Coffee Beans

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
Coffee Beans
« on: 28 Oct 2004, 12:25 am »
Quote from: beat

Doh!,
see what happens when I try to post inbetween roasting batches of coffee at work? Focus, Beat...Focus!! One thing at a time...and now it's Coffee!! if it isn't one vice screwing me up its another! :lol:  :lol: Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone guys!

Did you say Roasting Coffee? I just roasted some Hawaiian Kona -Purple Mountain Farm 2004 last night.

What kind of a roaster do you have?

beat

Coffee Beans
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2004, 01:56 am »
Hey Jqp,
That sounds like a nice bean. I have a really nice Kauai that I roast/brew lately. I use a diedrich ir7. I was never much of a Hawaii fan until lately...mostly due to overinflated pricing, but I love it when the price is right. There is so much out there that is great for less money. I am getting a great deal on this Kauai, though. It has a little bit of that south pacific Sulawesi thing going on with the smoothness of a Kona. What are you roasting in? How do you like the purple mount?

jqp

• Volunteer
Coffee Beans
« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:46 am »
I usually get 2 lbs of Hawaiian at a time, and I get 5 lbs of Ethiopian Yirg Both are about half of what I would pay roasted and they will of course always be fresh roasted...I have also tried Coasta Rican, Yemmeni, Sumatra, Peuto Rican Yauco, and several others.

This time I also got Jamaican Blue Mountain i think for 16/lb. The Yirg is a steal for 5/lb.

The Hawaiian is excellent and can take a real variety of roasts.

I use the little Melita Aroma Roast that was discontinued in I believe 1986? It is like an air popcorn popper, and roasts just enough for one pot. I found 4 of them at Value City for $8 each to keep a supply of parts. They each actually had a small bag of 14-year old beans in the box!  Not a perfect roaster, but it can do a City+ roast. 90% of the time I roast the Yirgachaffee to just the middle of second crack, so it does fine for me. Looking for another roaster though.

I get my beans from sweetmarias.com how about you?

beat

Coffee Beans
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2004, 03:29 pm »
Those are all great coffees. The alpenrost is supposed to be nice because it cooks by convection and conduction instead of like a fluid bed (air) roaster. You can control your humidity in the drum this way. I buy from atlas and royal.  FYI, yirgee is going for a buck fifty five in the wholesale world..add maybe 8 cents a pound for shipping. I can hook you up if you ever wanna.  :mrgreen: I generally stock, yemen sanani, costa rica tarrazu, sulawesi, Kauai, and this cool aged (actually monsooned) indian malabar, a really nice organic mexico...and brazil..but it is not noteworthy. I only carry it as a base for the espresso blend.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Coffee Beans
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2004, 03:53 pm »
Interesting thread...from needle damage to coffee beans. :lol:
    But I enjoy a good cup of coffee, question...how long does it take to roast coffee beans ? Thanks !! :)  [/list:u]

doug s.

• makin' music
Coffee Beans
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:08 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
    But I enjoy a good cup of coffee, question...how long does it take to roast coffee beans ? Thanks !! :)  [/list:u]

don't drink too much coffee while listening to winyl; yure sure to ruin a stylus w/all that nervous energy...   :wink:

doug s., likes sumatra, guatemela antigua, andes...

lonewolfny42

Coffee Beans
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:20 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
Quote from: lonewolfny42

don't drink too much coffee while listening to winyl; yure sure to ruin a stylus w/all that nervous energy...   :wink:

doug s., likes sumatra, guatemela antigua, andes...
Who's nervous...I'm playing cd's..... :jester:

beat

Coffee Beans
« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:22 pm »
Lonewolf,
its all about addiction getting in the way of stuff...so, on some level really, we still are kinda on topic! Like Doug just said!

Doug, if you like sumatra you'd like this sulawesi. Same area of the world so there are some similarities but a little more refined. Kind of a cross between sumatra and hawaii. A "proper" roast takes around 16 minutes or less. Depends on what your after.

lonewolfny42

Coffee Beans
« Reply #8 on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:24 pm »
Thank you beat for the answer....less time than I thought ! :)

beat

Coffee Beans
« Reply #9 on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:34 pm »
Obviously I'm not roasing right now!! I'm actually chillin in the office/ green bean storage doing my impression of the Count...Count de moneye :mrgreen: $$$

doug s.

