DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner

undertowogt1

Re: DIY Ultrasonic album cleaner
« Reply #100 on: 22 Nov 2016, 09:57 pm »
Quick question: how do you use a vacuum machine to dry it, when both sides are wet? ...doesn't that just make the platter on the machine wet when you flip it over?

Good question, I realized that it might be an issue as I was cleaning my first record. Turns out it wasn't a big deal though. On my DIY cleaning machine I have a rubber turntable mat similar to the one pictured. Just the ridges of the mat get a little wet and it is not a concern for me.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #101 on: 23 Nov 2016, 01:11 am »
Whereas mine is a variation on the Nitty Gritty RCM.  It is only supported from the label area.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #102 on: 24 Nov 2016, 03:23 pm »
It's here and fairly affordable due to 3D printing technology:

http://www.cleanervinyl.com

$379 for the 12 record attachment, $139 for the 6L Ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon and $129 for the dryer, total is $647 shipping included.

A nice price for fellas who don't want to DIY. In 1 hour you'll have 12 records cleaned and dried.

Best,
Anand.

undertowogt1

« Reply #103 on: 20 Dec 2016, 08:49 pm »
Just an update on my DIY Ultrasonic RCM for anyone interested in this method. I have started cleaning my whole collection, its about 350 records as of now. I have been putting on the albums after a cleaning and WoW! this thing is cleaning them really well, They sound fantastic.. I dont think it can get any better than thins, they sound pristine

My Method.

Heat water until it is about 30 degrees C
Spin 2 records for 3 mins
Vacuum dry on DIY Vacum RCM

Using
Distilled water
Isopropyl alcohol       
Triton X100                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

SteveRB

« Reply #104 on: 20 Dec 2016, 08:52 pm »
Just an update on my DIY Ultrasonic RCM for anyone interested in this method. I have started cleaning my whole collection, its about 350 records as of now. I have been putting on the albums after a cleaning and WoW! this thing is cleaning them really well, They sound fantastic.. I dont think it can get any better than thins, they sound pristine

My Method.

Heat water until it is about 30 degrees C
Spin 2 records for 3 mins
Vacuum dry on DIY Vacum RCM

Using
Distilled water
Isopropyl alcohol       
Triton X100                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

how many RPMs in that 3 mins?

undertowogt1

« Reply #105 on: 20 Dec 2016, 08:59 pm »
how many RPMs in that 3 mins?

3.5 RPM is the lowest speed of my motor. that is what I run it at

so 3.5 X 3 mins = 10.5 Revolutions

SteveRB

« Reply #106 on: 20 Dec 2016, 09:04 pm »
Interesting.

I've heard different people get different results with slower speeds -- only doing one 10min revolution...

undertowogt1

« Reply #107 on: 20 Dec 2016, 09:06 pm »
Interesting.

I've heard different people get different results with slower speeds -- only doing one 10min revolution...

This is the speed I have to work with. Seems like it works great. I feel the Triton x100 and the heat did wonders
I am scared to put the records back in the Sleeves now. some dust might get on them :)

S Clark

« Reply #108 on: 20 Dec 2016, 10:18 pm »

I am scared to put the records back in the Sleeves now. some dust might get on them :)
And you should be.  After all the trouble you've gone to to get them clean, spend a couple of dimes to get a new sleeve.
Here is my go to sleeve and it's source.  http://www.sleevecityusa.com/Diskeeper-2-0-Antistatic-Record-Sleeves-p/9235.htm
A few of my more valued lp's go into a MFSL sleeve.

I'm glad to hear that your impressions are similar to mine.  I haven't used the heater yet, simply cleaning at room temp.  I'll try it on the next batch.

Ultra sonic is the way to go, and is a clear upgrade to vacuum cleaning. 

undertowogt1

« Reply #109 on: 20 Dec 2016, 10:49 pm »
ya I really should upgrade my sleeves. Thanks for the link.

Folsom

« Reply #110 on: 21 Dec 2016, 01:41 am »
I went Big Baller for my inner sleeves. Maybe I'd feel different if I had more than 150 LP's or so... na, I love these sleeves. They don't crumple, they're non-static, and very tough.

But I need outside sleeves now...  :lol: any experience with the different sizes from SleeveCity?

S Clark

« Reply #111 on: 21 Dec 2016, 03:19 am »
I've used those interchangeably with the MFSL, and suspect they may be the same sleeve.  But, they are too pricey for the entire 2.5K lp collection. 
For outer sleeves I use the cheapest I can get. 

Folsom

« Reply #112 on: 21 Dec 2016, 06:19 am »
Hey it's your fault you bring home every stray dog! :lol:

I only keep stuff I listen to, or I'd have another 200 LP's. Don't get me wrong, I've got hundreds in my wish list.

S Clark

« Reply #113 on: 21 Dec 2016, 07:02 am »
I don't mind the strays, cause I find some real gems that way.  But there are probably 500 that should be culled.  I've need to put some up for sale here after the new year.  You just don't need 3 copies of Dvorak's New World Symphony.

undertowogt1

« Reply #114 on: 9 Jan 2017, 04:02 pm »
Just discovered this Michael Fremer Video talking about Ultrasonic Cleaners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAIpIh2Dq24

Not impressed with the Cleanervinyl.com Version at all. By the time you get the drying adapter setup the records would be already dry from air. And you need to drian the water  :o

S Clark

« Reply #115 on: 9 Jan 2017, 04:40 pm »
I watched the video.  He's using the same Chinese cleaner that we are.  I have no earthly idea why he is cleaning for 15 minutes, as that is way overkill.  I'm 3 minutes and done, then 1 minute on the Nitty Gritty to vacuum, so even less evaporative residue.  I also don't like running more than 3 lp's at a time.  It may not make a difference, but I've kept my spacing to at least 1 wavelength, or about 3 cm, hoping to get better results in the space between lp's.  I knock out about 3 records in 10 minutes, or about the same as just three step scrubbing and vacuuming on the Nitty Gritty.

undertowogt1

« Reply #116 on: 9 Jan 2017, 05:27 pm »
After seeing the AUDIO DESK rollers in action I wonder if I should be manually scrubbing above the water when my records are spinning. Or would it do nothing at all or just push dirt deeper. I have not tried 3 at a time. I clean two at a time and as I vacuum the first one I leave the spin motor running on the ultrasoic so my 2nd record does not dry. I find they dry very fast.

SteveRB

« Reply #117 on: 9 Jan 2017, 05:32 pm »
After seeing the AUDIO DESK rollers in action I wonder if I should be manually scrubbing above the water when my records are spinning. Or would it do nothing at all or just push dirt deeper. I have not tried 3 at a time. I clean two at a time and as I vacuum the first one I leave the spin motor running on the ultrasoic so my 2nd record does not dry. I find they dry very fast.

I had a long chat with my brother who uses USCs in a lab setting: very high end science situation. He said basically said the bubbles do all the work. Extra scrubbing, detergents, etc are pretty much redundant.

undertowogt1

« Reply #118 on: 9 Jan 2017, 05:45 pm »
I had a long chat with my brother who uses USCs in a lab setting: very high end science situation. He said basically said the bubbles do all the work. Extra scrubbing, detergents, etc are pretty much redundant.

this is good to know, thanks

S Clark

« Reply #119 on: 9 Jan 2017, 06:01 pm »
Yep, my scrubbing days are over.  The vacuum is just used to dry and remove fluid. 
Wait... Are you saying they don't use any surfectant?  Just water?