Adding a high end pre-amp to a sound processor.

steven2583

Adding a high end pre-amp to a sound processor.
« on: 22 Aug 2016, 06:29 pm »
If you use a high end pre-amp like an Ayre K-5xeMP and using theater pass through will it make the sound any better.  I played with rolling op-amps in my Anthem D2v and adding like an OP629 it made it sound better(richer, wider soundstage).  But adding a little hiss which bugged me.  So I removed them.  I created an cross over with the same op-amps and the hiss is now gone but the treble is a little harsh when I play music and turn it up loud.  I'm wondering if I should get a good pre-amp.

I know the gain is 0 DB is theater mode but I'm thinking the pre-amp is kind of functioning like the rolling of the op-amp as it interacts with the amp.

Opinions?

If I buy I pre-amp I plan on running a new DAC directly through the pre-amp but wondering if there is any improvement to any sound coming through the pre-amp from the sound processor.

Phil A

Re: Adding a high end pre-amp to a sound processor.
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2016, 08:31 pm »
I can't answer for your system but I use HT Bypass with a 2-channel preamp in the main and one back-up system (and have another preamp in another back-up system with HT Bypass but just using 2-channel for the moment).  I like the feature since it allows me to play back my non-HT sources like a 2-channel system.  I have not noticed any substantial negatives for HT.  When I use the main system the 2-channel preamp defaults to HT Bypass when off (Modwright LS 36.5 DM) so it is just the receiver looping through to the 2-channel amp for the front channels.

Phil A

Re: Adding a high end pre-amp to a sound processor.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2016, 08:31 pm »
PS - Welcome to AC!