Is Oppo 103 still best choice for video and use as cd transport?

schw06

My old 103 just died and I'm in the market for a blu ray player in a mixed audio/video room. It leans more heavily upon audio and my projector isn't 4k. I don't need tons of streaming or wifi capabilities but want a great picture and would really like it to be a nice transport. I'm not happy about spending $600 but will go up that high if necessary. At that price point does anything trump the Oppo or is anything it's equal at a lower price point? thanks in advance for the advice!
David

undertow

I am more curious on how did it exactly die?

In anycase there are cheaper alternatives for audio and video. Honestly I really like the current top Yamaha machine, it had burr brown dacs in it that were in my opinion slightly more musical than the Oppo 103. Video is probably very close.

It has most of the bells and whistles, including streaming for several services. However, the one downfall for me is that it does not support Yamahas own "Media Player" unless you have another Yamaha unit like one of their A/V Receivers.

Oppos Media Player was a must for me as I run it as a server since Yamaha's won't support the interface. So the Oppo 103D was still the best choice from anything under 1000 in both Audio and Video capabilities. Unless you have no use for the full function of the Media interface look at that Yamaha for 250 to 299 it is really really good and only reason I returned it was the Media App problem. The Yamaha is still useable with a generic media interface, but you have to keep your TV on and scroll thru the files like a Windows folder system would be.

Honestly I like the 103 still better than my Oppo 105 even I had at the time. The Darbee option is nice on my 103D, but not sure it's that critical unless you are super hardcore then it will render a better picture playing around with it.

Any of the current Onkyo's, Sony, Marantz that kinda thing cost you just as much as the Oppo 103D anyway, and still have certain limitations vs. the fact they normally still cost more.

schw06

I had the dac output fail followed by the unit unable to read discs. We took a lightning strike and rather than piecemeal the unit back together I'd rather move on. Thank you for the suggestion!

undertow

One other feature that may or may not matter... The Oppo 103D is still probably the king in "Universal" it can play back a lot of files some machines won't even like FLAC, also depending on your flexibility the Oppo still has Variable volume output if it is needed, many other machines don't offer it. So in the end it is still very very difficult to get the flexibility the Oppo offers, and quality for the price.

But the Yamaha is my opinion the best alternative out there for very little money if you can find one on sale, and live without variable volume, and the media interface for accessing a hard drive, again you can access your hard drive via TV on as a monitor, but it's clunky, Yamaha will play FLAC. As a CD transport only it's perfectly fine as well.

Another tidbit... Arguably mainstream CD, Blu Ray, optical disc use is nearly dead. I am starting to think you will only see the low end 99 dollar machines at Best buy in the future for new generation machines. Oppo might be the only remaining niche' machine for playing back anything in universal formats moving forward. Most will just be likely DACS with a user interface, and Netflix, Amazon etc... streaming Apps.

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
The Oppo 103d is hard to beat for the money.. The D version just makes it a bit better.
Lightning strikes happen but insurance should cover that.....
Treat yourself, you deserve it!

"Another tidbit... Arguably mainstream CD, Blu Ray, optical disc use is nearly dead"

I have a problem with this, not saying the statement is wrong and looks like everything is indeed heading that way. 
What will people stream when the Internet is down like it has been here on and off for the last couple years?
Provider is upgrading but things happen. Went without service for 2 days when someone took out a pole on the other side of the state last winter.

CD, Blu Ray will always be what I depend on the most for movies and ripping for music playback.

schw06

Thank you for the input guys! I will buck up for a 103D. I appreciate it.
David