Eastern Electric DAC

Gopher

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #760 on: 11 Nov 2010, 05:55 pm »
Its stated earlier in the thread that although it can be used without a preamp, it is not intended to replace one.

denjo

Just took delivery of EE Minimax DAC
« Reply #761 on: 12 Nov 2010, 04:39 pm »
I have just taken delivery of the EE Minimax DAC! I was quite surprised with the small foot print but it feels quite solid and hefty. Still early days but right out of the box I think I am going to like this DAC very much in my system! I can now understand what the buzz has been (with 39 pages of positive comments)! Reading from some other threads about the Sabre sounding sibilant, I was rather anxious if this was also true of the EE Minimax DAC. But thus far I can detect no sibilance. it sounds very smooth and the bass is powerful.

Wayne1

« Reply #762 on: 20 Nov 2010, 06:08 pm »
I just wanted to note something here. The EE Min-Max DAC WILL play high-res files up to 24/192 with NO PROBLEM. In reading the review on 6 moons, it was not clear to me if Srajan was able to get it to work properly.

I just ran some files from my laptop to the EE DAC using Foobar 2000 and the M2Tech Hi-Face. I used the BNC input to the DAC. It had no trouble accepting and playing 24/192, 24/176, 24/96 or 16/44.1. There were no dropouts, stuttering or glitches.

If you are looking for a DAC that sounds great playing ALL resolutions, you should consider the EE Mini-Max DAC.

Myounger

« Reply #763 on: 22 Nov 2010, 11:29 pm »
Looking for a good sound card recommendation to use as a output from my shuttle PC to the MiniMax DAC - gettting away from the USB input which is not fully suppport from this unit.

Currently using a Peachtree audio DAC/AMP to a a Dynaco SCA -35 and WOO-WA2 headphone amp

Tbadder1

« Reply #764 on: 23 Nov 2010, 02:51 am »
Any further news on a fully balanced version?

tz1963

« Reply #765 on: 23 Nov 2010, 09:47 pm »
Hi,

I have had the EE Dac for about half a year now and adore it. Some people on this forum have suggested putting in a hifi tuning fuse, and I thought that might be worth a try.

I am thinking of getting the new Hifi-Tuning Supreme fuse which has just come out. But I have no idea which one to get and how many.

Can anyone help me out with this?

I believe they come in two sizes, are either slow or fast-burning, and have a specific ampere ...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

NickS

« Reply #766 on: 23 Nov 2010, 10:03 pm »
I am thinking of getting the new Hifi-Tuning Supreme fuse which has just come out. But I have no idea which one to get and how many.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Any suggestions?

The fuse you will require is a 5X20mm "small" size with a value of 800mA in a fast blow "F" type.

Wayne1

« Reply #767 on: 23 Nov 2010, 10:06 pm »
Look at where the AC power cable attaches to the unit. The fuse is built into the IEC inlet. It requires 800 ma, quick blow, 250 Volt, 5 mm x 20 mm. DO NOT USE anything larger in current rating.

tz1963

« Reply #768 on: 24 Nov 2010, 09:03 am »
Thanks for the quick replies.
I'm going to give it a go.

Gopher

« Reply #769 on: 28 Nov 2010, 01:24 pm »
Anyone want to go halves on a pair of Psvane Reference 12au7-Ts for their DAC?  Waynes endorsement has me curious and I'd like to compare one to my Siemens Silverplate but don't really need 2.

ajayrav

« Reply #770 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:24 pm »
Anyone want to go halves on a pair of Psvane Reference 12au7-Ts for their DAC?  Waynes endorsement has me curious and I'd like to compare one to my Siemens Silverplate but don't really need 2.

I'm willing to do this.  PM me and we can work out the details.

Cheers,
Ajay

Gopher

« Reply #771 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:35 pm »
Ajay,

Another ACer had contacted me previously and we have a pair on order now.  Sorry.

I will report my finds though.

usp1

« Reply #772 on: 6 Dec 2010, 05:58 pm »
Ajay,

I am willing to join you. PM sent.

tz1963

« Reply #773 on: 7 Dec 2010, 08:32 pm »
Hi,
Has anyone connected the EE Dac straight to a power amp?
I am thinking of getting a Wyred4Sound power amp, which has an impedance of 90ohm (whatever that means  :?).
According to Srajan Ebaen of 6Moons you should be able to drive a power amp directly with the EE Dac, but Bill of Morningstar Audio does not recommend it.
If it was possible, would it also be possible to tri-amp, or would the EE Dac without a preamp not have sufficient power for that? 
Thanks

melbguy_357

« Reply #774 on: 9 Dec 2010, 12:35 pm »
Hi,
Has anyone connected the EE Dac straight to a power amp?
I am thinking of getting a Wyred4Sound power amp, which has an impedance of 90ohm (whatever that means  :?).
According to Srajan Ebaen of 6Moons you should be able to drive a power amp directly with the EE Dac, but Bill of Morningstar Audio does not recommend it.
If it was possible, would it also be possible to tri-amp, or would the EE Dac without a preamp not have sufficient power for that? 
Thanks

The wyred4sound amps are 60k Ohm last time I checked. Which particular amp are you after?

coke

« Reply #775 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:20 pm »
I connected mine directly to a set of these, and it didn't work very well.  From my experience with this, I wouldn't this DAC without a pre.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/products/products.aspx?cid=5&sid=0&pid=24

Levi

« Reply #776 on: 9 Dec 2010, 01:31 pm »
I would not connect my EE DAC to my amps and use it as a preamp.  You will be disappointed.  Well that goes without saying unless you have an inferior sounding preamp.  :)

tz1963

« Reply #777 on: 9 Dec 2010, 04:43 pm »
Thanks for the responses.
I was thinking of the new W4S mulichannel amps.
It does seem like it is not going to work then.
Oh, well. I'll just save a little longer.
Cheers,
T.

Wayne1

« Reply #778 on: 9 Dec 2010, 05:43 pm »
The EE MiniMax DAC certainly will have enough voltage output to drive the amps, but the output impedance on the stock EE MiniMax DAC is on the high side. The input impedance on the W4S is also a bit on the low side.

This might be feasible if an active buffer stage was used between them. At the same time, there is not too much cost difference between a very good active buffer and a full featured pre-amp. Many people here are very pleased with the Mini-Max Pre-amp.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #779 on: 9 Dec 2010, 06:00 pm »
Hi All,

I sent a DAC to Tom Tutay/Transition Audio Design and he took some measurements.
 He measured that the DAC output impedance that we have is incorrect at 22k

He said with the volume control at full open throttle he measured 7.5 K   and the highest it reached when the DAC's volume control was at the 2 or 3 oclock position was 12k which is the highest the DAC would do. Although still high, this is a lot better number going thru the tube output.