Insulation and Weatherization at a discount

Dan Banquer

Insulation and Weatherization at a discount
« on: 26 Feb 2011, 08:46 pm »
As a homeowner, spending less money on utilities keeps more money in my pocket and not in the utilities bank account. Recently I had been talking to my dentist and my mechanic who had a fair amount of insulation work done at a discount through the local gas company. I decided to investigate this further and found the organization here in Massachusetts. I made the phone call and scheduled them to come out to inspect our house on Presidents Day.
Their representative came out and did a very thorough inspection which took about four hours. This included testing the boiler for efficiency and safety, getting into the crawl spaces on the second floor to inspect the insulation, doing a pressure test, and using a thermal imaging camera on all of the exterior walls.
He recommended some foam insulation in an area of the crawl space that I thought we would have to open the roof to get into, and some additional cellulose insulation in the attic crawl space. I think they must use dwarfs to get into these areas. He wrote it up and it came to about $1200.00 of which we only had to pay $284.00. There was no additional charge for the inspection. The gentleman told me the funds for him and the discount on the insulation are actually paid for by the customers of the gas and electric company as this is part of the gas and electric bill that all customers pay in for this service. The local gas company just got an increase from the state regulators to charge us more than they had been.
They offered free CFL bulbs, and told us we could use this service every two years. They also had a no interest loan program for new heating equipment.
So I am going to recommend to all of you that you do a little research and see if your local utilities have any program similar to the one I described. It’s pretty damn hard to beat a deal like this.
d.b.

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Insulation and Weatherization at a discount
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2011, 09:48 pm »
That is quite incredible!   :thumb:

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 27 Feb 2011, 12:14 pm »
Yeah - that's quite a deal.  Might have to look into that - though I doubt Missouri would be that progressive - lol.

Bryan

Bizarroterl

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2011, 10:46 pm »
20+ years ago I lived in Montana and the local power company had a deal like that.  Pretty much a no-brainer.

putz

« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2011, 12:34 am »
New Jersey has a Clean Energy program which we recently participated in. When Christie took office he raided the fund so the benefits are less than what we got but it's still a good deal. Money is funded via a surchage on Utility bills.

We had both attics and our basement heavily insulated, upstairs bathroom fans were vented outside the house, dryer vent was replaced with a metal one that does not trap any lint and our 45 year old furnace/15 year old water heater was replaced with a high efficiency furnace/water heater that's manufactured in NJ. Total cost was $21,500 with a $1,000 rebate, 50% rebate up to $10,000 and a 10 year 0.00% loan. Plus $1,500 Fed tax credit. Net cost was $500 out of pocket and $83.33 monthly loan payment. That amount does not include the Fed credit.  We also get free CFL lightbulbs.

Our January and February heating bills are down 25% from last year, even though temps were a little colder this year vs. last. Savings are based on usage, not dollars as Gas rates are a little lower than last year. AC bills should also be less during the summer. These improvements should also help with the resale value of our home. Most importantly, we're using less energy and lowering our carbon footprint. Just think of the impact if this was done on a large scale. All the jobs created and reducing our dependence on foreign oil.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2011, 01:35 am »
Great information Dan. Thank you for the heads-up on that.

But like Bryan said, I'm thinking our electric supplier here in Missouri's is a bit too old school to help us save money.  :duh:

Bob