Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2

Pez

Re: Tweaked out Bose 901 series 6 mk 2
« Reply #200 on: 24 Dec 2011, 05:11 pm »
So you throw around society names and spout off about mathematical models of sound fields and then offer up no proof... Of course we believe you.

Soundminded

« Reply #201 on: 24 Dec 2011, 05:16 pm »
So you throw around society names and spout off about mathematical models of sound fields and then offer up no proof... Of course we believe you.

I don't expect you to and I said so. However I've also offered you a well reasoned explanation of what's wrong with this design and how it can be fixed. Care to argue substance instead of throw insults? Do you actually know anything about this product, it's history, what it can and can't do or are you just one of the endless throng who thinks he knows something about it but has no facts?

rbbert

« Reply #202 on: 24 Dec 2011, 05:19 pm »
I think the skepticism is with the idea that ANY system using 9 cheap "full-range" drivers can sound anything but mediocre, no matter how configured.

Æ

« Reply #203 on: 24 Dec 2011, 06:13 pm »
BTW, IMO plugging a loudspeaker system into a 120 volt outlet is about as stupid a thing as you can do even if you're lucky enough not to destroy it. Not only isn't it desgned for it, it also happens to be illegal, a serious and reckless electrical code violation that could result in tragedy.

Illegal? So is suicide, but who is going to stop you. Here, I bet you'll get a jolt out of this.

Soundminded

« Reply #204 on: 24 Dec 2011, 06:18 pm »
I think the skepticism is with the idea that ANY system using 9 cheap "full-range" drivers can sound anything but mediocre, no matter how configured.

The original 901 drivers were anything but cheap. They were what today is called midwoofers and have a capacity of 30 watts RMS each. That was big in those days, KLH Model 6's woofer is only rated at 40 watts. They're long thow (for their size) acoustic suspension design. Parts Express charges $19 each for their knockoff of the current version manufactured in the far east. Even at just $10 per driver that's almost $200 of the $476 they charged for the original. What's outrageous is a speaker system containing an 11" Focal woofer, a 13" Focal woofer, a 7" midrange and a couple of tweeters in 4 bookshelf enclosures strapped together with some sort of magic dust thrown on them selling for $150,000 like this one.

http://www.wilsonaudio.com/product_alex.shtml

At that price they should throw in a Rolls Royce or a condominium in the deal. And did they have to make it look like a hunched over robot in a grade B sci fi movie?

Æ

« Reply #205 on: 24 Dec 2011, 06:23 pm »
The original 901 drivers were anything but cheap. They were what today is called midwoofers and have a capacity of 30 watts RMS each.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-922

Pez

« Reply #206 on: 24 Dec 2011, 06:33 pm »
I don't expect you to and I said so. However I've also offered you a well reasoned explanation of what's wrong with this design and how it can be fixed. Care to argue substance instead of throw insults? Do you actually know anything about this product, it's history, what it can and can't do or are you just one of the endless throng who thinks he knows something about it but has no facts?

It's always funny to me when people like you post. You make a bunch of claims etc but when it comes down to putting the rubber to the road ie having someone actually listen to your setup or post pics or ANYTHING that would convince us otherwise that you are on the level you balk. So what is it? are you going to put you money where your mouth is and give us something tangible to look at/ listen to or are you going to continue to make outrageous claims?

Soundminded

« Reply #207 on: 24 Dec 2011, 06:41 pm »
It's always funny to me when people like you post. You make a bunch of claims etc but when it comes down to putting the rubber to the road ie having someone actually listen to your setup or post pics or ANYTHING that would convince us otherwise that you are on the level you balk. So what is it? are you going to put you money where your mouth is and give us something tangible to look at/ listen to or are you going to continue to make outrageous claims?

