Eastern Electric DAC

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #860 on: 18 Apr 2011, 09:38 pm »
I did find this quote regarding this particular tube...

I have seen pics of the CV491 version of the Mullard but cannot see the K61 anywhere on the tube.
Should I stay away?

Randy

The K61 B will be on the side towards the bottom, it will be etched into the glass.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #861 on: 18 Apr 2011, 09:47 pm »
Thanks Bill.

Randy

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #862 on: 18 Apr 2011, 09:54 pm »
This the one you missed out on right here on AC Randy.  :nono:     :jester:

Here's the double bar D getter;

and here's the K61 printed on the tube base;

Snooze you lose.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #863 on: 18 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm »
This the one you missed out on right here on AC Randy.  :nono:     :jester:

Here's the double bar D getter;

and here's the K61 printed on the tube base;

Snooze you lose.  :dunno:

Cheers,
Robin

Your way to funny :lol:

rklein

« Reply #864 on: 19 Apr 2011, 12:23 am »
Serves me right for taking a two day break from AC! I did contact the AC seller of that very Mullard and was not a dollar short but was most certainly a day late. :lol:

The good news is there are others...

Regards,

Randy

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #865 on: 19 Apr 2011, 12:41 am »
Serves me right for taking a two day break from AC! I did contact the AC seller of that very Mullard and was not a dollar short but was most certainly a day late. :lol:

The good news is there are others...

Regards,

Randy
Check with Brent Jesse   http://www.audiotubes.com/12au7.htm

bahorn1

« Reply #866 on: 19 Apr 2011, 12:47 am »
(Sorry Randy.  I didn't snooze.  I was the one who bought the Mullard longplate recently posted!)

I just received my EE DAC last Thursday.  It is replacing a Tube Audio TADAC that has sounded great in my system but I have been anxious to try another DAC.  I've been close to buying the W4S DAC but couldn't pull the trigger.  With all the great reviews of the EE DAC, I decided to give it a try.

Straight out of the box, I really like the EE DAC.  I'm hearing details I have not heard before.  I'll slowly change connections and tubes to see how the sound changes.  I'm currently connecting my Mac Mini to the EE DAC via toslink.  I had been concerned that jitter on the toslink might cause the DAC to not lock onto the signal.  But I've had no problems with dropouts.  I am going to try a USB to SPDIF connector though just for comparison.  I have an MF V-Link and am waiting on my Black Cat Veloce to arrive.

I will also try tube rolling.  I love Mullards.  I have 4 CV4003 Mullards in my pre-amp.  My TADAC has 2 of the same tubes.  I'm going to roll in a Mullard CV4003 to see how it sounds, especially since it seems to be a favorite on this thread.  I also have an Amperex I want to try and may try an RCA Cleartop I have.  And of course, I'll try the Mullard longplate sometime after it arrives.

Bill O: Thanks for your support and prompt shipment.

--Doug

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #867 on: 19 Apr 2011, 01:20 am »
(Sorry Randy.  I didn't snooze.  I was the one who bought the Mullard longplate recently posted!)

I just received my EE DAC last Thursday.  It is replacing a Tube Audio TADAC that has sounded great in my system but I have been anxious to try another DAC.  I've been close to buying the W4S DAC but couldn't pull the trigger.  With all the great reviews of the EE DAC, I decided to give it a try.

Straight out of the box, I really like the EE DAC.  I'm hearing details I have not heard before.  I'll slowly change connections and tubes to see how the sound changes.  I'm currently connecting my Mac Mini to the EE DAC via toslink.  I had been concerned that jitter on the toslink might cause the DAC to not lock onto the signal.  But I've had no problems with dropouts.  I am going to try a USB to SPDIF connector though just for comparison.  I have an MF V-Link and am waiting on my Black Cat Veloce to arrive.

I will also try tube rolling.  I love Mullards.  I have 4 CV4003 Mullards in my pre-amp.  My TADAC has 2 of the same tubes.  I'm going to roll in a Mullard CV4003 to see how it sounds, especially since it seems to be a favorite on this thread.  I also have an Amperex I want to try and may try an RCA Cleartop I have.  And of course, I'll try the Mullard longplate sometime after it arrives.

Bill O: Thanks for your support and prompt shipment.

