Amplification ideas to GR-Research NX-Studio

JonathanWalton7

Re: Amplification ideas to GR-Research NX-Studio
« Reply #60 on: 1 Oct 2020, 04:58 pm »
Hello all.  This noob is a musician working from his home studio and I'm in need of monitors for mixing/mastering.  I plan on buying the NX studios for this purpose as soon as I'm finished building my custom PC.  I'm not the biggest audiophile or diy-er.  But I do need good sound quality in my set up.  Not perfect but certainly of "hifi grade" if possible.

Haven't read this entire thread yet but was wondering if a combination of 2 or possibly 3 Crown XLS gen 2 amps might be able to supply clean power to the L/R studio monitors and a servo subwoofer?  My audio interface, the Motu M4, has L/R balanced xlr stereo outs.  I'm not sure how I'd get the LFE channel out from my audio interface.  I know the crowns allow for eq tweaks and splits and mono setups etc.  maybe the solution lies in their settings.  But this is just an idea with my very facile understanding of audio gear. 

Would this be feasible to carry the entire spectrum of sound successfully from my computer to the studios/servo sub?  My only other minor concern is that apparently the crown dacs downsample to 24 bits.  But they're still quality Ice power class d amps.  Each can be bought under 250$ usually.  And obviously no assembly.  (Though I am still VERY tempted to build archimagos diy hypex dual monoblock amp). 

Other amps I've considered are those with balanced inputs made by Rotel, Teac, Cambridge, and SPL.  Any other suggestions or ideas on how I might be able to get my setup running adequately would be so appreciated.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #61 on: 1 Oct 2020, 05:13 pm »
Hello all.  This noob is a musician working from his home studio and I'm in need of monitors for mixing/mastering.  I'm not the biggest audiophile or diy-er.  But I do appreciate sound quality and integrity.  I plan on buying the NX studios soon.

Haven't read this entire thread yet but was wondering if a combination of 2 or possibly 3 crown xls gen 2 amps would adequately supply clean power to the L/R studio monitors and a servo subwoofer?  (Though I'm not sure how I'd get 3 channels out from my audio interface.  But this is just an idea with my very facile understanding of audio gear.  Would this idea work?  I know someone once said that they do resample the signal internally (I suppose that's due to their onboard dacs).  But they're still quality Ice power class d amps I've heard.  Each can be bought under 250$ usually.  And obviously no assembly.  (Though I am still tempted to build archimagos amp).  Any suggestions would be awesome.

I don't know anything about the Crown amps but the GR/Rythmik servo sub drivers have to be paired with a Rythmik servo amp. Amp and driver(s) are an integrated system.

RonP

« Reply #62 on: 1 Oct 2020, 05:33 pm »
I don't know anything about the Crown amps

Only thing I know about them is from a friend YEARS back. He played in a band. I got the impression 'loud' was their thing. Not 'finesse'.
Guitar Center has a "Crown XLS1502 2-Channel 525W Power Amplifier with Onboard DSP" for $440 as a point of reference.

Take that with a grain of salt. I have no first hand experience. But I think they are geared towards PA type concert systems.

Hope that helps to keep this in mind.

ps. I have a Rotel PRE amp that set me back around $750 used and it's pretty decent for the money. I would expect their amps to be on par. It all depends on your needs and budget.

maty