New OPPO BDP-103 owner

NIGHTFALL1970

New OPPO BDP-103 owner
« on: 6 Aug 2016, 01:38 pm »
Just received my new OPPO BDP-103!  I wish I had purchased one of these years ago!  Quality is fantastic.  The build quality is like a tank.  The drawer is smooth.  I love the display and menus.  Picture quality is stunning!  I am so glad I finally bought one! :thumb:

Phil A

Re: New OPPO BDP-103 owner
« Reply #1 on: 6 Aug 2016, 02:28 pm »
Congrats - I have a bunch of Oppo players, including two 103Ds.  One is in the main system just for video and then I have one in a back-up HT for video and have hi-rez music files (including DSD and multi-channel DSD) on an attached hard drive (as well as my NAS) that I can play music from.  The Oppo (Media Control) App is free for either IOS or Android and lets you select the files from an attached hard drive and play them from your tablet or phone.

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #2 on: 7 Aug 2016, 04:59 am »
I am having trouble with my Oppo already.  CDs play through ok.  Most movies have no audio.  A bootleg copy of Journey to the unknown plays fine.  Criterion blu-ray of Rosemary's Baby plays fine.  No other DVDs or blu-rays have audio.  Not even my new bd of batman v superman.
What is going on?
Ps: the Oppo plays through my AVA dac and then to the speakers.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3 on: 7 Aug 2016, 09:28 am »
Make sure it has the latest firmware.
Check the audio out options too.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 7 Aug 2016, 01:27 pm »
This site may have some useful info:  http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html

srb

« Reply #5 on: 7 Aug 2016, 01:53 pm »
I am having trouble with my Oppo already.  CDs play through ok.  Most movies have no audio.
Ps: the Oppo plays through my AVA dac and then to the speakers.

You are sending S/PDIF output to a 2-channel DAC.  Sounds like you may have the Coaxial/Optical Output set to Bitstream (default) which will pass 5.1 formats that the DAC can't decode, and the few DVDs that did play were playing a 2-channel PCM track?

Check Setup Menu > Audio Format Setup > Coaxial/Optical Output and see if you need to change it from Bitstream to one of the LPCM settings.

Steve

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #6 on: 7 Aug 2016, 02:55 pm »
Thank you Bob2 Phil A and Srb!!!  Changing the audio out to 192k LPCM nailed it.
Now I get sound from everything! You guys rock!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Next question: firmware is bdp10x-77-0827.  Should I upgrade? I am nervous about doing it. Have you guys done it?

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 7 Aug 2016, 03:03 pm »
Thank you Bob2 Phil A and Srb!!!  Changing the audio out to 192k LPCM nailed it.
Now I get sound from everything! You guys rock!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Next question: firmware is bdp10x-77-0827 .  Should I upgrade? I am nervous about doing it. Have you guys done it?

When I use my players and am prompted for updates (there is a setting to turn this on or off), I update it.  There is an explanation at Oppo's site as to what the updates correct.  If it doesn't interest you and there is nothing critical you don't have to update it - https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-103/BDP103-firmware-77-0827.aspx

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 7 Aug 2016, 03:06 pm »
There is general info about firmware updates here - http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-103-faq.html#firmware

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #9 on: 7 Aug 2016, 03:13 pm »
Thanks Phil! :thumb:

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #10 on: 7 Aug 2016, 05:27 pm »
I just upgraded to the latest firmware. Everything is working fine!  Thanks all of you!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Fiddleronroof

« Reply #11 on: 2 Sep 2016, 03:20 am »
Good thing I read this post... For the last year and half since I bought the 103, playing DVD with audio through coax (video through HDMI) to DAC produced a loud hissing staticky sound... Looks like changing the setting should solve that problem...