Eastern Electric DAC

mfsoa

Re: Eastern Electric DAC
« Reply #700 on: 8 Sep 2010, 12:03 am »
Got it tonight.
I'm really going to wait before tube rolling...
waiting...
waiting...
OK it's been an hour, time to put an RFT in there.
Much better right away, cool
-Mike

ltr317

« Reply #701 on: 8 Sep 2010, 04:49 am »
OK, I've tried a number of tubes in the last few weeks; my favorites to date have been just a regular Siemens, a long plate Mullard (can't read the etched codes well enough to guess its vintage) and a Brimar 13D5. 

I've got a Siemens silverplate, but it hasn't been able to totally win me over yet; kinda of the same with the Valvo red label gold pin E80CC.  I stumbled across a Mullard gold pin 10M (Master Series) 12au7 and put it in today....I've only listened an hour or so now, but I think I've found my new favorite!!  It seems to combine the best points of the Siemens (detail and extension), while retaining that smooth Mullard midrange to die for  :)!  Plus, I think its the soundstage champion of all the tubes I've tried so far.

The great news is that this one didn't cost much comparatively, certainly less than the Siemens silverplates go for; the bad news is that they seem to be pretty hard to find and are pricey when you do find them.  But if any of you have a chance to try one of these, I highly recommend it.

Randy

Did you buy the Mullard 10M/gold pins from me? 

Audioclyde

« Reply #702 on: 8 Sep 2010, 11:18 am »

Did you buy the Mullard 10M/gold pins from me?

No; it came from a hobbyist in Canada.

jkelly

« Reply #703 on: 8 Sep 2010, 09:17 pm »
On a MAC with Itunes - do I need a driver to get digital out on the USB port?

Jeff

Wig

« Reply #704 on: 11 Sep 2010, 03:28 pm »
 Guys,

Needing your tube recommendation for my system for my EE Dac? I have tried Mullard CV4003, 1960ish GE Triple Mica 5814 and 1960ish Telefunken smoothplates when I had my Belles 21A and the smoothplates were fabulous, detailed with rock solid imaging. The GE came in second with the Mullards closely behind, they just lacked the bass and imaging the smoothplates had. Will be rolling my tubes whan I receive my unit and it breaks in.  I have some Jans 5814A ECG 8739, wonder if they are better than stock?

Thanks,
 Wig :D

Herron VTSP-3A Neutral Tube Pre with detail
 Herron M1 Mono solid state amps with the liquidity of tubes
 Ayon CD2 Tube CD Player
 EE Dac
 Avalon Ascendant

« Last Edit: 11 Sep 2010, 09:20 pm by Wig »

mfsoa

coke

« Reply #706 on: 15 Sep 2010, 02:28 pm »
I placed an order for one earlier this week. I can't wait, and after reading that review I'm even more excited  :thumb:

Big Red Machine

« Reply #707 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:01 pm »
I placed an order for one earlier this week. I can't wait, and after reading that review I'm even more excited  :thumb:

It is sweet.  I found the SS mode to be bland.  it will be easy to find a smoother tube than the stock, which isn't really bad to start with.  I have big fingers so reaching into that small space to pull out the tube is a problem for me. 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #708 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:17 pm »
On one hand it's disappointing that there isn't much difference between tube and solid state, but on the other hand good tube and good solid state should sound similar.  (And as the state of art advances they do.)

What I really like about the EE DAC is the volume control, so I can save a pre-amp and another set of interconnects.

Wig

« Reply #709 on: 15 Sep 2010, 03:57 pm »
 Mine is scheduled for delivery tonight and I can't wait!

Wig :D

Turnandcough

« Reply #710 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:10 am »
I've been interested in this DAC for a while but I have a few niggles. I don't want to be a party pooper, I'm probably over thinking this and in the end what really matters is the sound but...

Why the preamp section? Most people already use a preamp and from what I gather there's no option of bypassing it. In addition to adding costs couldn't this extra circuitry potentially degrade the sound.