Exactly what did you have in mind? BTW, if you expect these to sound like big mother Cerwin Vegas or monster JBLs blasting rock until you are stone deaf....fageddaboutit. They were redesigned for range, clarity, and accuracy for hearing recordings of "serious" music. They'll eat 130 watts at low frequencies like it's nothin'. I'm not going to market them, they were designed for me alone. I'm just letting you know it can be done....if by no one else than at least by me.

TONEPUB

« Reply #208 on: 24 Dec 2011, 06:58 pm »
Man, I gotta go with Pez on this one!

So, what is "serious music"?

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
« Reply #209 on: 24 Dec 2011, 07:13 pm »
About time for the Intergalactic Wastebin isn't it?  :roll:

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #210 on: 24 Dec 2011, 07:27 pm »
Yes indeed - bin time. In fact, a lot of efficiency is available here if you just route anything from HiFiSoundGuy directly to the IGWB. You lose a little drama but you save on stress and nonsense.

Pez

« Reply #211 on: 24 Dec 2011, 07:28 pm »
About time for the Intergalactic Wastebin isn't it?  :roll:

We past that point when the first post was made in the SDWB forum for crying out loud.

Soundminded

« Reply #212 on: 24 Dec 2011, 07:59 pm »
Man, I gotta go with Pez on this one!

So, what is "serious music"?

Music that appeals to someone who has already gone through puberty, is older than an adolescent, and whose IQ is a larger number than his shoe size. So how many of you does that let out?

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #213 on: 24 Dec 2011, 08:05 pm »

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-922

Bose does not use the same speaker drivers as they use to in these LATEST 901's.

:nono: The Grills on these 901's is what really holds these 901's back !!!!....they are made of FIBERGLASS !!! and your not going hear their FULL POTENTIAL with these Grills on...its a night and day DIFFERENCE !!.........

And the BOSE equalizer, when tweaked-out with teflon tape improves the sound of these 901's a good bit too !...

So this review coming up on these 901's MEANS NOTHING COMPARED TO A TWEAKED-OUT 901 system !!............  8)

Æ

« Reply #214 on: 24 Dec 2011, 08:26 pm »
BOSE does not use the same speaker drivers as they use to in these LATEST 901's.

Yes, they now use even cheaper ones that were made in China.

The Grills on these 901's is what really holds these 901's back !!!!....they are made of FIBERGLASS !!! and your not going hear their FULL POTENTIAL with these Grills on...its a night and day DIFFERENCE !!.........

And for the absolute best performance plug them directly into any 120VAC wall outlet.

Pez

« Reply #215 on: 24 Dec 2011, 08:42 pm »
Music that appeals to someone who has already gone through puberty, is older than an adolescent, and whose IQ is a larger number than his shoe size. So how many of you does that let out?

I'm out, though I am older than adolescent (31) I still have yet to go through puberty. And though my IQ is on the lower side of normal (85) My shoe size is well above normal (92).

What state are you in soundminded?

HiFiSoundGuy

« Reply #216 on: 24 Dec 2011, 09:11 pm »
Yes, they now use even cheaper ones that were made in China.

And for the absolute best performance plug them directly into any 120VAC wall outlet.

NO, they just use a different speaker cone and cloth surrounds for these LATEST 901's and they are made here in the USA !   8)

Soundminded

« Reply #217 on: 24 Dec 2011, 10:04 pm »
I'm out, though I am older than adolescent (31) I still have yet to go through puberty. And though my IQ is on the lower side of normal (85) My shoe size is well above normal (92).

Thanks for your honesty. Having read your posts, that was my guess all along.  :green:

No such problems here. I grew up a long time ago and I'm smart enough to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. In fact even smarter than that.  :P

milford3

« Reply #218 on: 24 Dec 2011, 10:19 pm »
Holy crap!!  Bose is Crap!!  Get it!!

sts9fan

« Reply #219 on: 24 Dec 2011, 11:36 pm »
Is the 901 not built in Mexico? Or is it SC?  Don't really matter, they are fundamentally flawed.