NCore based amps

talk2me

NCore based amps
« on: 23 Dec 2012, 11:25 pm »
I have just read about all the buzz concerning Hypex NCore based amps. I am a firm believer in linear power supply, so I look forward to those companies who are using NCore with their own power supply design. Namely Theta Prometheus lloks very promising. I am very curious how this new tech. compares to class A or class A/B mega$$$$ amps.

JoshK

Re: NCore based amps
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2012, 11:59 pm »
One big miss of a linear PSU, is no regulation, which switching power supplies offer.   How do you get around that?   My tube amp has regulation and it blows aways most generic tube amps of similar design away. 

Rclark

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2012, 02:17 am »
The smps here is extremely advanced, designed hand in hand with the amp. Do a little more reading, you'll find the amps compare very well against ultra high dollar designs.

gstew

• Everything Matters!
« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2012, 05:08 am »
The smps here is extremely advanced, designed hand in hand with the amp. Do a little more reading, you'll find the amps compare very well against ultra high dollar designs.

One thing to clarify... the NCore SMPS is not regulated. But it does use synchronous rectification, which confers it some benefits over using a linear supply. I don't know enough on this to explain, see the monster NCore thread on DIYAudio for more info.

I AM curious whether a regulated SMPS would have benefits above the stock one. I'm particularly interested in the Audio Power ones out of Italy that are being used by many of the 'Wire' amplifier builders on DIYAudio. Those supplies were supposed to be improvements over competent, but not regulated linear supplies for that amp. But I'm sufficiently satisfied with my NC400/SMPS600 monoblocks to leave the stock SMPS there.

One aside... there was a very proud announcement of a super-tweak linear supply being built for the NC400 modules in the 'whatsbestforum' back in April. Never heard more about it there, but I vaguely remember some questions by the designer/builder in the monster DIYAudio NCore thread trying to resolve some issues with that setup. Never heard more about that and I don't remember reading about others trying linear supplies.... so AFAIK, that question is still outstanding.

Greg in Mississippi

Rclark

« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2012, 05:38 am »
I remember that guy. He posted a picture of his own personal amp design and was mocked ruthlessly by everyone. Nobody has been able to build a linear supply that has bested the smps yet. When it happens, it will be big news.

Rclark

« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2012, 06:09 am »
Another point to consider is that just like class d as an amp, smps may just be stepping forward as a superior PS.

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2012, 07:54 am »
I am a firm believer in linear power supply

The nice thing about technology is that it works whether you believe in it or not... :)

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2012, 10:13 am »
The nice thing about technology is that it works whether you believe in it or not... :)
+1

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2012, 09:17 pm »
One thing to clarify... the NCore SMPS is not regulated. But it does use synchronous rectification, which confers it some benefits over using a linear supply. I don't know enough on this to explain, see the monster NCore thread on DIYAudio for more info.

Then I stand corrected.   I thought switching PSUs were inherently self-regulated.