Eastern Electric DAC

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #820 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:52 am »
I can't say it will work in your rig, Bill.  But based on what I'm hearing so far its been a fun cheap experiment.  I''m eager to fast forward burn in 40 hours and see what these things sound like with some hours.

Fred,

I know it doesn't work in mine, although I haven't tried it in the DAC or my EL156's or the M88 :lol: truth be told.

Gopher

« Reply #821 on: 9 Apr 2011, 04:03 am »
Ha, maybe I'm nuts.  I've got Berto coming over early afternoon tomorrow and chances are he won't read this in advance.  He's heard my digital with a Mullard and Pavane (along with Waynes mods).  We'll see if he compliments, criticizes or doesn't register a difference with respect to my digi playback.

Berto

« Reply #822 on: 9 Apr 2011, 05:17 am »
Ha, maybe I'm nuts.  I've got Berto coming over early afternoon tomorrow and chances are he won't read this in advance.  He's heard my digital with a Mullard and Pavane (along with Waynes mods).  We'll see if he compliments, criticizes or doesn't register a difference with respect to my digi playback.

Somtimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't :duh:

Guess we have to put the redgum in first for a true a/b if you want my opinion.  Of course being up late and reading these posts might of poisoned me, since I already don't like what i'm hearing. :icon_lol:

With all that being said, not sure what the value of aural memory one month later is, but will try :thumb:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #823 on: 9 Apr 2011, 06:04 am »
I still have some Textronix(its late) tested RCA12au7 cleartops that I have yet to use or hear. Maybe I just ran into a few different variety of one's that didn't do it for me.
 Tubes and taste albeit you know what you like,differ from system and preferences.
Maybe the cleartop works wonders in the MiniMax circuit, I've just been tainted by previous trials with it.
 I can recommend tubes till my final day but if it is one thing I've learned over the years with tubes is, everybody's system and taste range from synergy in their room to music enjoyed and tone that is pleasing to what you think music should sound like.Nothing portrays it better than tubes. Which one to use is the question.

Gopher

« Reply #824 on: 9 Apr 2011, 12:03 pm »
Doh!  I guess the expectation of a change will be there. 

A month may be a while, but I know you enjoyed my digital a lot in my system and yours and the talk of others isn't that of a 'slight difference' but more like a passionate hatred.   :lol:  I thought something might register. 

I wasn't the soberest when posting last night, but I left the rig on overnight playing isotek tones (whether you believe they accelerate burn in or not, thats another 9 hours on 'em) and its still sounding darn good this morning.  Transparant, wide stage, really coherent through the mids, maybe slightly forward.  Its not the deepest stage, nor the most impactful bass I've had in here and it is a little less rich then the Pavane and Mullard 1950s LP I have, but its more engaging than the Pavane for me. 

This is the particular one I'm listening to now.:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250793259252&si=YV4puKFRcG9OPqnetsAAl276T4s%253D&viewitem=#ht_500wt_922

Levi

« Reply #825 on: 9 Apr 2011, 12:50 pm »
I could have saved you money as I have several of those that I tried with my EE DAC. :lol:

To each his own.

Levi

« Reply #826 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:08 pm »
Not sure if break in will help. The eBay ad did not say it was NOS (un-used) specially if the labeling almost gone.  :o  Having said that, trust your initial impressions.

Doh!  I guess the expectation of a change will be there. 

A month may be a while, but I know you enjoyed my digital a lot in my system and yours and the talk of others isn't that of a 'slight difference' but more like a passionate hatred.   :lol:  I thought something might register. 

I wasn't the soberest when posting last night, but I left the rig on overnight playing isotek tones (whether you believe they accelerate burn in or not, thats another 9 hours on 'em) and its still sounding darn good this morning.  Transparant, wide stage, really coherent through the mids, maybe slightly forward.  Its not the deepest stage, nor the most impactful bass I've had in here and it is a little less rich then the Pavane and Mullard 1950s LP I have, but its more engaging than the Pavane for me. 

This is the particular one I'm listening to now.:  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250793259252&si=YV4puKFRcG9OPqnetsAAl276T4s%253D&viewitem=#ht_500wt_922

Gopher

« Reply #827 on: 14 Apr 2011, 06:51 pm »
I'd tried a Mazda Citfe in the EE DAC and that was another nice one.  Lighter on the body, like the RCA but a little bit faster sounding and smoother in the upper mids.  Its like the the cleartop should be. 

