Eastern Electric DAC

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #740 on: 7 Oct 2010, 11:52 pm »
I believe Gopher is using a MiniMax preamp with his DAC and he has enjoyed the combination. I know I have also, of course I'm biased.
 Although the MiniMax is getting a little long in the tooth these days and I'm waiting for our new fully balanced/RCA  tube preamp called the Avant to arrive in 2 weeks.
 There are some photos in the review of the DAC of the preamp at 6moons. here is the link for those who haven't seen it yet along with our new tube integrated.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/easternelectric/dac_2.html

Kindest Regards,
 Bill

Bill:

Will there be any pre-release pricing?  Will there be a black faceplate?

John151

« Reply #741 on: 7 Oct 2010, 11:56 pm »
Bill:

Will there be any pre-release pricing?  Will there be a black faceplate?

+1 on both questions (oneinthepipe posted whiile I was typing).

Bill - The 6moons article states:  Tube complement is 2 x 12AX7, 5 x 12AU7,1 x 6X4/6Z4.  However, I count only 7 tubes in the picture.  Is this a typo, or is one of the tubes not visible? 

Gopher

« Reply #742 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:11 am »
Bill is correct.  The preamplifier has been a fixture in my system for about five years now...   Time is flying!  Very interesting new additions!  If they maintain the price/performance ratio of other EE gear, they should be knock outs!

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #743 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:47 am »
You missed counting the rectifier tube on the far right. 8 tubes is correct.

I know on the first shipment black faceplate is not ordered. Silver only
Let me talk with Alex and see if its a possibility.

Hadn't considered a pre release pricing as they will be here shortly. Honestly, I have to see what shipping,taxes and Customs charges me first.

Thanks,
 Bill

Kinger

« Reply #744 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:59 am »
Definitely like the looks of that pre and love the fact that it offers remote control :)

rmyers

• Industry Participant
« Reply #745 on: 12 Oct 2010, 07:02 pm »
I recently just received my EE DAC and am absolutely loving it!! :thumb:  Although, as I'm sure most of you understand I'm already thinking about what I can do to squeeze some more performance out of it.  It seems like the consensus is that a Mullard CV4003 is the way to go as far as tube rolling goes, and I intend in giving that a shot soon. 

I was wondering what some of your opinions are about if it is worth getting an asychronous USB/SPIDF converter instead of using the stock USB (isosynchronous) input.  Currently looking into:

1. M2tech hiface
2.  halide bridge
3. the new wavelength usb/spdf

I'm not using any high resolution files, so the fact that the EE only does 16/44 is fine with me, I was just wondering if the mere fact that these converters are asynchronous will be an improvement over the stock USB sound.  Has anyone done the comparison?

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #746 on: 12 Oct 2010, 08:19 pm »

I was wondering what some of your opinions are about if it is worth getting an asychronous USB/SPIDF converter instead of using the stock USB (isosynchronous) input.  Currently looking into:

1. M2tech hiface
2.  halide bridge
3. the new wavelength usb/spdf

I'm not using any high resolution files, so the fact that the EE only does 16/44 is fine with me, I was just wondering if the mere fact that these converters are asynchronous will be an improvement over the stock USB sound.  Has anyone done the comparison?

John Kenny's modified HiFace is excellent and an improvement over the stock HiFace and a huge improvement over the iMac's USB output.  If you are using a Mac, Pure Music is a big improvement over iTunes, IMO.

Why do you think the EE DAC only does 16/44?

rmyers

• Industry Participant
« Reply #747 on: 12 Oct 2010, 08:54 pm »
John Kenny's modified HiFace is excellent and an improvement over the stock HiFace and a huge improvement over the iMac's USB output.  If you are using a Mac, Pure Music is a big improvement over iTunes, IMO.

Why do you think the EE DAC only does 16/44?

