RAAL tweeter

OgOgilby

Re: RAAL tweeter
« Reply #60 on: 6 Jan 2011, 02:06 am »
Oh--one other thing.  I know I promised to update my avatar with a more recent pic of the now bigger Ben, but he ate (well, destroyed) my digital camera.  Along with his puppy training manual and most of my collection of sheet music.

At least Ben has kept away from your speakers...  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #61 on: 6 Jan 2011, 02:20 am »
Awwwwww.  Very cute puppy.  Just start nailing everything down. 

OgOgilby

« Reply #62 on: 6 Jan 2011, 02:46 am »
Thanks Dennis. I was more than a bit worried about out HT2's and speaker cables before reading your post. Now we need to keep an eye on our camera!

Looking forward to seeing some recent pics of Ben - when you get another camera.

Back on topic... I do like the idea of an adjustable three section HT3 (like the Focal's).

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #63 on: 6 Jan 2011, 02:51 pm »
Actually, I don't see the point of a segmented, adjustable speaker.  What's the reference configuration for design purposes?  If it's accurate in the postitioning used to design it, it won't be accurate when you start repositioning things.  I can see the need to raise the entire speaker under some circumstances, but you would do that with a different size plinth or spikes. 

jsalk

« Reply #64 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:48 pm »
There are few limits to how exotic a cabinet design can get.  But keep in mind that the cabinet is usually the most expensive part of the speaker.  So re-working the HT3 in some of the ways suggested will only serve to make it a much more expensive speaker.  It will likely not increase the sound quality to any appreciable degree.

The SoundScape 10's were designed to take the HT3 concept to the next level.  And they certainly do that in almost every aspect.  So, in a very real sense, we have already re-designed the HT3 (and named it the SoundScape).

My current inclinations are to leave the HT3 as it is.  It is a very good speaker in its current form.  If I think about re-working it, I immediately think about the driver selection, etc.  In other words, everything would be on the table, not just the cabinet.  In that case, it wouldn't end up being an HT3.  It would probably be a totally new design and would probably be priced at about where the SoundScape is now. 

That said, if someone wants an HT3 in a cabinet that looks different, we would certainly work to accomplish whatever that customer wants, including cabinet designs much like those posted above.  That is a big part of what we do and I have no problem with that.  It would just be more expensive.

- Jim

carusoracer

« Reply #65 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:32 pm »
Interesting thread. I like to hear the proactive nature of all the posts, especially from the designer and crossover guru's :thumb:

With that said, I must really need to hear this new RAAL Tweeter. My HT'3 keep getting better just a like a vintage wine. I still do not believe I have found the limits of what they are capable of. My transition to all tubes has contributed to more of a luv affair with the sounds they can produce.

coke

« Reply #66 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:40 pm »
Interesting thread. I like to hear the proactive nature of all the posts, especially from the designer and crossover guru's :thumb:

With that said, I must really need to hear this new RAAL Tweeter. My HT'3 keep getting better just a like a vintage wine. I still do not believe I have found the limits of what they are capable of. My transition to all tubes has contributed to more of a luv affair with the sounds they can produce.

I feel the same with my HT2-TLs.   As I fix room and equipment issues, they just keep getting better.  My major issue now is the room, and I don't feel a need to upgrade before that's fixed.

TomS

« Reply #67 on: 6 Jan 2011, 05:54 pm »

I agree this has been an interesting thread in its openness.  Jim kind of said it and you nailed it with the wine association.  The HT3 is really a classic design now and should probably be left well enough alone.  Changing the tweeter over for new orders probably makes sense just from a sourcing and support standpoint.  When you start making all kinds of other variations, changing cabinet shapes, etc. then it might actually de-value the brand as nobody really knows what the speaker is anymore.  Resale suffers too.

martyo

« Reply #68 on: 6 Jan 2011, 06:00 pm »
With that said, I must really need to hear this new RAAL Tweeter. My HT'3 keep getting better just a like a vintage wine.

The same with me and our HT3's. When I'm listening to ours I'm very content. (Well, there can always be more low end  :lol:) Even the highs are awesome. Then I go over and listen to my bro's HT2-TL's and am amazed with that RAAL. It really is special. And I LOVE the HT2's. But I still will take the HT3 w/G2 over the HT2-TL w/RAAL.  8)

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #69 on: 6 Jan 2011, 08:57 pm »
Very interesting indeed.

Actually, I don't see the point of a segmented, adjustable speaker.  What's the reference configuration for design purposes?  If it's accurate in the postitioning used to design it, it won't be accurate when you start repositioning things.  I can see the need to raise the entire speaker under some circumstances, but you would do that with a different size plinth or spikes. 

My thoughts about a 0- 15 deg, Raal was to have a method to respond to the vertical displacement issues with ribbon tweeters. If this would indeed upset the accuracy, then scrap that idea !

martyo:

Very interesting opinon on the HT3 vs. the HT2-TL. I have been wondering about that !

winston1156

« Reply #70 on: 6 Jan 2011, 09:14 pm »
I read from someone, I think magico, that said their why would you move a piece of the speaker if it has been perfectly aligned.   I agree 99%.  I suppose a very small adjustment might work.   Personally, I think that is not the best way to go however.  Better to fidget with placement or dsp or some such thing.

Rocket

« Reply #71 on: 6 Jan 2011, 10:15 pm »
Hi,

I actually like the cabinet design of the HT3's.  Some of the pictures that were shown looked too art deco for my tastes and I much prefer the coffin shapped cabinet.  Just my opinion though.

I think a TL version of the speaker would be an interesting proposition.

Regards

Rod

Big Red Machine

« Reply #72 on: 6 Jan 2011, 10:31 pm »

martyo:

Very interesting opinon on the HT3 vs. the HT2-TL. I have been wondering about that !
  Try not to encourage him. 8)

audio0947

« Reply #73 on: 9 Jan 2011, 09:47 pm »
There are few limits to how exotic a cabinet design can get.  But keep in mind that the cabinet is usually the most expensive part of the speaker.  So re-working the HT3 in some of the ways suggested will only serve to make it a much more expensive speaker.  It will likely not increase the sound quality to any appreciable degree.

The SoundScape 10's were designed to take the HT3 concept to the next level.  And they certainly do that in almost every aspect.  So, in a very real sense, we have already re-designed the HT3 (and named it the SoundScape).

My current inclinations are to leave the HT3 as it is.  It is a very good speaker in its current form.  If I think about re-working it, I immediately think about the driver selection, etc.  In other words, everything would be on the table, not just the cabinet.  In that case, it wouldn't end up being an HT3.  It would probably be a totally new design and would probably be priced at about where the SoundScape is now. 

That said, if someone wants an HT3 in a cabinet that looks different, we would certainly work to accomplish whatever that customer wants, including cabinet designs much like those posted above.  That is a big part of what we do and I have no problem with that.  It would just be more expensive.

- Jim
Then dont bother, your prices have gone up enough and raising the price on the HT3 again will only serve to push more people like me for whom it was on the edge of what budget would allow towards other designs.

taoggniklat

« Reply #74 on: 14 Jan 2011, 07:11 pm »
All I know is that I would love any of the Salk line in my system....someday someday!

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #75 on: 14 Jan 2011, 08:58 pm »
I think anyone who's actually heard the HT-3's perform at their best would be hard pressed to even consider messing with a good thing as it's design. I can state as a fact after hearing them for myself in such a system, if I were ever fortunate enough to have the means to purchase them, changing the cabinet wouldn't ever remotely enter my mind.  :nono:

Spikes,,,,,,, maybe.  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin