Ceramica Translam

Tomy2Tone

Re: Ceramica Translam
« Reply #60 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:22 pm »
Dude!!  Great job, they look awesome!

HT cOz

« Reply #61 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:22 pm »
Hi Robert what is the issue with your amplifier? What is the sensitivity of your speakers? Are you having clipping issues?

Hey Nick, the speakers are 88db efficient and they rock out.  I'm typically listening in the 80db range so no clipping.  I'm not sure whats wrong with the amp but I'm getting almost pink like noise from the tweets, mids, and bass sections.  I noticed last night at 1am.  I plugged the Modrwright into my Marantz integrated and no issues.  I decided to just listen to the Marantz dac/amp tonight and it is sounding really good.  The Modwright power tube is a bit microphonic.  I have new tubes at home and will bring them back in May.  My amp is DIY so perhaps I've messed it up or something.  Painful but not preventing me from enjoying the speakers...  :popcorn:

HT cOz

« Reply #62 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:24 pm »
Absolutely beautiful!!!  How is the burn in coming... how do the sound?

Hey Ron,

They are starting to sound really good, I can see why Rick has hinted these are big time winners.  Even with modest electronics they are very pleasing. 

HT cOz

« Reply #63 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:25 pm »
Dude!!  Great job, they look awesome!

Thanks Tomy - I think when I told Rick that I was going to build a Translam Ceramica his BS antenna went off, but I can see the finish line now. 

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #64 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:27 pm »
Thanks Tomy - I think when I told Rick that I was going to build a Translam Ceramica his BS antenna went off, but I can see the finish line now.

That's so great. BTW, whenever I see you post I'm reminded of the speaker cables you made years ago. I still have them and use them in the mix every so often, great cables!

HT cOz

« Reply #65 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:29 pm »
They look great!  When are you making the next pair?   :P

This is addicting, you should see the mad awesome designs Ivica has hidden in Solidworks!  I would probably not make another big tower as they are so heavy.  I'm super glad I didn't step up to bigger bass drivers.  I'll admit my retirement hobby will be toying on similar projects.  Ok 15 years from now, you guys will see my 3rd speaker project.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

HT cOz

« Reply #66 on: 22 Apr 2019, 03:42 pm »
That's so great. BTW, whenever I see you post I'm reminded of the speaker cables you made years ago. I still have them and use them in the mix every so often, great cables!

Tomy that's awesome, hold on to them.  Complete unobtanium the Japanese plant closed and the amount of time I put into a pair of those was insane!  Striping the wire and hand braiding, someone should have turned me into the funny farm.  I need to make one last pair, my own!  AudioCircle also grew up, I got a family and started working at Royal Dutch Shell.  However, the bug never completely leaves you... my drawer next to my desk.

I haven't sold a cable for atleast 7 years though... so don't turn me into the police!  :wink: :wink: :wink:

HT cOz

« Reply #67 on: 18 Jan 2020, 02:47 pm »
I received a question about how I attached the baffle and what steps I took to prevent moisture splitting the layers.  Below are a few pics and what I did to prevent splitting.

This pic is actually the baffle being glued into place. 

This pic shows how each layer was a complete circle and the baffle attached as a separate unit.

To prevent splitting:
1). I used Moisture Resistant HDF
2). I made each ring like an O and not a C
3). I glued the inside of the cabinet

I believe this is overkill but should work.  If I was to do it over I would probably use the C approach to reduce material usage.  The ultimate would be to use a Baltic birch and stabilize it via vacuum and cactus juice.  I’ve seen posts where manufactures use glue and negative pressure to seal the mdf. 

Have fun, Translam are awesome!

cremar

« Reply #68 on: 18 Jan 2020, 03:30 pm »
Thanks for responding so quickly! 

I was hoping to go with a C shape to save on material.  When you say you glued the inside of the cabinet, do you mean as a sealer?  If so, I was thinking of using shellac...do you think that would work just as well? 

HT cOz

« Reply #69 on: 18 Jan 2020, 05:18 pm »
I used a mixture of 50% wood glue and water inside the cabinet.  I don’t think anything would work better for sealing the inside.  It’s probably not worth the trouble to use a different method.  I think C shapes will work, definitely easier and less expensive. 

Sparks

« Reply #70 on: 8 Mar 2020, 05:49 am »
Good Lord, Oz.
Your speakers are a work of functional art.
When it comes to A\V, only too much is enough.
Kudos to You & Rick