--Doug

Funny you should mention the TADAC cuz when I 1st heard the EE Dac, it was in direct comparison with the newer TDAC and an AVA Insight+ Dac. It was a better contest between the AVA dac and the TDAC (and I liked the TDAC much better) but it was really a nocontest against the EE Dac, then with the stock tube. But this K61 Mullard tube really made the sound stage pop in the Salk system I heard it in. Simply blows me away. But in my system, not so much with the EE Dac demo so you really never know til you try it out for yourself.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

rklein

« Reply #868 on: 21 Apr 2011, 07:19 pm »
Hey Guys:

I have come across a Mullard 12AU7 that seems to fit the bill.  It is a Long Plate with the
square D getter.  The markings on the tube are as follows:
Mullard
K61
B8E
BVA
Made in Great Britain

It it not the military version as it does not have the CV marking anywhere.

The tube is NOS and in perfect shape in the original box.  I know this because the tube is local and I went and looked at it.

Is this the tube everyone is raving about?

Thanks,

Randy

Gopher

« Reply #869 on: 21 Apr 2011, 07:29 pm »
Your description sounds like it, especially with the k61 designation.

I'll let the tube gurus chime in though.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #870 on: 21 Apr 2011, 08:04 pm »
Hey Guys:

I have come across a Mullard 12AU7 that seems to fit the bill.  It is a Long Plate with the
square D getter.  The markings on the tube are as follows:
Mullard
K61
B8E
BVA
Made in Great Britain

It it not the military version as it does not have the CV marking anywhere.

The tube is NOS and in perfect shape in the original box.  I know this because the tube is local and I went and looked at it.

Is this the tube everyone is raving about?

Thanks,

Randy

If it's that local Randy, maybe you can demo the tube in your EE Dac and let your ears decide? Most don't have that opportunity with online tube purchases so it would be pretty tricked out if you did.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

rklein

« Reply #871 on: 21 Apr 2011, 08:53 pm »
Hi Robin:

Your idea is great except I don't want to put this guy in a position to let me walk out of his store and try or audition a NOS vintage Mullard tube with the possibility of bringing it back and now it really isn't NOS anymore. :?

Randy

MrScary

« Reply #872 on: 19 May 2011, 03:57 am »
New EE DAC features coming in September

Thanks for your interest of our new model MiniMax DAC MKII. You are really fast getting the news.

It is a whole upgrade, it features...

Sabre ES9018
Italian M2Tech A Sync technology
Separate power transformers for digital and analog
High frequency relays/resistor input selection
improved PSU
improved tube output stage
improved 24/96 and 24/192KHz playing
volume pot removed
socketed opamps
tube/ss output selection

We look forward to the official launch ofthe MKII machine.

Jon L

« Reply #873 on: 20 May 2011, 04:46 am »

Thanks for your interest of our new model MiniMax DAC MKII. You are really fast getting the news.

Sabre ES9018
improved PSU
volume pot removed
socketed opamps
tube/ss output selection

Most of those features, especially asynch USB and removal of volume pot, were strongly requested before the launch of MKI.  Guess better late than never :)  I certainly welcome them.

rodge827

« Reply #874 on: 20 May 2011, 11:18 am »

Sabre ES9018
improved PSU
volume pot removed
socketed opamps
tube/ss output selection

Any idea of the price for the MKII version?

pardales

« Reply #875 on: 20 May 2011, 01:46 pm »
Any idea of the price for the MKII version?

And if there will be a pre-order special?

MttBsh

« Reply #876 on: 20 May 2011, 02:15 pm »
Will be interesting to compare the upcoming version of the EE Dac to the Bolder modified version of the current model.

Eudyptes

« Reply #877 on: 20 May 2011, 02:38 pm »
New EE DAC features coming in September ...

So like other M2Tech products (hiface, evo, young DAC) its USB asynch input won't work with Linux. Shame they did this.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #878 on: 20 May 2011, 02:45 pm »
So like other M2Tech products (hiface, evo, young DAC) its USB asynch input won't work with Linux. Shame they did this.

Unless this is an entirely new USB board etc it is likely that the "improved 24/96 and 24/192" capability is the improvements at the SPDIF/AES inputs....meaning no new USB capability (they supposedly use M2tech's drivers now, no big change).  My point:  the inexpensive EE DAC is still an Alix possibility by using a Linux-compatible USB/SPDIF converter (Audiophileo, etc), as is what would be needed today.

pardales

« Reply #879 on: 29 May 2011, 02:46 am »
Hope it will work "well" with a MAC via USB. USB seemed to be a weak input on  the original - just from what people reported here.