I've been having some room issues lately since moving some furniture around (I've dealt with it by putting furniture movers under half of my L couch and my LP storage to move things around when I want to listen) but when things are in their new default positions, the leaner, nimbler tubing helps with some congestedness.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #828 on: 14 Apr 2011, 07:45 pm »
I just received my Mullard Long Plate Square Getter Circa 1950's today. I'll be enjoying some music tonight. I just love the sound of a Mullard tube. I really like this DAC even with the stock tube!! I think the Mullard will take it to the next level.

Gopher

« Reply #829 on: 14 Apr 2011, 08:21 pm »
 :thumb:  enjoy.  My Mullard 1952 LP is the best tube I've used in the DAC! 

Worth the expense for sure.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #830 on: 14 Apr 2011, 08:30 pm »

That's good to know.. Well worth the expense..   :D

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #831 on: 14 Apr 2011, 08:38 pm »

Couldn't agree more! :thumb:

Alexdad54

« Reply #832 on: 14 Apr 2011, 09:43 pm »

Based on the comments in this thread  I scored one of the early Mullard LP's from an eBay UK seller for what I thought was a pretty good price and it arrived today. My EE DAC is still undergoing burn-in (got about 100 hours on it right now) and before I insert the Mullard I obviously want to hear what the stock tubes along with my new Veloce cable and the Bolder fuse can do. My problem is this: when the tube arrived today it was packed in only 1 thin layer of bubblewrap  and then inserted into a pretty flimsy envelope for shipping from the UK. I'm a bit loath to try it out in the EE DAC without getting it tested in case I have to send it back to the seller (or do a PayPal claim).
Does anyone know where  I might be able to send it to see if it is still usable? It looks OK but I'm pretty new at this and couldn't really tell a bad tube from a coke bottle....
Appreciate any and all  suggestions.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #833 on: 14 Apr 2011, 09:56 pm »
Try the tube Dave.  :lol:

ajayrav

« Reply #834 on: 14 Apr 2011, 11:17 pm »
In my modded EE DAC, I think I'm seeing a slight sibilance issue, albeit on less than stellar recordings, with the Pavane.  I'm thinking of trying a NOS Mullard LP with a square getter as many of you recommend it.  What is the difference in sound between the two?  Gopher, I know you have tried both in the modded EE DAC.  I'm going to try some Wywires PC and interconnects and see what they bring into the mix as well.

Thanks,
Ajay

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #835 on: 14 Apr 2011, 11:26 pm »
In my modded EE DAC, I think I'm seeing a slight sibilance issue, albeit on less than stellar recordings, with the Pavane.  I'm thinking of trying a NOS Mullard LP with a square getter as many of you recommend it.  What is the difference in sound between the two?  Gopher, I know you have tried both in the modded EE DAC.  I'm going to try some Wywires PC and interconnects and see what they bring into the mix as well.

Thanks,
Ajay

More wide deep 3D sound stage with the Mullard which was a highlight of the EE dac w/stock tube to begin with for me. IMHO, the Pavane robs the sound stage depth in favor of a sharper, more defined, more forward presentation and definitely not my cup of tea (nor was it for the actual owner of the modded EE Dac). But you need the right Mullard tube as they are not all created equal.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

ajayrav

« Reply #836 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:47 am »
I found a 1950s Mullard LP with square getter for $140.  Is that standard for these NOS tubes?  And is this the right tube?

Ajay

Gopher

« Reply #837 on: 15 Apr 2011, 12:58 am »
I agree 100% with Robin's assessment, right down to it not being my cup of tea either (I actually just threw my Psvane 845s on audiogon today).  That said, I can see why people love them they just aren't my taste.

That price is a little high in my opinion, but they are rare enough that the seller will probably find a buyer.  My ceiling would be 100 for a single.

ramante

« Reply #838 on: 15 Apr 2011, 01:14 am »
This is what I bought from Tube World for $145:

CV491=12AU7 Mullard BVA NOS "long plates" with "SQUARE" getter halo and 2 crossbars across getter halo 1955-1957: (k61-B5I=1955) NOS slightly microphonic, recommended for amp or buffer stage (12/12.2ma)

It does sound great with my system, but I'm all about the tone and timbre.  Have only tried the stock tube and this.  This sounds so good, I can not see it being bettered, but who knows?

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #839 on: 15 Apr 2011, 01:20 am »
This is what I bought from Tube World for $145:

CV491=12AU7 Mullard BVA NOS "long plates" with "SQUARE" getter halo and 2 crossbars across getter halo 1955-1957: (k61-B5I=1955) NOS slightly microphonic, recommended for amp or buffer stage (12/12.2ma)

It does sound great with my system, but I'm all about the tone and timbre.  Have only tried the stock tube and this.  This sounds so good, I can not see it being bettered, but who knows?

My friend's got the K64 Mullard, and it very very impressive with the EE Dac in his system.  :drool: