what thickness, diameter, durometer Sorbothane pads for Bookshelf speakers ?

Super Hans

Hi all, I've decided to buy some Sorbothane pads (domed) for a pair of Pioneer BS22s. From what I have read people seem to recommend the 50 Durometer for stiffness. I'm not sure what thickness and diameter I want for speakers that weigh 9 lbs each. From what I've read there is a proper size and thickness depending on the weigh of the speakers. However, I cannot find anything that says what thickness and diameter are good for 9 lb Boookshelf Speakers.

I think I'm going to order these https://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisphere-Non-Skid-Adhesive-Durometer/dp/B003IMSIBA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470315778&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=sorbothane+pads+speakers+3%2F4

anyone have any thoughts on these pads for BS22 speakers ? Would 1/2 inch work better ? The speakers do not weigh much

Thanks

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
I've never experienced any benefit from any accessory, including footers.  Have tried a couple.  From my years as a structural engineer (that included a bit of vibrational analysis) the working concept is coupling the mass of the speaker to the support (higher the combined mass the lower the resonate frequency and it takes more energy to excite at lower frequencies).  To couple the speaker to the support you must match compliance of the footer with the mass of the object (in this case speaker).  In other words if the footer is too stiff for the imposed load vibrations won't be absorbed.  (99% of the footers I've seen are way too stiff to absorb the imposed vibrations.)  Spikes can only work in a horizontal direction and again if the speaker weighs enough for the spike to couple to the support.  Rollers decouple horizontally only (not sure why anyone would want that).

Blue Tak is the cheapest/easiest option if you want to try.  Walmart sells it as "Fun Tak" (about $1 in the office supplies).

Speedskater

• Kevin

Super Hans

thanks guys.  I didn't say earlier, these speakers go on some metal speaker stands.  Tops of the speaker stands are just flat metal. 
I see the Sorbothane catalog. Looks like if I use 4 pads for a 9 lb speaker, I'm going to want the pads rated 2-4 lbs each. I think it would be the 1" Diameter, 1/2" Height, 50 Durometer pads.

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
Sorbothane might work alright, but I'd go for a harder durometer as it can suck the life out of the music... blu tack just sounds bad, avoid. The best cheap option is probably Mortite, or rope caulk.

I'd strongly consider Herbie's Audio Lab products instead of Sorbothane or Mortite.

Wayner

I use 3M's 3/4" square by 1/4" high stick on feet. I don't want my speakers vibrating on my shelves and it keeps the shelves and speakers from getting scratched. It also helps keep them in place. I got mine from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Bumpon-SJ5023-Bumper-Spacer/dp/B002OTNGPQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470325357&sr=8-1&keywords=rubber+stick+on+feet

electricbear

I believe that speakers should be as solidly coupled to stands as possible. I've used  blutac / poster putty in this type of application for over 20 years

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
The best solution I've seen so far is IsoAcoustics stands, but more $ vs a few bucks for a package of Mortite or Herbie's products, and they take up some vertical space.

milford3

I use Sorbothane pads for my Hoyt Bedford Type 1's monitors (The Type 1's are almost a floor stander) with fantastic results.  As for the Isoacoustics, I have my two subs on them.  Great results with both products.

GerryD

I'd also recommend you check out Herbie's products.

Super Hans

thanks all, I found the spec guide on sorbothane website. I'm going to order hemispheres where 9 lbs is close to the middle of the rated load for 4 of them.

ssglx

I've tried the full range of materials and commercial products under my monitor speakers. All impact the sound tremendously. Sorbothane (Bright Star IsoNodes in my case) were on the extreme end of the range.

Lots of fun can be had experimenting and figuring out which coupling or decoupling material sounds best to you in your system.

I suggest trying the sorbothane material (maybe more than one durometer), but then contrast it with a soft but less energy absorbing material such as cork (available at Target for putting under plants and such, or furniture sliders/pads at Lowes).

I also did not particularly like the impact of Blue Tack on the sound of my speakers, but many others are quite satisfied with it. Kind of a universal audiophile product which blends coupling and decoupling effects.

Super Hans

thanks again for the replies.
Is there any benefit to using 3 hemispheres instead of 4 on each corner  ?

Also, I saw this on the Sorbothane website
"Place the hemisphere under the unit to be isolated with the curved surface up. Expect a 20 to 30% deflection when statically loaded.
Under loading will result in poor isolation. "

So reading that I'm thinking the Hemispheres should be attached to the tops of the speakers stands. Is that right ? Stick them to the tops of the speaker stands ? I have never used anything like these before, but I always thought these kinds of things were usually attached to the bottom of the speaker.

Super Hans

picked 10 rubber garden hose washers for $1.50 just to have something between the speakers and the stands.

Might not make much difference, but would you use 3 washers (2 in front, 1 back) so there is more weight on each washer, or 4 - 5 (one in the middle) to spread out the weight ?

srb

I'll have to add garden hose washers to the C&C audio toolbox (along with hockey pucks for stacked component spacers).

Why don't you try 3 on one speaker and 4/5 on the other and report back with a detailed analytical sound evaluation?  ;)

BTW, what is the durometer spec on garden hose washers?

Steve

Super Hans

using 3 washers. They are somewhat grippy rubber washers and the speakers feel fairly secure on top of the stands.

Danco 80787 Hose Washers, 10-Pack 
https://www.amazon.com/Danco-80787-Hose-Washers-10-Pack/dp/B000KKULOU

Doublej

I've tried the full range of materials and commercial products under my monitor speakers. All impact the sound tremendously. Sorbothane (Bright Star IsoNodes in my case) were on the extreme end of the range.

Lots of fun can be had experimenting and figuring out which coupling or decoupling material sounds best to you in your system.

I suggest trying the sorbothane material (maybe more than one durometer), but then contrast it with a soft but less energy absorbing material such as cork (available at Target for putting under plants and such, or furniture sliders/pads at Lowes).

I also did not particularly like the impact of Blue Tack on the sound of my speakers, but many others are quite satisfied with it. Kind of a universal audiophile product which blends coupling and decoupling effects.

Were the IsoNodes extremely positive or extremely negative?

ssglx

Neither. Extreme refers to the level of impact on the sonics. Lead fill in the stands was both exteme impact and very bad for instance. Isonodes were not bad at all.

Actually I experimented with them a few years ago. I kept notes, but I'd have to dig those out to get the specific impressions, but I remember generally. And YMMV depending on the quality and accuracy of your speakers. My Soliloquys resonate and are colored, but sound lovely with most material. 

On the Isonodes I recall being able to crank the speakers to very high levels without harshness, but I had to push them with more power to get the vibrancy of sound (and microdynamics) that I like. They cleaned up the midrange, but at the expense of substantial dynamics and mid-bass. They certainly made for an accurate sound, but without making the sound sterile like hard coupling and spiking can. I kept them in for awhile because it sounded good; just different.