The cat ate my homework
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: 25 May 2011, 04:44 pm

Are you active?

JohnR

Are you active?
« on: 18 May 2011, 04:44 pm »
Just wondering the current status of this. Any additional comments in posts below appreciated.

Please note: for the poll, a crossover to a subwoofer is not considered an "active" speaker.

lowtech

Re: Are you active?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May 2011, 06:42 pm »
I'm using a Hypex DLCP crossover along with Hypex modules to run my 4.5-way DIY dipole speakers.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #2 on: 18 May 2011, 08:24 pm »
I am.  Bi-amped Meridian M20's.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 18 May 2011, 08:39 pm »
I use Brines Acoustics FTA-2000 single driver speakers, that by definition and like all single driver speakers, are active.   :thumb:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 18 May 2011, 10:15 pm »
Custom V2's, 3-way, fully active using a Behringer DCX2496 for crossover duties and FR adjustments.  Tube amps on the mids and highs, SS amp on the bass.

JayM

« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2011, 11:17 pm »
I use Fostex PM-2 actives. I did change a few things. I replaced the stock wiring loom from the internal amps to the drivers with silver ribbon, and I also bypassed the internal fuse. Before the fuse was bypassed the sound always had a hardness or compression once the volume hit mid levels. With the fuse bypassed, no more sound compression, other than the compression inherent in the amplifier or the drivers themselves.

With this replacement of the wiring loom, just the usual benefits associated with silver vs copper. ie More transparency, immediacy, more resolution of low level detail, highs sparkled, greater "flow" to music.

Best bang for the buck in my experience. I listened to Proac R2s (sold) and Quad 57s (which I still have), that gives my experience some context.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2011, 11:37 pm »
Nice work on those, Jay.

Blackmore

« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2011, 11:53 pm »
Lowther PM6A in no baffle stand crossed over @ 330 hz to a Consonance M12 using DCX2496.  48db on bass, 6dB on Lowthers.  I'm playing with delay to use the bass bins like the Lyngdorf RP-1.  Yamamoto A-09 on top and Innersound ESL amp on bottom.  Sorry, John this is close to the speaker with a subwoofer, but at 330hz I thought I might qualify. 

Mark

P.S.  When does winter start?  Sydney's looking pretty nice this week.

richidoo

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2011, 12:10 am »
Active is awesome! I own DCX2496 and Rane RPM26z, both are digital minimum phase crossovers. I've also used PC based crossovers, mostly minimum phase, but one was a cool free plugin from Japan that was all linear phase and sounded great. I want to try the PC based linear filters generated by AudioLense, Acourate. I would love to hear a Dirac based system.  I've heard DEQX a few times on different speakers. Usually it is excellent, sometimes mind blowingly good, and once it sucked, due to a difficult driver.

That all said, there is something to be said for passive filters if they use very good quality parts, especially large gage inductors, which are large and expensive. Passive has a wholeness and aliveness that is appealing. With quality parts and shallow filters the fidelity loss to active is not large. Most people love distortion from magnetic hysteresis. But few drivers can use shallow filters without too much coloration.

JDUBS

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2011, 04:03 am »
Active is the way to go.  I'm running a Mac Mini with Pure Muisc 1.74 into a (arriving tomorrow, to replace my TC Konnekt 48) Metric Halo LIO-8 8-channel DAC, into 3-way Yorkville Unity's that I pulled the passive crossover componets in and wired the drivers directly to new inputs.

It is awesome!

-Jim

mjosef

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2011, 04:38 am »
I modified my VMPS RM1, removed the bass and mid(caps) crossover network, and am using a Marchand analog crossover. I retained the stock crossover for the tweeter, with just a change to Sonicaps which made a big difference. Had to add an additional pair of speaker terminals for the mid panels.
Active is a blast!

richidoo

« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2011, 04:58 am »
I forgot to mention that the Rod Elliot Project 09 works really well too. A 2 or 3 way LR4 analog active crossover. You don't need the PCB, I soldered it together P>P and it sounded excellent, except I couldn't change the freq. Breadboard is the way to go to pick the xo freq. A super high performance, very low cost active crossover.

Rob S.

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2011, 05:15 am »
I'm enjoying my 3way active setup.  Selah Riferimento's triamped w/ stereo tube amp on tweeters, tube mono's on mid ranges and SS plate amps on bass drivers using DEQX 3.0

Rob S.

navi

« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2011, 09:52 am »
active speakers user for 9 years now. bought a pair of first AVI ADM9 with a built in 16/48 DAC about 4years ago. tweaked it with solid core copper wire in cotton, silver fuses and ERS. sounds good but i think top end is a bit dull.

if i had the money i'll get Genelec 8040's + a 24/192 DAC

ivan.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #14 on: 19 May 2011, 11:19 am »
Years ago auditioned Paradigm Studio 20s (small two way standmount, $800/pair) vs. Paradigm Active 20s (same design but fully active, $1600/pair).  No contest!!!

Greatly improved dynamics, flat frequency response (suddenly the music "makes sense"), and unbelievably deep/full bass (no subs needed for music).  Well worth the extra coin just to save buying an amp and sub.

Wish all audiophiles would wake up to this epiphony of mine.

toddbagwell

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2011, 02:26 pm »
Digital eq (room and speaker correction) prior to digital low pass (av processor) with full range analog stereo signal divided by analog active crossover, then to modded speakers.

Sounds good to me, and avoided multiple A/D/A conversions.

Todd

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2011, 06:24 pm »
Yes,
I'm using a Begheringer DCX2496 in a 3-way, tri-amp'd setup driving DIY hybrid electrostats and a pair of DIY Ripole subs.   

JohnR

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2011, 12:22 am »
Oh! Quite a number of folks, more than I had realized. Interesting to read how different people have approached it.

Rich, I have some of the Elliot P09 boards, if you or anyone else wants them (for the cost of postage). I'm sold on digital.

JLM, not to quibble about definitions, but...  :D "active" means "active crossover"... I guess I should an an option for "no crossover" to the poll!

JohnR

« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2011, 12:23 am »
Yes, DIY speakers with analog crossover
 0 (0%)

Hm... no votes from Orion owners?

batmanslc2

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2011, 12:50 am »
Been active for a while with quad 12L active and mfw-15 sub. I love having each and driver with its own personal amplifier, very "harmonious"   These speakers amaze me price/performance wise

Had some Mackie HR-824 for a while, they were OK, but I did not feel any connection to the music.