Eastern Electric DAC

TJHUB

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #800 on: 8 Jan 2011, 10:37 pm »
My only problem with buying NOS tubes is I know absolutely nothing about tubes - so when somebody posts the testing numbers I have know idea if that is good, mediocre or bad.  I've also heard that NOS tubes are kind of a mixed bag because of people faking tubes (both now and some tubes that were faked 50 years ago)   That was the particular appeal of psvane - they are new and a known quantity.  I was also looking at a E80cc (at the top of my price range)

Is there a good tutorial on tubes and any reliable sources?  (upscale audio seems to be the only one i've see consistently)  Do I need upscale audio platinum or gold rating?

When I was looking for tubes, I found Brent Jesse at www.audiotubes.com to be a great source.  Call and talk to him, you'll see.

John151

« Reply #801 on: 9 Jan 2011, 12:39 am »
I have purchased tubes from several vendors, including several from Brent Jessee.  All transactions have been very positive, but I have had the best luck purchasing tubes from the classifieds right here on AC (your patience will be reported with significant savings).

andy71

« Reply #802 on: 10 Jan 2011, 12:12 am »
Why does audiotubes.com seem to only have one level of quality (all tubes are the same price and only choice is matched pairs or single tubes) when upscale audio has 3 grades (platinum, gold, and driver) with 3 significantly different prices?  Is there a real difference in tube grades and does tube grade matter for this dac?

Gopher

« Reply #803 on: 10 Jan 2011, 02:51 am »
If I'm not mistaken, Upscale audios LOWEST grade of tube is what they recommend as fine for DACs/CDPs. 

I'd shoot for quality testing, strength, emissions, etc., with other vendors for sure, but I'm not sure you have to go too crazy for this DAc.

"Driver grade - Lowest noise but not the lowest in microphony. Triode balance will be similar to Gold grade.
This grade is only suitable for use in the driver stage of an amplifier, or the output/buffer stage of a DAC or CD Player."

andy71

« Reply #804 on: 10 Jan 2011, 04:24 pm »
First, thank you to all the helpful folks who've given their impressions and advice - this thread has been immensly helpful.  Well after spending a lot of time reading these threads and checking descriptions of tubes all over the web I've decided to start my tube rolling with a phillips E80cc gold pin from audiotubes.com.  Should be here in a week or so and I'll post notes.  The siemens silverplate seemed like another really good option but i couldn't find one at a reasonable price.  I'm also interested to see more impressions of a Psvane tube in a stock dac.

FYI - my system is...
FLAC > sonos > eastern electric dac > B&K Ref 5 preamp > B&K Ref 125 amp > Onix Reference 1 monitors + cambridge soundworks P500 subwoofer (sealed 2x8")

arthur

« Reply #805 on: 22 Feb 2011, 07:37 pm »
The wireless G AEX has been playing for an hour without a dropout.  How odd.  I am not sure I understand it really.  I guess it is the Wireless N AEX.  I am not sure what else to say beyond I think that working on this by EE would be great because not so many people have access to an AEX G.  It would be a real detriment to not having it work with the AEX available now.  That being said, I see that this is an Apple issue.

Hi
What are your impressions about the sound quality differences between the airport express g input and the other inputs?

Thank you

grodri02

« Reply #806 on: 22 Feb 2011, 08:53 pm »
I just put in an order for this DAC....cant wait.

Question: I just bought a Jolida 302brc tube amp and Im loving it. I listen to music strictly from my PC and currently I run a coax spif cable (about 50 feet) from my Audigy 2 ZS sound card to my Onkyo 905 Home theater receiver that serves as a DAC for now. Then I connect to my jolida by RCA cables. Now that this new DAC is comming, should I upgrade my sound card? Or should I get one USB to SPIF converter? Or should I just connect USB since I dont listen to any 24 bit and just listen to downloaded MP3s or FLAC.

nature boy

« Reply #807 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:32 pm »
Bill O'Connell,

I hope you will post a link to Doug Schroeder's op-amp rolling article in Dagogo when it is available.  I'm sure it will be of interest to posters, owners and hopeful owners.  Keep that great gear coming - still love my Minimax preamp :D

NB

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #808 on: 10 Mar 2011, 09:38 pm »
Yes, I definetly will put a link to his article, I think it is still a couple of weeks away from being published though.

Thanks,
 Bill

Gopher

« Reply #809 on: 5 Apr 2011, 06:01 pm »
Bill and everyone else, has anyone tried an RCA clear top 12AU7A in the EE DAC stock or Bolder modified?

I'm wishy washing on the Pavane and the Mullard might be a hair laid back for me.  The descriptions I've read of the RCAs is intriguing, but I have no idea how it would work in THIS application.

Levi

« Reply #810 on: 5 Apr 2011, 06:12 pm »
I have the an RCA Cleartops and don't have a use for.  I don't have Wayne's mod so can't say much about it.

Gopher

« Reply #811 on: 5 Apr 2011, 06:29 pm »
On second thought, I just bought a cheap solo on ebay to listen for myself.  I love the fact that this DAC needs a single tube.  No worrying about matched pairs or anything really.  Just pop in a cheap single tube and see how it does.  Much cheaper this way.

DARTH AUDIO

« Reply #812 on: 5 Apr 2011, 08:34 pm »
12AU7=ECC82 Telefunken Germany Smooth Plates
(excellent and recommended - slightly warmer sound than ribbed plates)

Gopher

« Reply #813 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:02 am »
First impressions of the RCA Cleartop 12au7a is pretty darn good.  I'll see how things play out over the next few days, but this may be recommendable.  Its not even burned in yet, but going from memory I prefer it to the cv4003...   as for the siemens silverplate and 1952 mullard long plate...  thats to be determined.

Levi

« Reply #814 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:16 am »
Really?  I hate the clear top RCA 12AU7.  To each his own.    :lol:

First impressions of the RCA Cleartop 12au7a is pretty darn good.  I'll see how things play out over the next few days, but this may be recommendable.  Its not even burned in yet, but going from memory I prefer it to the cv4003...   as for the siemens silverplate and 1952 mullard long plate...  thats to be determined.

Gopher

« Reply #815 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:29 am »

Yep.  This is the first NOS/new tube I've liked straight into the dac.  Everything else has taken a while to burn in and for me to come around.  I'm noting a little congestion and hardness in the upper midrange, but if this thing relaxes it might be pretty good.   

What is it about the clear top that irks you?

Levi

« Reply #816 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:35 am »
It sounds like a bad solid state.  You already described it.   :lol:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #817 on: 9 Apr 2011, 01:37 am »

Levi,
 I absolutely hated the cleartop in the miniMax preamp. I've never thought about putting it into the DAC . Even on the recommendation of Gopher who's ear I trust , this tube for some reason even in our M20 integrated or any other application I have put it in for reason just does not gel with the tone I like.
 That being said, I like warm laid back as I use horns and they are dynamic enough, I prefer my presentation more from 15 rows back. But that's just me. YMMV

Gopher

« Reply #818 on: 9 Apr 2011, 02:50 am »
I can't say it will work in your rig, Bill.  But based on what I'm hearing so far its been a fun cheap experiment.  I''m eager to fast forward burn in 40 hours and see what these things sound like with some hours.

bunky

« Reply #819 on: 9 Apr 2011, 03:41 am »
a 1950's Amperex Holland 12AU7 with the D getter and the foil strip is a excellent tube for this DAC  :thumb: