Back up sump pump

django11

• Canuckistani
Back up sump pump
« on: 8 Aug 2012, 11:36 pm »
I am looking into getting a battery operated back up sump pump.  Looking around the web I am thinking about getting one of these.

Anyone with advice on the matter?  I have a small generator that I have to get out and crank start ( usually in the dark while it is raining and blowing) and am looking for something to give me that added bit of security. 

Wayner

Re: Back up sump pump
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2012, 12:41 am »
These are fine for the occasional sump-pump relief, but if you are in a storm, they are worthless. They will not save your basement or your equipment.

Wayner

TomS

« Reply #2 on: 9 Aug 2012, 02:32 am »
I have a city water powered backup pump from Base Products called BasePump and it is great. No worries about batteries or AC power, ever. Total peace of mind.  The battery on those backup systems runs out very fast which does you no good if you are not home.

Danberg

« Reply #3 on: 9 Aug 2012, 02:49 am »
I was in the waterproofing business.

If you live in an area that is supplied by "city" water (not a well & pump system) I'd also STRONGLY RECOMMEND a "water powered" back-up sump pump. 

Battery powered units are of no help if the power is out for an extended amount of time and you are not home.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #4 on: 9 Aug 2012, 10:58 am »
I had installed one.  After a few months the switch jammed and it would not pump just when I needed it.  Maybe I went too cheap?  I got this one from Costco. 

I am on city water but I only have a half inch pipe at that end of the house.  With the unit I tried the amount of water it pumped was less than impressive.

I wonder if something like this one is any good.

johzel

« Reply #5 on: 9 Aug 2012, 11:24 am »
After having my basement flood from the sump pit during a power outage I installed both a battery back-up sump pump and a generator that runs the essentials of my house including the sump pump.  This has worked fine for me.  The battery back-up buys me enough time to get the generator running.  Has only been a need once since but the battery back-up did its job. Were I ever to build another house I'd install a whole house auto generator system.  For now, the gas powered "portable" generator wired to its own electrical box offers peace of mind. 

Wayner

« Reply #6 on: 9 Aug 2012, 11:52 am »
Make sure your generator has a branch circuit that can handle 30 amps. That is the momentary power surge required to start the sump pump. Your home's 15 amp service can provide that surge for a few seconds before tripping the breaker, but if your generator is not capable of producing that amount of current, you can destroy your generator.....

Wayner

johzel

« Reply #7 on: 9 Aug 2012, 11:54 am »
Make sure your generator has a branch circuit that can handle 30 amps. That is the momentary power surge required to start the sump pump. Your home's 15 amp service can provide that surge for a few seconds before tripping the breaker, but if your generator is not capable of producing that amount of current, you can destroy your generator.....

Wayner

Thanks!  I will check that out for sure . . .

Crimson

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2012, 12:50 pm »
I just had a Kohler NG system installed 3 weeks ago. This after 2 days of rain with no power for three days. Had to run out and get a small gas generator for the sump pump after day one. Never again.

TomS

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2012, 06:46 pm »
I had installed one.  After a few months the switch jammed and it would not pump just when I needed it.  Maybe I went too cheap?  I got this one from Costco. 

I am on city water but I only have a half inch pipe at that end of the house.  With the unit I tried the amount of water it pumped was less than impressive.

I wonder if something like this one is any good.
The BasePump HB-1000 (1000GPH) is what I have and it pumps extremely well, though I have 3/4" hard plumbing into mine.

http://www.basepump.com/Basepump.htm

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 10 Aug 2012, 06:57 pm »
The battery powered back up sump pump I had used a car battery with a trickle charger.  The idea was to replace the battery after 5 years and use the old one in your car.  Thankfully it never ran, because the volume of water that the perimeter drain held days worth of rainwater and it's float control sat above the primary pump's float control. 

Make sure you install a pair of check valves downstream of each pump so that pumped water doesn't travel the path of least resistance back into the sump through the other pump versus out of the house.

Wayner

« Reply #11 on: 10 Aug 2012, 07:36 pm »
You must use a "Marine" type rechargeable battery. These have higher current draw capacities and can be drawn down to almost zero voltage and not adversely affect the battery. They are more expensive then a car battery, but will perform better.

Wayner

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2012, 04:36 pm »
I have a question on the water powered pumps.  In the installation drawings I have seen they all evacuate the water outside at ceiling level.  I evacuate out of the municipal drain at floor level.  Is there some requirement that the evacuation be at ceiling level?

Wayner

« Reply #13 on: 11 Aug 2012, 05:26 pm »
First, it's against almost all city codes to dump sump pump water down your drain. This puts unnecessary load on the local sewage treatment plant and there is no sense to process clean water in the first place.

Next, the pump is design to discharge at ceiling height, because it's assumed that the pump is located in full basement. That means it has to have enough "oomph" to pump the water uphill, for about 8 feet.

Wayner

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2012, 06:02 pm »
I had a plumber here.  I asked him a few questions about the set up and he didn't say anything about the drain...

I did the 5 gallon bucket test and I don't have the required water flow.  So it is either I bite the bullet and run a 3/4 pipe from the front of my house in a finished basement or I go the battery op route...