How important is Power Regenerator (AC-DC-AC)?

Photon46

Re: How important is Power Regenerator (AC-DC-AC)?
« Reply #20 on: 1 Nov 2021, 10:51 am »
In my system it is quite obvious that different power cords from wall to the PSA Stellar P3 regenerator sound different. One might think that because the wall ac is regenerated a different power cord shouldn't have any affect but listening tells me otherwise. While I haven't heard the AudioQuest power cables that PSA sells now I have heard WireWorld, Mojo Audio, PS Audio AC12, Virtual Dynamics, and Furutech power cords with the Stellar P3 and they all sound different. What's "better" depends on the rest of the system and your preferences but they all have attributes that improve on the inexpensive cord provided with the P3. Even applying Mad Scientist contact enhancer to the blades of the AC plugs changes the sound of the cable being used.

RDavidson

« Reply #21 on: 1 Nov 2021, 03:16 pm »
Correct. It's because the transformer in the P3 isn't very big, so the power coming out of the unit isn't entirely isolated from the power from the wall. That's part of the reason PS Audio makes larger models.

qdrone

« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2022, 06:54 pm »
The very first power conditioner on the market for audio use,The Tice Power Block did the AC>DC>AC filtering and if your patient can be had for a grand which would come with The Titan Storage block which holds 1850 watts of purified electricity. I heard immediate benefits upon putting in my system, deeper tighter bass,the music hologram expanded higher above my speakers. For the price it's a no brainer.
In the day the pair went for 2500.00 but you can find them used these days. I do not reccomend buying them and having them shipped because the rubber grommets that the transformers are attached to dry up. and break when shipped. You can replace the grommets by taking them out and going to a motor cycle shop to match and replace. All you need is a socket set to open unit.
George Tice was the grandfather of AC line conditioning and regeneration.  The Tice PowerBlock uses a very large isolation transformer engineered to smooth incoming current and absorb and spikes and noise in hi-end audio systems.   Using a unique feed forward / backwards design, natural power issues are equalized out.  What you no longer hear is a layer of glare, grain and a veil of noisy grit and constriction of dynamics.  All of those things that affect music negatively, simply erased. 

The system also employs two 3/3 uf polypropylene capacitors to correct for out-of-phase current use.

The included Titan Energy Storage System is an upgrade to the Power Block.  When plugged into the rear of the Power Block it forms a transient AC energy storage and conditioning system. By suspending energy in a 2nd huge, laminate core, transformer it generates a reverse electromotive force that supplies instantaneous power to the PowerBlock.  Not only does it improve filtering and lower the noise floor even more, it will bump full current delivery to to 20 Amps.

qdrone

« Reply #23 on: 17 Apr 2023, 05:10 pm »
I use the one that started it all, the Tice Power Block / Titan Combo. With just The Power Block the bass tightened,noise floor diminished and was happy with the 150 investment
I then found a  Tice Titan Power storage and it took everything to a whole new level. I now own 3 Power Blocks and 2 Titans and I kick myself for not buying both Titans when I bought my first one.
I have 1 Power Block for parts but 35+ years on they keep humming along. Regenerator? I thought they were called Power Conditioners. $1,100 investment for everything,couldn't be happier.