Thanks for the info "oneinthepipe".  What kind of sonic improvements do your hear with the hiface over the stock USB input?  Are you using the RCA or BNC version of the hiface? Thanks
On the 6moons review it says it can go up to 192, but not on USB.  "Alex's choice of USB transceiver is the popular but limited BB PCM2707. That means standard Redbook resolution for streaming files only, not even 24/96. Why not the Tenor chip or an OEM hiFace? "I will address the USB limitations in the next version."

roscoeiii

« Reply #748 on: 12 Oct 2010, 08:59 pm »
I'd recommend that you go with a BNC, which is generally more highly regarded for coax digital signals. The BNC can also take advantage of the BNC attenuator mod that jkeny has written about on AC and elsewhere. A very inexpensive way to improve the performance of a hiFace.

I believe that even folks with only an RCA digital input are using the BNC hiFace, an attenuator and then a BNC to RCA adaptor.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #749 on: 12 Oct 2010, 09:48 pm »
Definitely like the looks of that pre and love the fact that it offers remote control :)

If Alex manages sounds like the dac this will be a sweet preamp. 8)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
« Reply #750 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:59 am »
Thanks for the info "oneinthepipe".  What kind of sonic improvements do your hear with the hiface over the stock USB input?  Are you using the RCA or BNC version of the hiface? Thanks
On the 6moons review it says it can go up to 192, but not on USB.  "Alex's choice of USB transceiver is the popular but limited BB PCM2707. That means standard Redbook resolution for streaming files only, not even 24/96. Why not the Tenor chip or an OEM hiFace? "I will address the USB limitations in the next version."

I am using the BNC version.  The modified HiFace is much quieter, there is less sibilance, cymbals sound like cymbals, brushes sound like brushes, and there is more space between the instruments. The attenuators further reduce sibilance.  The stock HiFace isn't a slouch but not nearly as good as Mr. Kenny's modified version.

denjo

« Reply #751 on: 5 Nov 2010, 11:22 pm »
Hi EE DAC owners

Can someone please advise me what the dimensions of the DAC is? I have searched the EE webisite and googled but to no avail. I do know that the unit is quite small?

Many thanks for reading,

Pax

Wayne1

« Reply #752 on: 5 Nov 2010, 11:29 pm »
The EE MiniMax DAC is 11" W x 9" D x 3" H.

etcarroll

• SE PA. by way of Boston, MA.
« Reply #753 on: 5 Nov 2010, 11:32 pm »
But sounds much bigger!   :wink:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #754 on: 6 Nov 2010, 12:32 am »
If Alex manages sounds like the dac this will be a sweet preamp. 8)

The Avant Preamp's and M88 integrated amps plus the DACs have shipped as of 2 days ago, I should have them by next Friday.

denjo

« Reply #755 on: 6 Nov 2010, 01:26 am »
The EE MiniMax DAC is 11" W x 9" D x 3" H.

Thanks Wayne! That is quite a small footprint!

carusoracer

« Reply #756 on: 6 Nov 2010, 10:40 pm »
The Avant Preamp's and M88 integrated amps plus the DACs have shipped as of 2 days ago, I should have them by next Friday.
:o :o :o :o
My Minimax is just broken in :lol: 4 years later I still luv it! Anxious to hear the new pre.
What is the pricepoint?

Gopher

« Reply #757 on: 7 Nov 2010, 12:59 am »
My Minimax is just broken in :lol: 4 years later I still luv it! Anxious to hear the new pre.
What is the pricepoint?

Tell me about it!  That preamp has been the ONLY constant in my rig for nearly SIX YEARS...  Will be interested in hearing how the Avant does...  Especially now that I have an S-30 amp which favors balanced operation.

Bill,

Has the 'minimax' line been completed?  It looks like Eastern Electric is stepping up their products in terms of target audience a bit. 

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #758 on: 8 Nov 2010, 02:37 am »
What is the pricepoint?

They are selling in HK for $1533.00  but I have to add shipping at $110.00 and whatever Customs charges which will probably be around $50.00(if it's $100 then $1750.00) so price will be $1700.00

Celloman

« Reply #759 on: 11 Nov 2010, 04:40 pm »
Is it true (or is there an error on the EE website) that the output impedance od the MiniMax DAC are 22Kohms for the tube output and 10Kohms for the SS output ? If it is the case, why so high ? To drive an amp directly, lower is always better, at least lower than 1Kohms...