Somebody mentioned the SS output was "bland". Would this imply that the ESS chip inherently sounds sterile and that the tube output colors the signal making things sound more...pleasant? If so why even bother with the SS output?

Seems to me that the $750 price point could still have been met with balanced outputs and a better USB chip by omitting these.   

I'm probably going to order one anyway but nonetheless... :? 

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #711 on: 18 Sep 2010, 01:30 am »
IMAC via Pure Music or M1 Piano using Brimar 13D5 here in my MiniMax DAC.
 Big step in sound fed into my MiniMax PRE into two Virtue Sensation 901s and out to Omega SuperHemps.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #712 on: 18 Sep 2010, 02:37 am »
I've been interested in this DAC for a while but I have a few niggles. I don't want to be a party pooper, I'm probably over thinking this and in the end what really matters is the sound but...

Why the preamp section? Most people already use a preamp and from what I gather there's no option of bypassing it. In addition to adding costs couldn't this extra circuitry potentially degrade the sound.

Somebody mentioned the SS output was "bland". Would this imply that the ESS chip inherently sounds sterile and that the tube output colors the signal making things sound more...pleasant? If so why even bother with the SS output?

Seems to me that the $750 price point could still have been met with balanced outputs and a better USB chip by omitting these.   

I'm probably going to order one anyway but nonetheless... :?

Yep, you're overthinking it.  I believe that most who purchased this were interested in a tubed dac primarily and only a handful will ever use the SS circuit or the preamp volume control features.  Can't please everyone but sure, I would prefer no volume control and balanced outputs.  Maybe next version?

stefan534

« Reply #713 on: 21 Sep 2010, 03:55 am »
I think there
Yep, you're overthinking it.  I believe that most who purchased this were interested in a tubed dac primarily and only a handful will ever use the SS circuit or the preamp volume control features.  Can't please everyone but sure, I would prefer no volume control and balanced outputs.  Maybe next version?

I think there will be plenty of people at this price point wanting to plug straight into a power amp, myself included.

Does anyone know when the next batch of Minimax are arriving? Cheers, Stefan

Wig

« Reply #714 on: 26 Sep 2010, 04:35 am »
 Guys,

Have any of you discovered that the EE Dac sounds better with the phase switch lit red? Also, the silverstar hi-fi fuse definitely made a difference!

Wig :green:

Turnandcough

« Reply #715 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:27 pm »
Oh baby! Kicks some but when red!
Listening to Peter Frampton right now and green is not good!
Red is most definitely where it is at!
One of the biggest improvements you can make. :duh:
If is not GREEN, RED ORANGE, GREEN you may as well just turn it off!

??? Doesn't the red LED indicate tube output?

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #716 on: 26 Sep 2010, 02:41 pm »
Tube is orange!!!  :wink:

Kinger

« Reply #717 on: 26 Sep 2010, 09:59 pm »
Wig - Could you elaborate as to why you like the phase switch in the red as opposed to the green?

mfsoa

« Reply #718 on: 27 Sep 2010, 09:52 pm »
Hi Bill,
Can you please comment on the output impedance of the dac? The manual lists it as 22K for tube, 10K for SS.

I'm no engineer and I don't even play one on TV, but aren't these values kinda high for a source?  Has anyone ever reported issues with driving an amp directly from the dac? 

Can anyone tell me the output impedance for a "typical" CD player (whatever that is?)

Isn't the 22K output impedance actually higher than the input impedance of many amps? I think you'd be hard-pressed to maintain the optimal 10:1 input:output ratio I see recommended.

I ask just out of curiosity as I use an active pre and the sound is still friggin amazing.

But just wonderin'...

Thanks

-Mike

mjosef

« Reply #719 on: 27 Sep 2010, 09:56 pm »
Mike I was thinking the same thing...lets see what the answer brings.
Most cd players o/I is under 1K...my CA 540C is under 100 ohms.

I also noticed that the volume pot is directly feeding the output RCAs.