'Tis the Season- For Chili!

Dokter_doug

Probably old hat, but funny nevertheless
« Reply #60 on: 27 Mar 2005, 04:49 pm »
A Texas Chili Contest -

Note: For those of you who have lived in Texas, you know how true this is. (I was crying by the end.)

They actually have a Chili Cook-off about the time Halloween comes around. It takes up a major portion of a parking lot at the San Antonio city park.

The notes are from an inexperienced Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting from Springfield, IL.

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a chili cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment . And I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted".

Here are the scorecards from the event: (Frank is Judge #3)

Chili # 1 Eddie's Maniac Monster Chili...

Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.

Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.

Judge # 3 (Frank) Holy Moly what the hell is in this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are crazy!

Chili # 2 Austin's Afterburner Chili...

Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face. These hicks are out of their minds.

Chili # 3 Ronny's Famous Burn Down the Barn Chili...

Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick. Needs more beans.

Judge # 2 -- A bean less chili, a bit salty, good use of peppers.

Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting frog-faced from all of the beer...

Chili # 4 Dave's Black Magic...

Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili..

Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-lb woman is starting to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is chili an aphrodisiac?

Chili # 5 Lisa's Legal Lip Remover...

Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

Judge # 2 --Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm burning my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.

Chili # 6 Pam's Very Vegetarian Variety...

Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spices and peppers.

Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb.

Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. I messed myself when I farted and I'm worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Sally. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my butt with a snow cone.

Chili # 7 Carla's Screaming Sensation Chili...

Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should take note that I am worried about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably.

Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.

Chili # 8 Karen's Toenail Curling Chili...

Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.

Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor fella, wonder how he'd have reacted to really hot chili?

Dok

warnerwh

« Reply #61 on: 27 Mar 2005, 08:25 pm »
That's a good one!

rosconey

« Reply #62 on: 27 Mar 2005, 10:52 pm »
its so easy to make super hot chili type food(i refuse to call fire food chili)
flavor and texture are what real chili is about-hell any one can over heat it -it takes a master to get the perfect blend-

Gordy

« Reply #63 on: 19 Apr 2005, 02:56 pm »
Hey All,

Thought there might be some interest in this site I just read about/found...
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=home

Enjoy!
Gordy

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #64 on: 19 Apr 2005, 03:59 pm »
Well this is not Chili per se, but related in that hot pepper is the main incrediant.  I fell in love with this stuff in Portugal and Africa and it's called piri piri sauce.  http://www.portcult.com/Portugal.48_piri.htm  I been making a batch here and there free lancing with variety of peppers.  It should take it's rightfull place in the pantheon of hot sauces as it offers delicious hotness that is not vinegar based, laced with sugar nor is it an oilly extract.  It is very useful in BBQing meats.

jermmd

« Reply #65 on: 13 Nov 2005, 02:59 pm »
Last night I made chili from the recipe in Best Recipes from the editors of Cooks Illustrated and it was really good. This may be the same recipe as recommended earlier from America's test kitchen. The chili was different from my usual recipe in that it used chunks of meat rather than ground, it had bacon, and no beans. My usual chili, and always a pleaser, is chili made from the official Wendy's restaurant recipe-minus the human finger. :wink:

My wife liked last nights chili but thought of it more as a stew because she is used to my other chili (which is more of a thick and chunky soup). The Best Recipe chili is spicey and highly recommended. Over this winter, I plan on trying all the recipes recommended here. I was going to make Rob's chili but I need to have a party for that much food.

Andrikos

« Reply #66 on: 15 Nov 2005, 05:43 pm »
Quote from: jermmd
I was going to make Rob's chili but I need to have a party for that much food.

Exactly!
I made it last year (well last February) for my superbowl party and served it with awesome homemade crusty bread and it was awesome!
People were going back for thirds and fourths.
Thank YOU Rob! You rule! :D

JohnnyLightOn

« Reply #67 on: 15 Nov 2005, 05:50 pm »
jermmd, was this the Best Recipe chili where you roast (toast?) the dried chili peppers before grinding them?  I made this and must have roasted them for too long, because the chili tasted burnt.  I added some suger to compensate, which solved the problem but muted some of the complex flavors.  Even so, it was fantastic chili, worth every bit of $$$ and effort.  I will make it again this winter but roast the peppers for less time than the recipe calls for.

jermmd

« Reply #68 on: 15 Nov 2005, 07:27 pm »
Quote from: JohnnyLightOn
jermmd, was this the Best Recipe chili where you roast (toast?) the dried chili peppers before grinding them?  I made this and must have roasted them for too long, because the chili tasted burnt.  I added some suger to compensate, which solved the problem but muted some of the complex flavors.  Even so, it was fantastic chili, worth every bit of $$$ and effort.  I will make it again this winter but roast the peppers for less time than the recipe calls for.

That is the recipe but I couldn't find any dried chili peppers so I just used chili powder. It was still good but definitely would have been better with home made chili powder. Next time.

rosconey

« Reply #69 on: 19 Nov 2005, 04:11 pm »
todays version-i am calling it -good orange mojo chili-because the orangemen play notre lame today and as bad as su has been this year the team needs all the help it can get-and it sounds better than another national tv blowout for the orangmen chili :cry:

1lb 90% lean hamburger
2 cans-bush's chili beans,medium
1can-potato's diced
i can-corn
i jar-ragu,sweet itallian sausauge& cheese
1 pack-McCORMICK-original chili seasoning mix
2 sausage patties(broken up)
1 small onion,diced
2 small cloves garlic,pressed

and the mojo of all mojo's  

1 large ORANGE bell pepper-chopped into big pieces(not a green pepper because of the irish thingy even though im part irish)

brown all the meat
add everything into a crock pot  and leave alone till game time

warning-chili is always better the next day-but i didnt have time  :evil: yesterday