• makin' music
Coffee Beans
« Reply #10 on: 28 Oct 2004, 04:43 pm »
Quote from: beat
Lonewolf,
its all about addiction getting in the way of stuff...so, on some level really, we still are kinda on topic! Like Doug just said!

Doug, if you like sumatra you'd like this sulawesi. Same area of the world so there are some similarities but a little more refined. Kind of a cross between sumatra and hawaii. A "proper" roast takes around 16 minutes or less. Depends on what your after.

beat, thanks for the tip.  i never really liked kona or jamaican blue mountain - too sweet.  and, what about that ethiopian yirg?  i am always up for bargains!  any other tips?   :)

regards,

doug s.

beat

Coffee Beans
« Reply #11 on: 28 Oct 2004, 05:05 pm »
Actually Doug,
All the coffees I have (highest grades) are under 2 bucks with the exception of the yemen mocca sanani and the kauai. those are about 3.30. The ethiopia is always tasty whether its the sidamo, or yirgacheffe, organic harrar is at 2.20 they are all kinda wild and somewhat fruity...ever had kenya AA? Sort of a cross between that and the yemen mocca in general. You can sometimes get an ethiopian mocca also. All are great.

djbnh

Coffee Beans
« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2004, 08:23 pm »
It's been great reading all the coffee posts. Glad to hear the demise of the YUPPIE has been greatly exaggerated!  :flame:  :mrgreen:

jqp

• Volunteer
Coffee Beans
« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2004, 02:54 am »
I guess anyone on this forum would be considered a yuppie since we have this high-priced hobby...

Glad to hear the demise of the HYPOCRITE has been greatly exaggerated!

djbnh

Coffee Beans
« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2004, 11:07 am »
Quote from: jqp
I guess anyone on this forum would be considered a yuppie since we have this high-priced hobby...

Glad to hear the demise of the HYPOCRITE has been greatly exaggerated!

I guess you have 2 high priced hobbies, jqp! Don't burn your beans!

:flame:  :mrgreen:

Hey, how long do I have to hold this flame thrower until that smiling green coffee bean is perfectly roasted? Do you recommend natural gas, LPG, electric, an open fire, or solar-powered heat for the perfect roast, or is their no perceptible difference in flavor? Should my roasting equipment be gold-over-copper, or pure silver? What gauge electrical wire should I use if I use an electric oven to roast my beans, and should the cord be cryoed? What's the optimum degree of toe-in for my oven, or should I let the taste buds decide? Should I use a power conditioner for the oven? When cleaning the related equipment, do you recommend The Bean Doctor's brushes and solutions, or can I do a home-made mix of one gallon triple-distilled water, two drops of isoproply alcohol, and 10 drops dish detergent?

Andrikos

Coffee Beans
« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2004, 10:03 pm »
Am I reading this right?
Do we have amongst us a wholesale coffee bean distributor who will give his fellow AC buddies sweet deals?  :D

If so, would you supply us with a list please? Please feel free to make some money (not too much though) on it too... :)

PS Am I a SUPER wimp if I can't drink black coffee? I'm a cream and sugar type-o-guy... :D
I wonder how the other fellow ACers take their coffee...

Lost81

Coffee Beans
« Reply #16 on: 30 Oct 2004, 12:12 am »
Quote from: Andrikos
I wonder how the other fellow ACers take their coffee...

thick (if you scoop up a teaspoonful, and you can see the bottom of the spoon, it's too diluted), black, no sugar or sweetener, no milk...

-Lost81

Tonto Yoder

Coffee Beans
« Reply #17 on: 30 Oct 2004, 12:56 am »
Quote from: Andrikos
PS Am I a SUPER wimp if I can't drink black coffee? I'm a cream and sugar type-o-guy... :D

yes.

HarleyMYK

Coffee Beans
« Reply #18 on: 30 Oct 2004, 12:58 am »
Boy, and all this time I thought beat's avatar was an old Ducati engine, when it is actually a kick started, two barrel coffee roaster!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Coffee Beans
« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2004, 12:59 am »
I only drink tea. :oops:   If I've gotta gag down a cup o' coffee, I need some major cream & sugar. :lol: