021, 11:52 pm »
I'm just wating for Jaytor to go into business. He'll soon have a waiting list like Decware!  :icon_twisted:

Well, only the filthy rich need apply. You're looking at $15K in parts alone. Typically, parts cost is 10% of the retail price.   

Jaytor

« Reply #34 on: 2 Dec 2021, 12:58 am »

That would take all the fun out of it.  :) I even get a little bored building the second of a pair. I get the most satisfaction from trying new designs for each project.

Well, only the filthy rich need apply. You're looking at $15K in parts alone. Typically, parts cost is 10% of the retail price.   

Not quite that bad, at least with the modestly priced tubes that came with the ANK kit. But I agree that this project, (and my recent preamp) aren't exactly budget builds.

Of course, if you wanted to build these in volume, I'm sure it would be possible to source the parts that I used from the ANK kit for considerably less than I paid (even though I got a nice discount off the regular kit price), and get the machining done for a lot less than Front Panel Express charges for one-off pieces.

Jaytor

« Reply #35 on: 13 Dec 2021, 06:18 pm »
I finished the second amp this weekend. When I first hooked it up, I wasn't getting any sound despite all the voltages looking fine. After checking everything over, I finally started swapping tubes and discovered the 6SH7 driver tube was bad. Fortunately, I had a small stash of these I bought a couple months back from someone on etsy since they were pretty cheap. So I was able to get both channels working. I've asked ANK to send me a replacement since I think the NOS Raytheon tubes included with the kit are a bit better.

I'm going to burn them in for the rest of the week in my hobby room/workshop and try hooking them up to my NX-Oticas this weekend.

I'm also planning to order a set of nice 300Bs. I was leaning toward the Takatsukis, but I think I'm going to go for the new Western Electric tubes. It's easier to get a matched quad and the five year warranty is reassuring. And the various reviews I've read seem to regard both these tubes at about the same quality level. The WE tubes are also made in the US, which is definitely a plus.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #36 on: 13 Dec 2021, 06:56 pm »
Very nice 👍👍

mkrawcz

« Reply #37 on: 13 Dec 2021, 07:01 pm »
I’m planning on getting the WE Tubes myself. The 5 year warranty is pretty amazing and make it worth it.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #38 on: 14 Dec 2021, 12:30 am »
Jay I have always hated you and your talent but now  (in my best grinch impression) I LOATHE ENTIRELY!

https://youtu.be/86jbnMOAcy0

Fantastic job and thanks for taking the time to do the build log. Much respect!

tom739

« Reply #39 on: 14 Dec 2021, 03:35 pm »
Wow, the new WE 300B tubes are pricey! $1500 per matched pair. I will be curious to hear your feedback if you get them. Especially if you can compare to other highend 300Bs like Linlia or Psvane. It is cool that WE is making these again here in US.