Anyone have solar panels on their home?

ctviggen

Anyone have solar panels on their home?
« on: 3 Apr 2014, 04:23 pm »
If so, did you buy or rent?  How do you like them?  Are there any detriments?

We had 11.5kw of solar panels installed on our house (which has an in law apartment, complete with oven/fridge, etc.).  We've only had it really working for a month (it was installed during the winter, and it wasn't working correctly, but they couldn't come out to fix it due to inclement weather).   We purchased ours outright, and the installed cost should be $3.20/watt (before federal and local incentives, which dramatically lowered the overall cost).   The cost should be that as we believe enough people signed up to get us into another "tier", which means we should get money back.

The only detriments are that the panels on the main roof don't hold snow (which is also a benefit), so the snow ends up on our deck.  We had about 4 feet of snow on our deck at one time.  The other detriment is that if you have to buy electricity, since you're buying less, they charge you more per kw.  For instance, when our system was only partially working, the electric company charged us 24 cents per kwhr!  The normal is between 16 and 17 cents per kwhr. 

Wayner

Re: Anyone have solar panels on their home?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2014, 04:43 pm »
That is the problem with alternative energy sources, unless the government (tax payers), pay for the upfront costs of an installation, the money just doesn't work out. And, if it did, by that time, repairs would be needed (like new batteries) or converter, and the recovery costs just keep jumping ahead of the game.

I at one time, thought about wind energy, but the expense of it all (and the room needed to place it/service it) just didn't seem to be a fit for our house or our lot.

I do admire your attempt to "get off the grid", but it's an untold story that has an unknown ending.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2014, 04:56 pm »
The government gives the oil companies tax subsidies too. For example they can write off the costs of exploration despite being one of the most profitable industries in the world. Plus the side effects (externalities ie pollution, oil spills, smog, co2 emissions, etc.) of fossil fuels are a tax on society. The costs of these externalities should be reflected in the price of fuel but they're  not therefore they must be viewed as a subsidy.

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2014, 05:02 pm »
So you don't buy any oil or gas then?

Don_S

« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2014, 05:10 pm »
I was looking at new homes that included solar electric panels.  I worried about maintenance and the possible necessity of going up on the roof. The roofs were tiled and I was worried they might be damaged by whomever did maintenance or repairs (not me).

I have solar water panels for my pool and I have had to climb on my roof to fix too many leaks.  My shingles are composition so I do not worry about cracking them but at this point in my life I want simple and maintenance free. 

My professional career has always been in environmental programs.  My first job was with a brand new United States EPA then, after Nixon laid me off, I went to work for a brand new Ohio EPA.  I am as green as Kermit but I am not yet sold on solar electric for small, home installations.

I have not studied the economics so I could be all wrong.  As I stated, at this point in my life I want simple. I prefer to go with passive products like better windows and insulation.  Then use energy efficient lights and avoid KW-eating amplifiers.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2014, 05:12 pm »
Why shouldn't we pay the true costs instead of instead of transferring them to future generations? Gas should be $6.00/gal. Maybe at that point alternative fuels will become cost competitive. As it is big oil is receiving massive subsidies.

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2014, 05:14 pm »
That is the problem with alternative energy sources, unless the government (tax payers), pay for the upfront costs of an installation, the money just doesn't work out. And, if it did, by that time, repairs would be needed (like new batteries) or converter, and the recovery costs just keep jumping ahead of the game.

I at one time, thought about wind energy, but the expense of it all (and the room needed to place it/service it) just didn't seem to be a fit for our house or our lot.

I do admire your attempt to "get off the grid", but it's an untold story that has an unknown ending.

If everyone thought like you then nothing would ever change. 

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #7 on: 3 Apr 2014, 05:15 pm »
I was looking at new homes that included solar electric panels.  I worried about maintenance and the possible necessity of going up on the roof. The roofs were tiled and I was worried they might be damaged by whomever did maintenance or repairs (not me).

I have solar water panels for my pool and I have had to climb on my roof to fix too many leaks.  My shingles are composition so I do not worry about cracking them but at this point in my life I want simple and maintenance free. 

My professional career has always been in environmental programs.  My first job was with a brand new United States EPA then, after Nixon laid me off, I went to work for a brand new Ohio EPA.  I am as green as Kermit but I am not yet sold on solar electric for small, home installations.

I have not studied the economics so I could be all wrong.  As I stated, at this point in my life I want simple. I prefer to go with passive products like better windows and insulation.  The use energy efficient lights and avoid KW-eating amplifiers.

I have several neighbors who are quite happy with their solar panels. One actually has a sizable surplus of power which he sells back to the utility.

Don_S

« Reply #8 on: 3 Apr 2014, 05:30 pm »
Good to know.  I am still learning. Is it better to buy or lease?  I think the homes I was looking at gave the options.  FYI, I live in Sacramento, CA.  Not the best place for solar but not too bad either.

I have several neighbors who are quite happy with their solar panels. One actually has a sizable surplus of power which he sells back to the utility.

Nick B

« Reply #9 on: 3 Apr 2014, 05:36 pm »
My brother in law did solar in his So California home about 5 years ago and is very happy. It was professionally installed and there have been no issues. He uses solar to heat the pool (or assist with heating) . Sometimes there is a surplus of electricity. The up front cost was $50,000 and he believes it was worthwhile for the long term due to the high electricity rates. 

Don_S

« Reply #10 on: 3 Apr 2014, 06:05 pm »
I guess one of the reasons I don't get solar is my last electric bill (mid Feb-mid March) was $63.60. The previous billing period it was cold and my bill was $104.95. My house is completely electric-no gas in my hood.  Heat, A/C, hot water, everything is electric. I have a huge pool and run the pump a lot in the summer for the solar water panels.

When we have an extra cold spell in the winter or hot spell in the summer my bill might reach $125.  The rest of the year it is in the $60 or $70 brackets.  That makes it a long time for a solar system to pay for itself. 

My brother in law did solar in his So California home about 5 years ago and is very happy. It was professionally installed and there have been no issues. He uses solar to heat the pool (or assist with heating) . Sometimes there is a surplus of electricity. The up front cost was $50,000 and he believes it was worthwhile for the long term due to the high electricity rates.

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #11 on: 3 Apr 2014, 06:17 pm »
I guess one of the reasons I don't get solar is my last electric bill (mid Feb-mid March) was $63.60. The previous billing period it was cold and my bill was $104.95. My house is completely electric-no gas in my hood.  Heat, A/C, hot water, everything is electric. I have a huge pool and run the pump a lot in the summer for the solar water panels.

When we have an extra cold spell in the winter or hot spell in the summer my bill might reach $125.  The rest of the year it is in the $60 or $70 brackets.  That makes it a long time for a solar system to pay for itself.
Wow, you must live in an area with extremely low power rates. My house is in Washington State which does have relatively cheap power due to all of the hydroelectric sources. My bill is somewhat higher than yours. I don't have A/C or a pool and I'm frugal with power use.

nickd

« Reply #12 on: 3 Apr 2014, 06:24 pm »
I am waiting for panel efficiency to come up over 17%. I would love to be off grid, but the math (high cost of start up) does not work for me. I'm stuck paying the $150.00-$200.00 per month for now. I hear the tech is ramping up in the next 5 years. Hopefully the trend will continue. Back in the 80's solar companies all went under. I would hate to have an expensive system installed and have a problem 2*-3 years out with no parts and service available.

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2014, 06:54 pm »
If everyone thought like you then nothing would ever change.

If everyone thought like you, we'd all be broke. Oh wait, we are.

I'm sorry I'm just a realist. New technologies will come along in their own time, when the technology is ready and the time is right. Trying to force change on such a microscopic level is fruitless.

Inotherwords my friend, timing is everything and it's not time yet for these spin-off energy sources to be very effective. It then, ends up costing the "enthusiast" lots of money in what "can be" a futile effort.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #14 on: 3 Apr 2014, 07:25 pm »
Panels or not, reduce your home's energy demands.  There are a lot of good reliable systems out there;  I've done work on solar systems, of which one house has run for 12 years with only one inverter repair.  There are some small, unexpected benefits.  Cover your roof with panels and your cooling demand goes down; panels cut way down on solar heat gain and the attic is considerably cooler.

Bizarroterl

« Reply #15 on: 3 Apr 2014, 08:03 pm »
We have a 4.5kw array that was installed about 12 years ago.  I maintain it myself.  Every year I climb up on the roof (asphalt shingle) and wash the panels off.  I wouldn't need to do this but it doesn't rain here from May through October.

My electric bill was $180 -

for all of last year.

Don_S

« Reply #16 on: 3 Apr 2014, 08:23 pm »
Bizarroterl,

Where do you live?  You have me rethinking solar electric.  No rain from May through October is typical of the CA southern central valley to somewhere north of Sacramento.

For full disclosure on my bill I should mention that I keep my home closer to ambient than most people would be comfortable with.   :wink:

However I have to acknowledge that your bill is enviable. Congratulations. I am waiting for someone to post that actually get cash back instead of a bill.

We have a 4.5kw array that was installed about 12 years ago.  I maintain it myself.  Every year I climb up on the roof (asphalt shingle) and wash the panels off.  I wouldn't need to do this but it doesn't rain here from May through October.

My electric bill was $180 -

for all of last year.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #17 on: 4 Apr 2014, 01:42 am »
Bizarroterl - How much did that system cost to install?

Nick B. - For that $50,000 investment, how much energy does it produce for the home?

I'd be curious to see what gains folks are actually getting in climates that actually have some climate.
As much as I envy the SoCal guys and your climates, solar is certainly designed for your area. Plain and simple.
If I were you, I'd suck up as much sun as I could get.

charmerci

« Reply #18 on: 4 Apr 2014, 02:38 am »

Are you kidding??? I was in a 2 bedroom apartment and our winter electric bill was $60+ and that was in 1983!

NIGHTFALL1970

« Reply #19 on: 4 Apr 2014, 10:08 am »
From Hotair.com by Ed Morrissey:
"In 2009, the Obama administration approved a set of loan guarantees to Solyndra that totaled over $520 million, which supposedly would have created thousands of new jobs.  Most of that money, $300 million, went to build a new manufacturing plant for the solar panels that cost more to build than the market price they could fetch."

Great use of taxpayer money.  When do we the taxpayers ever get a bailout when there are no consequences for people who are always wrong.  This is what happens when politicians think that they know better than the free market.